The Student Room Group

good kid, maad city - a small-town kid's A-level journey

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Student403

Yeah dude all my friends going to North America are going through hell with all the financial aid stuff. I imagine it won't be too much fun with the visa stuff either :colonhash:

403 be like #USPassportmasterrace
Original post by Zacken

:rofl: I try not to be smug but I just can't help it in my head when they're bitching to me :colondollar:
Reply 702
Mocks, week 1:

The week wasn't as stressful as I thought it would be. I tackled most papers much better than last time and although I'm not quite at the level I want to be but I do notice significant improvement.

Chemistry Units 4, 5, 6 - I actually anticipated which paper my teacher would give as a mock - everyone was asking for the mark scheme from me the night before to cheat, but I took the high road and decided to treat it as a proper exam. None of my exams were great - I felt like I got a B but that can definitely be worked upon. My Unit 5 was much, much better this time and I felt like I had a good grasp of the content.

S2 - Credits to our stats teacher, it seems like he tried to make a challenging S2 paper. :congrats: It was definitely harder than any past paper I've seen, but I reckon I have 70+ if not full marks in it as long as I haven't made any silly errors. Really enjoyed this exam.

FP3 - I don't believe that this exam went so well! It's probably because the paper was easy so I doubt my actual ability...

Physics Unit 4 - I thought this exam was pretty bad initially, but after looking through the mark scheme (which I found after I got home) and the grade boundaries, I thought I did better than I initially expected. @Student403, do you recall doing June 2013R?

Time to gear up for next week! Exams remaining: Maths: i) C34; ii) FP2; iii) M3; iv) S3; Physics: v) 5; vi) 6.

Weekend objectives:

Learn contingency tables and goodness of fit for normal distributions for S3

Look through all the FP2 past papers done so far and observe where I've lost marks (damn, running out of papers)

Finish up to M3 June 2009

Do Physics 5 and 6 - two past papers (one for each) after revisiting the content.

Oh shoot man well done in S2 for surviving the fire! I'm honestly jealous of your stats ability and would happily borrow it for tomorrow's exam :biggrin:

June 2013R was terrible for me. I got 65/80...
Reply 704
Oh sweeeet! My last mock S2/M2 is tomorrow morning. So cramming for that as we speak :lol: M2's alright. Just bloody stats!

Yeah dude all my friends going to North America are going through hell with all the financial aid stuff. I imagine it won't be too much fun with the visa stuff either :colonhash:

What's there to cram for M2? I'm pretty sure you can do it in your sleep :biggrin: C'mon - S2 isn't that bad! I usually have to relearn the entire spec the night before I have a mock because I hardly practice it. :tongue:

Damn, I really wish I was a US citizen! I spent two hours today getting my passport renewed after school and it really wasn't pretty...

Original post by Zacken

Don't you need a permit too? :tongue:

By the way, that STEP question looks like it's disguised pure xD I'm gonna definitely try it tomorrow morning, that last bit looked like really cool physics. :yep: 403 would probably like a go too (Q 14)
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
What's there to cram for M2? I'm pretty sure you can do it in your sleep :biggrin: C'mon - S2 isn't that bad! I usually have to relearn the entire spec the night before I have a mock because I hardly practice it. :tongue:

Damn, I really wish I was a US citizen! I spent two hours today getting my passport renewed after school and it really wasn't pretty...

By the way, that STEP question looks like it's disguised pure xD I'm gonna definitely try it tomorrow morning, that last bit looked like really cool physics. :yep: 403 would probably like a go too (Q 14)

Yeah cramming S2 is not fun :emo: That sounds horrible though :console:

BRO the final question on a STEPIII stats section... Me?!?!?!?

Visa, yeah. :tongue:

It's definitely disguised pure, that's the only reason it caught my eye! xD The last part is the kind of stuff you do in statistical physics actually!! It'll be a module in a physics degree for sure. :biggrin:
Reply 707
Oh shoot man well done in S2 for surviving the fire! I'm honestly jealous of your stats ability and would happily borrow it for tomorrow's exam :biggrin:

June 2013R was terrible for me. I got 65/80...

I'm actually happy our teacher tried challenging us! Try the last question of IAL Jan 14, see what you think of it.

That's like 110+ UMS - that's pretty good, dude :tongue: The paper was haard. Some weird parts towards the end.

BRO the final question on a STEPIII stats section... Me?!?!?!?

