The Student Room Group

Longer school days on way as George Osborne vows to scrap 3.30pm home time

Scroll to see replies

That's going to drain the kids out.

My school finishes at 4 and I am so tired when I get home.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
But why must everything be so regimented? :sad:

You can provide all those things as optional for those that need it. In primary school me and my friends would get exercise playing about in the field and trees outside out school. We would not be aloud to climb trees in school hours because of heath and safety. In high school I would bugger off on my bike up to the local crag and rock climb on my own in the quarry. To revise and learn things I have always needed/wanted on my own time to just go though questions on my own without distractions. I can't concentrate that well around other people. I would not have wanted to be forced to attend study groups.

More and more it about being told how to do everything rather than giving you some freedom to work it out yourself. Also what about family time? I know you could argue that both parents working already encroacher on that but it just seems like we are collectivity missing the point...

Your views on society and how people should live are always nice CB.

I suspect the motivation for this is the capitalist urbanite culture where schools act as carehomes for two parent working families to go bust their asses to meet the mortgage payments as the government pretends we're living in paradise.

At risk of giving away who this is, what you said regarding us being told how to do everything is why I find London so dull, everything is a structured session you have a ticket and allotted time for.
Reply 42
They should make all schools boarding schools to give parents a rest.
I think it's a good idea, my school day finishes at 4 and honestly I think that's the earliest it should be. There's very few jobs where you finish before anyway so these early finishes don't prepare people for the real world. Plus George Osbourne has said these longer school days will be for secondary schools so it's not children that are going to be in school longer it's teenagers which only makes sense! Plus he has said this hour will be for extra-curricular activities, such as sport and art so it's not even that they're going to be in lessons longer. I honestly don't understand the upset from some people.
Original post by Student403
7am

absolutely disgusting
Original post by + polarity -
absolutely disgusting

Renders the complaint of 9am lectures when we get to uni useless though :dontknow:

It's like a lie in for us :laugh:
Original post by Maker

The state should adopt children and raise them in every single religion simultaneously where they will all wear the same clothes so as to prevent fashion privilege for the wealthy.

After completing your exams at age 18, you take out a life mortgage which covers your tuition fees, your accommodation in a studio apartment in a vibrant British city and your NHS care right up until we make a death plan for you as you wait for the grim reaper in a privatised end of life care unit.
(edited 8 years ago)
Renders the complaint of 9am lectures when we get to uni useless though :dontknow:

yeah that's true

I think you'd get used to starting at that time very quickly though :sexface:
Why not make some activities out-of-school and free-choice, like sports or music. Everyone still has to do it but it's more similar to homework.
yeah that's true

I think you'd get used to starting at that time very quickly though :sexface:

Hmm probably :/

Are early starts common in engineering?
Hmm probably :/

Are early starts common in engineering?

yeah :pain:

but the turnout for early lectures really fluctuates, peaking close to exam time :tongue:
Reply 51
Original post by Mahmoud X
The state should adopt children and raise them in every single religion simultaneously where they we all wear the same clothes so as to prevent fashion privilege for the wealthy.

After completing your exams at age 18, you take out a life mortgage which covers your tuition fees, your accommodation in a studio apartment in a vibrant British city and your NHS care right up until we make a death plan for you as you wait for the grim reaper in a privatised end of life care unit.

I agree
Original post by Maker

I actually think a solution for those who come from disadvantaged backgrounds.

I also partially agree with you that boarding schools are something that shpuld be made available to everyone regardless of income or ability.
yeah :pain:

but the turnout for early lectures really fluctuates, peaking close to exam time :tongue:

Ooh

Looking forward to it, tbh :smile:
To be honest I really don't see the point of this, my school days are already too lengthy, why on earth do I need 2 hours 'study' periods then 20 minutes break and another hour lunch break??? All that time just means I lose focus on getting work done, my days are much more productive when I come in and go straight from lesson to lesson with only one small 20 minute break. I am also done by about 1pm when I do this which means I can come home for lunch.

Compared to my least productive day in which I have 2 study periods and an extra hour lesson at the end of the day. By the time I get to that last lesson I feel groggy and am not in the mood to do any learning. Well, that is just my experience anyway.

Personally I would get rid of all these breaks and have short high intensity days at school, it helps keep my focus and I remain ready to learn throughout the day, also everyone is happy when they can leave at about 1pm as opposed to 4:20.

Lmao as if. I used to get up at 7.30am every day for school but now anything before 10am is a write-off for me at uni.

Original post by Dannyboy2015
4:20.

blaze it
Original post by Arkasia
Lmao as if. I used to get up at 7.30am every day for school but now anything before 10am is a write-off for me at uni.

blaze it

Ah fair enough :tongue:

We have to get up at 5am because school is on the opposite side of town..

ALTHOUGH that does give me an hour long journey of music time :love:
Reply 57
It's a good idea kids need to be prepared for the real world. 9-6pm with the odd 9-10pm to simulate the client needing it done yesterday.
Ah fair enough :tongue:

We have to get up at 5am because school is on the opposite side of town..

ALTHOUGH that does give me an hour long journey of music time :love:

5am...

allow it
Original post by Arkasia
5am...

allow it

If only

Quick Reply

Latest