The Student Room Group

Help with A2 Geography 40 mark essays

Hi guys,
I'm half way through my A2 course and done a fair few 40 mark essays for AQA board and haven't been able to get above 24/40. I got an A last yeah and I got an A in history so I can't understand why I can't seem to do well in these essays. I really need 3As for Uni and any help would be appreciated; such as how many words I should write (I can now use a computer in my exams) and how to actually obtain many marks. My feedback is always really wishy washy and doesn't actually help me. I study tectonics and weather for the essays. Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Ahh I understand what you mean! AQA History essays seem so much harder for me than last year (I got an A last year, too). All I've gathered is that the 45 mark questions expect A LOT of detail.
I take geography at a2 and the 40 markers are such a struggle. The highest I've managed to get is 30 in tectonics and all I can say is have a balance of physical and human based points (eg if it's factors affecting earthquake hazards, include population density and time of day, then relief and vicinity to water or something) as well as using as many case studies as possible but only when relevant to embellish points.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Try and know your case studies inside and out, and learn two contrasting case studies (eg. For tectonics the Japanesd earthquake is excellent to contrast to the one in Haitii because of the economic differences between the countries). AQA also really like synopcicty, which is what will really get you higher marks- try and link different modules within the course. For example, if you were doing a tectonics question on the Japanese earthquake, link it back to world cities and the effects on Tokyo and possibly the rest of the world due to a world city being affected (I know you might not be doing these modules but these are the only ones I can remember!)
Practice makes perfect, but if you do a 40 mark essay every time you do a past paper you will quickly want to set fire to your college. I used to split past papers into two so sometimes I'd do just the shorter answer questions or just the 40 markers. To save time and make it more efficient, I also used to just plans for the 40 mark essays, such as titles I'd put I , which case studies I'd use & the important points I'd use from it. Spider diagrams and tables are a brilliant way to learn the different aspects of a case study.
Familiarise yourself with the General mark scheme for all 40 markers and Lastly, your teacher can probably advise you better than any of us! Try and organise some time to sit down with them and go through some that you've already done or some plans you've written for others
I've attached a screenshot of a table I used to learn one of my case studies, hope it helps!:biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by Louiseee_
Try and know your case studies inside and out, and learn two contrasting case studies (eg. For tectonics the Japanesd earthquake is excellent to contrast to the one in Haitii because of the economic differences between the countries). AQA also really like synopcicty, which is what will really get you higher marks- try and link different modules within the course. For example, if you were doing a tectonics question on the Japanese earthquake, link it back to world cities and the effects on Tokyo and possibly the rest of the world due to a world city being affected (I know you might not be doing these modules but these are the only ones I can remember!)
Practice makes perfect, but if you do a 40 mark essay every time you do a past paper you will quickly want to set fire to your college. I used to split past papers into two so sometimes I'd do just the shorter answer questions or just the 40 markers. To save time and make it more efficient, I also used to just plans for the 40 mark essays, such as titles I'd put I , which case studies I'd use & the important points I'd use from it. Spider diagrams and tables are a brilliant way to learn the different aspects of a case study.
Familiarise yourself with the General mark scheme for all 40 markers and Lastly, your teacher can probably advise you better than any of us! Try and organise some time to sit down with them and go through some that you've already done or some plans you've written for others
I've attached a screenshot of a table I used to learn one of my case studies, hope it helps!:biggrin:

Thank you so much this is so helpful!
Reply 5
Thanks everyone for the help!

this thread is really helpful however I am unable to view the screen shots, do you think that you could attach the documents if possible please.
thanks x
Original post by EmmaO'Neill
this thread is really helpful however I am unable to view the screen shots, do you think that you could attach the documents if possible please.
thanks x

I'll try but unfortunately they're on my iPad so might be a bit of a faff
*edit* sorry, I'm not even able to upload the document from my laptop because the file size is too large :frown: grrr
(edited 8 years ago)
I'll try but unfortunately they're on my iPad so might be a bit of a faff
*edit* sorry, I'm not even able to upload the document from my laptop because the file size is too large :frown: grrr

No problem thanks for trying. X
Original post by EmmaO'Neill
No problem thanks for trying. X

If you would really like it you could always PM me your email address and I could email it to you?
Hi !

I've learnt 4 topics for aqa geog: world cities, plate tectonics, weather and climate and development and globalisation.

I'm really tempted to only revise 3 though because I am AWFUL at weather and climate...any opinions?

I cannot see myself doing a physical 40 marker anyway:s
Original post by Abby_duce
Hi !

I've learnt 4 topics for aqa geog: world cities, plate tectonics, weather and climate and development and globalisation.

I'm really tempted to only revise 3 though because I am AWFUL at weather and climate...any opinions?

My college actually only taught us three so they could teach the, in more depth 😂 But I would advise speaking to your teacher first, as I'm not sure if you have to do 2 physical
Hi !

I've only been taught world cities, tectonics and ecosystems so I know that I have to answer a physical essay. As you have an option to do either a physical or human essay, go for it if you're super confident about having to answer a human essay. The fourth option just gives you another choice if the essay question for one of the sections is abysmal :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hannahrob97
I've only been taught world cities, tectonics and ecosystems so I know that I have to answer a physical essay. As you have an option to do either a physical or human essay, go for it if you're super confident about having to answer a human essay. The fourth option just gives you another choice if the essay question for one of the sections is abysmal :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have learnt those 3 and conflicts, I know I am probably going to do a physical essay anyway so am really tempted to only revise the 3 that you have been taught, but I am unsure because what if a really awful q comes up and I am forced to answer it.
My college actually only taught us three so they could teach the, in more depth 😂 But I would advise speaking to your teacher first, as I'm not sure if you have to do 2 physical

see I think its much better doing three in depth than 4, plus if you know what you're doing you don't have to spend time in the exam faffing about deciding what to choose!
see I think its much better doing three in depth than 4, plus if you know what you're doing you don't have to spend time in the exam faffing about deciding what to choose!

It is, but we did world cities, plate tectonics and weather so we pretty much had to do the 40 marker on a physical subject :P Luckily the plate tectonics one that year was really nice. It's just difficult what to pick because you can get rubbish short answer ones as well as rubbish long answer ones, just depends on which ones you'd rather lose marks on.

Quick Reply

Latest