The Student Room Group

Why does the media depict intersex people as transsexuals?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ABsoluteX
I'm still going to continue using it because it's correct. It was always used until someone came up with intersex.

And they also used to call individuals with cerebral palsy spasti'cs, do you still use that term too?
Original post by Twinpeaks
And they also used to call individuals with cerebral palsy spasti'cs, do you still use that term too?

Wasn't so long ago there was a charity shop not far from my house in Wales called 'The ******* charity'.

I might use it yes.
Wasn't so long ago there was a charity shop not far from my house in Wales called 'The ******* charity'.

I might use it yes.

Oh God, where in Wales was that? Probably up North no doubt.
Original post by Twinpeaks
Oh God, where in Wales was that? Probably up North no doubt.

Was only 7/8 years ago, south west. Back when people didn't get offended so easily.
Was only 7/8 years ago, south west. Back when people didn't get offended so easily.

You sound like my Granddad.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Maybe you should shut up because you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Darn. I hit a nerve, didn't I? Pretty please spill your more of your knowledge on this.

Or are you going to tell me having not having one sex organ is as normal as having one head? Just sayin.

I don't have to be a transgender or intersex to know there are differences. Or are you also going to tell what the differences should be to me?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 66
Original post by Macy1998
Transgender and intersex are and easily confused with each other. Both of them dress and behave in ways that don't line up with their private parts. So no surprise anyone would be confused.

Then you realize the transgender wants to physically be the sex they believe they are while the intersex already have a mixture of both sexes.

I read an article that intersex is a deformity and not an third sex.

some say that I don't agree but one thing I do know is if you're treating any physical condition that shouldn't make you transgender. And that's my issue with it. Because it's well known she wasn't transgender and though she was the first to go through those procedures it doesn't make her transgender. She still was born female. I think the media knew better than to claim her like that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by Macy1998
Darn. I hit a nerve, didn't I? Pretty please spill your more of your knowledge on this.

Or are you going to tell me having not having one sex organ is as normal as having one head? Just sayin.

I don't have to be a transgender or intersex to know there are differences. Or are you also going to tell what the differences should be to me?

well it could see as female genita being a deformity as well because when a male embryo doesn't have the right hormones his genitalia will look like a female's.
Hi All,

Thanks for your interest in Intersex people.

I will read through this thread and reply to you all as a intersex person - fully when i get on a computer^^

Heamaphrodite is mythical but we coinrd (((herm hugs))) we use it amongst ourselves only

DSD Disorders of Sexual Development is the medical term - i dislike it a lot! Some change "disorder" to "differences" but hey we all develop sexually diffrerently!

Intersex is a lived expirence and a variant; not a set of conditions. Intersex people are born a mix of male and female or niether of the 2.

Human rights violation - intersex people are operated as children without thier consent. This is usually to comform to heteronormativity and sex-binary

Some intersex are trans but in my opinion transitions makes no sense if you were born "i' can you really become f or m?

Intersex people are men women or gender neutral, they can be LGBTIQQA but most are not

Key difference from Trans - intersex are born a mixture or niether. We have our bodies violated by medical world who shouldn't do harm. Trans in a nutshell is about mind n body not matching a sex or gender.

Intersex is a biological sex. Not a gender, orientation, exprsssion, fetish, sexual position or sexuality and not a choice - you can't become intersex!

Thank you

***note i am visually impaired n typing on my phone n not good with spelling n proof reading****

With love & respect

Anis x

The silenced intersx lad; british born pakistani from muslim family but agonistic, registered blind, anxiety and depression. Suspected; bipolar, ocd, aspergers, dyslexia and slight speech impediment... the NHS says can name a few disorders but dont like giving labels- they think being Vi visually impaired & IS intersex is enough on my plate! Volubteering, campaigning, disabilities activism is my life! I don't want to be sesationalised or deal with fandom - sorry n tar x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending