The Student Room Group

Computer Science Requirements

I am in year 11 and want to partake in computer science A level. My school does not have the course of Computer Science available but one of my teachers (who is familiar with computer science and A levels) suggested I learn languages in my free time and I would be able to do A level Computer Science.

I am relatively confident in JavaScript and am looking to familiarise myself with another language. I need to know how many languages I should learn and, if possible, which ones would be the most beneficial for me to learn.
Original post by BillyCockell
I am in year 11 and want to partake in computer science A level. My school does not have the course of Computer Science available but one of my teachers (who is familiar with computer science and A levels) suggested I learn languages in my free time and I would be able to do A level Computer Science.

I am relatively confident in JavaScript and am looking to familiarise myself with another language. I need to know how many languages I should learn and, if possible, which ones would be the most beneficial for me to learn.

Hey Billy Cockell! I am in year 11 right now and I am taking A level Computer Science. I strongly recommend that you learn languages that are actually recognised by the sullabys of the subjet it self such as Visual Basic or/and Pascal (Preferrably Visual Basic) as it is the most used language for A level computer Science. There is also the first official Cambridge International AS and A level computer science text book that came out just couple of months ago that is made to fully support the 2016 syllabus and beyond.
Original post by Anas_Mangoush
Hey Billy Cockell! I am in year 11 right now and I am taking A level Computer Science. I strongly recommend that you learn languages that are actually recognised by the sullabys of the subjet it self such as Visual Basic or/and Pascal (Preferrably Visual Basic) as it is the most used language for A level computer Science. There is also the first official Cambridge International AS and A level computer science text book that came out just couple of months ago that is made to fully support the 2016 syllabus and beyond.

Thanks, so things like JavaScript and Python would not be helpful at all?
A Level Computer Science only requires a GCSE in Maths. They usually like a B or above though.
Computer Science AS Level assumed no prior knowledge. If you want to get ahead though, go for it.

JavaScript and Python are very popular languages. They are both object orientated as is Visual Basic (the language you will most likely use in AS Level), so it would be beneficial.
Original post by RhaegoTarg
A Level Computer Science only requires a GCSE in Maths. They usually like a B or above though.
Computer Science AS Level assumed no prior knowledge. If you want to get ahead though, go for it.

JavaScript and Python are very popular languages. They are both object orientated as is Visual Basic (the language you will most likely use in AS Level), so it would be beneficial.

I should get an A* in maths and am also planning on doing Maths and further maths A levels and I have been told these compliment each other so hopefully I won't struggle too much. Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply

Latest