It's really not stats per se! Look at the context, it's physics 😎

Original post by Zacken
It's definitely disguised pure, that's the only reason it caught my eye! xD The last part is the kind of stuff you do in statistical physics actually!! It'll be a module in a physics degree for sure. :biggrin:

I'm thinking of minoring in stats now - the course actually looks pretty interesting and the optional applied modules have statistical mechanics stuff like this.
I'm actually happy our teacher tried challenging us! Try the last question of IAL Jan 14, see what you think of it.

That's like 110+ UMS - that's pretty good, dude :tongue: The paper was haard. Some weird parts towards the end.

It's really not stats per se! Look at the context, it's physics 😎

I'm thinking of minoring in stats now - the course actually looks pretty interesting and the optional applied modules have statistical mechanics stuff like this.

Okay I'll try it tomorrow after mocks are over :yep:

Oops I just checked the UMS converter and 65/80 was the boundary for full UMS :rofl: And yeah I lost the last 2 marks of IAL Jan 2014 Q18

Sorry for misusing the blog (if this is).. Could you please explain part d? I get the whole probabilities of each thing but I'm not sure why it's "2 x ..."

Sorry for misusing the blog (if this is).. Could you please explain part d? I get the whole probabilities of each thing but I'm not sure why it's "2 x ..."

well when you pick two letters at random you have four options;
1) both letters are pats
2) both are lyns
3) you could pick pats letter first then lyn's letter or
4) pick lyn's letter first then pats letter

3) and 4) are both successful options, so you must consider both of them

so really the prob. you are looking is prob of 3) + prob of 4), which is;

Prob.=(0.06×0.3)×(0.94×0.05)(0.065)2+(0.94×0.05)×(0.06×0.3)(0.065)2 \displaystyle \text{Prob.}\quad=\frac{(0.06 \times 0.3) \times (0.94 \times 0.05)}{(0.065)^2} + \frac{(0.94 \times 0.05) \times (0.06 \times 0.3)}{(0.065)^2}
Original post by DylanJ42
well when you pick two letters at random you have four options;
1) both letters are pats
2) both are lyns
3) you could pick pats letter first then lyn's letter or
4) pick lyn's letter first then pats letter

3) and 4) are both successful options, so you must consider both of them

so really the prob. you are looking is prob of 3) + prob of 4), which is;

Prob.=(0.06×0.3)×(0.94×0.05)(0.065)2+(0.94×0.05)×(0.06×0.3)(0.065)2 \displaystyle \text{Prob.}\quad=\frac{(0.06 \times 0.3) \times (0.94 \times 0.05)}{(0.065)^2} + \frac{(0.94 \times 0.05) \times (0.06 \times 0.3)}{(0.065)^2}

Oh gosh that is so basic and I am so silly :colondollar: Thank you for the awesome explanation!
Reply 712
Oh gosh that is so basic and I am so silly :colondollar: Thank you for the awesome explanation!

I was gonna say there are two ways of arranging it, but Dylan as always is impeccable with his 'splainin :yep:
I was gonna say there are two ways of arranging it, but Dylan as always is impeccable with his 'splainin :yep:

Cheers!

basic but its very easy to forget that different combinations exist like that

its my pleasure :biggrin:

P.S. since zacken was suggesting step questions up the page somewhere. STEP 1, Q13, 2007 is a great question to look at with regards to combinations (although it was mind numbing to do:laugh:)
basic but its very easy to forget that different combinations exist like that

its my pleasure :biggrin:

P.S. since zacken was suggesting step questions up the page somewhere. STEP 1, Q13, 2007 is a great question to look at with regards to combinations (although it was mind numbing to do:laugh:)

Yeah lol I haven't done stats in months :colondollar: Really gotta get cracking if I want to get an A* in my mock tomorrow :rofl:
Yeah lol I haven't done stats in months :colondollar: Really gotta get cracking if I want to get an A* in my mock tomorrow :rofl:

good luck :biggrin: (although you dont need luck, you'll do great :tongue:)
good luck :biggrin: (although you dont need luck, you'll do great :tongue:)

Aw thanks :colondollar: Gotta pull my crappy stats grade to be up with the other half of the mock (mechanics)
Aw thanks :colondollar: Gotta pull my crappy stats grade to be up with the other half of the mock (mechanics)

the 100% half of the mock? :smartass:

examsolutions is great (as it always is) for explaining some of the stats concepts! you should check it out, if not for your mock tomorrow, then between now and the real thing
the 100% half of the mock? :smartass:

examsolutions is great (as it always is) for explaining some of the stats concepts! you should check it out, if not for your mock tomorrow, then between now and the real thing

Thank you! I certainly will be better prepared - I dunno I just never take mocks seriously :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending