The Student Room Group

Women Protection Bill protested by religious leaders as 'un-Islamic'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by leavingthecity
Also, there is a distinct lack of women on these threads that criticise Islam's treatment of women.

Don't get me wrong, I am very grateful for and impressed by the TSR boys that regularly appear to debate the issue, but.....where are the girls to speak up against this?!?!?

The ones who defend Islam bring culture into it when parts of the Quran permit men to beat their wives and have multiple wives anyway.

I don't know why more girls criticise it tbh.
Reply 101
Also, there is a distinct lack of women on these threads that criticise Islam's treatment of women.

Don't get me wrong, I am very grateful for and impressed by the TSR boys that regularly appear to debate the issue, but.....where are the girls to speak up against this?!?!?

The women are too busy defending a book that claims that Men are superior to women.
Original post by chemting
I've always wondered that. For example, when a cartoonists draws the prophet, or Bill Maher says a joke, there is outrage on a huge level. Muslims riot on the streets, they go on a rampage and burn busses, embassies etc. Legions of people protests and calls for Blasphemy laws in Western countries...

When Saudi Arabia, obviously being a False Islamic State, does something horrible in the name of Islam, the reaction is merely "Not True Islam". Where is the level of passion you get for blasphemers? Where is call for boycotting Saudi Arabia? Where are the street riots in Egypt and Pakistan when the Grand Mufti issues a fatwa on Pokémon, clearly bringing the religion into disrepute. Or banning women from Starbucks, or Raif Badawi.

Reminds me of a relatively recent post by a now banned user...

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by QE2
Not strictly true. The Beiruit bombing, especially, got a lot of coverage. I even checked the Daily Mail (when having this same discussion with someone) and it had at least a couple of articles every day for several days.

Oh. Well tbf, I've only found non-mainstream biased sources like Aljazeera, which covers the Muslim world. I don't really read DM but thanks for pointing that out. However, I believe the outrage itself had something to do it, apparently noone wanted to pray for Beirut. It's no evidence for "Islamophobic west" mind you.

Original post by QE2
What people seem to forget when bringing this up is that there are several factors that determine newsworthiness. Two of the most important are closeness of connection, and frequency. Something that happens in London is of far more interest to British people and media than something that happens in Baghdad, and vice versa. Paris is just about the closest capital to the UK, and one of the most visited by Brits. We learn French at school. We have a close bond that is centuries old.

You're right "newsworthiness" is key here. People rioting, burning busses, threatening embassies, killing journalists is newsworthy. The fact that Egyptian people (and Muslims throughout) has the right to tell the government of Denmark to control a private newspaper is newsworthy. Writing "an open-letter to Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi" is not newsworthy. Randoms Imams in random British mosques, some in remote towns like Dewsbury, saying "ISIS is bad" is not newsworthy. I also don't see why just "condemning ISIS" is the standard for Muslims in this country. That's a very low standard considering some factions of Al-Qaeda, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Iranian Mullahs, Shia fundamentalists all condemn ISIS.

Original post by QE2
And if an event is a regular occurrance, it is less newsworthy that a unique event. The only mystery is why people would think that British people and media would give equal weight to the Paris attacks and the baghdad bomb!

I think its more about the victims though, but I'm not comparing them. You're right, it is expected for British media to cover Paris way more than Baghdad.

Original post by QE2
Another thing that some people seem to have missed is that the modern incarnation of Islamist terrorism started years before the invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan, so those events can't be used as justification. There were several major attacks on US interests before they had invaded anywhere. What was the justification for those?

True Islam™? Although US has been meddling with the Arab world before the invasion.
However, even before that, Islamic Empires invaded, pillaged, killed, kept slaves and was out-right Imperialists, as Islam taken at its full is filled with Imperialism. I view it as Islam is getting out-Islamed by non-Muslims.
The council of Islamic Ideology was created in 1962... not 2001. The Ahmadis were given second class status and their systematic persecution started in 1974 (actually it began earlier). The persecution/genocide of Bengalis were in 1971 (and earlier too), not 2001. There are deep-rooted problems in Pakistan, and Islam has a lot to do with it. It's baffling how many people try to blame it all on the West.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by QE2
It would be nice, just occasionally, to see a Muslim group or individuals saying that they unequivocally condemn slavery in all its forms, or that any form of domestic violence is unacceptable, or that every statement that discriminates or opresses on the grounds of gender or sexuality should be robustly denounced.

