The Student Room Group

Longer school days on way as George Osborne vows to scrap 3.30pm home time

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hanna23810
I think it's a good idea, my school day finishes at 4 and honestly I think that's the earliest it should be. There's very few jobs where you finish before anyway so these early finishes don't prepare people for the real world. Plus George Osbourne has said these longer school days will be for secondary schools so it's not children that are going to be in school longer it's teenagers which only makes sense! Plus he has said this hour will be for extra-curricular activities, such as sport and art so it's not even that they're going to be in lessons longer. I honestly don't understand the upset from some people.

The upset is that making the school day longer really starts to cut into spare time and family time. Time at home is just as valuable for a child's development as time at school. School time eating up spare time is not a good thing at all, and it could lead to all sorts of problems further down the line if it gets too bad.

School is not there solely to prepare kids for the world of work. Not only that, but "more time in school = improved education" is a very simplistic way of looking at things - I would argue that quality is far more important than quantity. There are countries with better education than we have which haven't had to lengthen school days to achieve that.

For god's sake, let kids be kids.
Original post by Student403
In Asia, but not the academic side :wink:

Qatar lol

I'm from the UK/US by nationality - we're just expats over here :tongue:

I lived in Qatar for 3 years before moving to the UK :smile:
Ugh despise Osbourne. Awful, immoral man.This country is for the dogs if he ever ends up in number 10. 😭 but thats just my opinion :smile: As for this question? Quality of teaching not length of school day. 3:30 is long enough.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BhavyaB
I lived in Qatar for 3 years before moving to the UK :smile:

:eek: Nice!
I'd prefer getting up later and leaving later. My brain doesn't function well so early in the morning
Only one hour a day- would be much more if Michael Gove had his say/
Original post by caitlinford3
I'd prefer getting up later and leaving later. My brain doesn't function well so early in the morning

If some schools offered this then there would be less traffic on the roads at 830 in the morning.
I read on a quote that the planned extra time would be spent on sports and extra curricular after lesson time - not adding to lesson hours. The media does like to twist things :rolleyes:
Original post by Gingerbread101
I read on a quote that the planned extra time would be spent on sports and extra curricular after lesson time - not adding to lesson hours. The media does like to twist things :rolleyes:

Unrelated, but have you noticed how long your post-bit is? :lol: All that white space. :eek:
Original post by Hydeman
Unrelated, but have you noticed how long your post-bit is? :lol: All that white space. :eek:

Haha it is quite long :colondollar: too many titles :lol:
Original post by barnetlad
If some schools offered this then there would be less traffic on the roads at 830 in the morning.

There is a school that does actually in England, I think it's something like 1pm - 7pm, which although 7 is late I'd much prefer it, I'm revising at 7pm anyway
Original post by Legendary Quest
I already start at 8.30 and finish at 3.30 :frown:
Seriously though, children aren't machines. Like the above poster said, they need time for themselves. It's all part of growing up! Just look at the kids in China and Japan.

Agree.

Would rather keep the school day and holidays as they are.

Rather than churn out these emotionless maths and engineering machines like they do in China.

:wink:
Original post by z33
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :cry2:
my school starts 8:30 and ends 3:10 but even THAT is long
swear school should be like 09:00 - 12:00 and then 15:00 - 18:00

What would you do between 12:00 and 15:00?
Original post by MarleyZ
Chancellor George Osborne is offering new funding for schools to add in an extra 5 hours of lessons per week, which will be announced in today's budget.

What do you think about having longer school days? Beneficial to students?

What would you prefer the extra time to be spent on? Lessons, homework, extra curricular activities (ie. sport or drama)? :K:

BBC article here

Like I've been saying forever, conservative focus on economic growth not your well being.

It is technically, from an educational/ economic standpoint, a good idea to increase teaching hours in order to improve the education in this country.

However as soon as you factor in emotions, it's not a great ideal, but soon everyone will just be used to it and move on.
Reply 74
Original post by RayApparently
What would you do between 12:00 and 15:00?

relax, go out, appointments, costa, videogames, homework, coursework, tuition?
Original post by z33
relax, go out, appointments, costa, videogames, homework, coursework, tuition?

I guess you could definitely do homework/coursework but then it's just a long study break. I couldn't get home and back in time to play video games. Guess it'll have to be Costa. Though I prefer Pret tbh.
Original post by MarleyZ
Chancellor George Osborne is offering new funding for schools to add in an extra 5 hours of lessons per week, which will be announced in today's budget.

What do you think about having longer school days? Beneficial to students?

What would you prefer the extra time to be spent on? Lessons, homework, extra curricular activities (ie. sport or drama)? :K:

BBC article here

This is a mistake i'm sorry to say.
Reply 77
Original post by RayApparently
I guess you could definitely do homework/coursework but then it's just a long study break. I couldn't get home and back in time to play video games. Guess it'll have to be Costa. Though I prefer Pret tbh.

Yeah true but it would be a nice thing to have every day - gives you time to do stuff. It would also solve the "appointment during school time" problem. Costa is expensive so I get food from Wenzels and then have a hot chocolate/ sit in Costa :lol: #hax
Original post by z33
Yeah true but it would be a nice thing to have every day - gives you time to do stuff. It would also solve the "appointment during school time" problem. Costa is expensive so I get food from Wenzels and then have a hot chocolate/ sit in Costa :lol: #hax

True, true.

Indeed, Pret is marginally more affordable. And it subscribes to corporate social responsibility. I like that in a coffee chain. :biggrin:
Original post by stefano865
Agree.

Would rather keep the school day and holidays as they are.

Rather than churn out these emotionless maths and engineering machines like they do in China.

:wink:

Precisely, and it would just feed mental illnesses. It's not healthy.

And besides, I get more work done by myself anyway lol

Quick Reply

Latest