And condemnations of terrorist atrocities that did not contain a "but..." would be good as well.
As you say, the ummah is more that happy to unite in unequivocal and absolute condemnation (and some crazy ****) over a bit of ink on paper, so why not the same level of unity and condemnation over something that is actually bad, in the real world?

Salman Rushdie calls it the "but brigade"...
Original post by Hydeman
I found this to be the case immediately after the Paris attacks as well. A lot of Islamists and regressive leftists on TSR forwent completely any kind of condemnation of the attacks, instead choosing to moan and cry about the potential backlash against Muslims and/or increased scrutiny of Islam (which hadn't yet materialised). :

I noticed that. It was absolutely disgusting. Especially from the regressives. A
Original post by Hydeman
I found this to be the case immediately after the Paris attacks as well. A lot of Islamists and regressive leftists on TSR forwent completely any kind of condemnation of the attacks, instead choosing to moan and cry about the potential backlash against Muslims and/or increased scrutiny of Islam (which hadn't yet materialised)

I noticed that. It was absolutely disgusting. Certain members, who will remain nameless, really showed their true colours.
Original post by Hydeman
The United States supported Israel. That was one of the 'provocations' cited by bin Laden, if I recall correctly.

If you really wanted to disprove this 'American foreign policy creates Islamist terrorism' nonsense, all you'd need to do is point anybody proposing this to the Barbary wars and the grievance over which they were fought. :rolleyes:

Ha! yes, Islamist terrorism created American foreign policy! who would've known?

The letter to Thomas Jefferson clearly stated "it is written in their Koran"... and the Ottoman Empire was fully supported by scholars - True Islam™?
Why did s/he get banned?

Although, I'd love to know where s/he got the atheist/non-religious statistic from?
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
The ones who defend Islam bring culture into it when parts of the Quran permit men to beat their wives and have multiple wives anyway.

I don't know why more girls criticise it tbh.

I know! Where's the outrage?
Original post by wdkmwd
The women are too busy defending a book that claims that Men are superior to women.

But even western women are quiet on the issue!

It makes my head spin, to see comments by women who defend the Quran.

Yes! including "feminists"!
I know! Where's the outrage?

I'm outraged! Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 113

Most 3rd Feminists are all regressive leftists who aren't afraid to use false facts to demonise the majority, but would never talk about actual facts like the oppression of women in muslim countries in-order not to offend a minority.

I'm forever arguing with the idiots on here who try and defend the misogyny in the Qur'an, although it's mostly against Muslims. I don't think a lot of western women are actually aware of the true teachings of Islam. They just swallow the "we're treated like queens" rhetoric from Muslim women.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chemting
Why did s/he get banned?

I'm not sure.

Although, I'd love to know where s/he got the atheist/non-religious statistic from?

What I could find...

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)

The Muslims girls who know their rights are more than happy with Islam.
Original post by blah3210
The Muslims girls who know their rights are more than happy with Islam.

Which rights are these, now? If you're referring to the rights conferred by the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, then either these girls don't know their rights, or they don't know that Islam doesn't provide them. (Or, in what I expect is a small minority of cases, they actively don't want these rights.)
Cheers :smile: will have a look at them later. I only ask because I always look at any data about religion coming out of the Arab world with skepticism. That goes for atheism and Fastest Growing Religion™ claims.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hydeman
Which rights are these, now? If you're referring to the rights conferred by the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, then either these girls don't know their rights, or they don't know that Islam doesn't provide them. (Or, in what I expect is a small minority of cases, they actively don't want these rights.)

The UDHR is an arbitrary, man-made declaration that cannot supersede the Qur'an and the Sunnah - the rights conferred therein are considered by Muslims to have a divine source. Even so, Muslims are under a divine obligation to obey the laws of the land they're in; there's nothing preventing a Muslim woman from reading up on her rights in her country and exercising those rights.

As for the rights of women in Islam, it is generally recognised by Islamic scholars that the rights of women are more numerous than the rights of men in shari'ah. Critics of Islam like to focus on verse 4:34 (the "wife-beating" verse) but such criticisms are misinformed. Educate yourselves: http://nour-dv.org.uk/tafseer-surah-434-does-islam-really-allow-wife-beating/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending