The Student Room Group

I found out he was arrested and has a court case?

Hey,
I've been dating a guy the last two months and I've discovered some troubling information. He's told me that in two months he is in court for the handling of stolen goods. He was able to get his first hearing adjourned because he claimed to have new evidence for proof of purchase (which he hasn't).

I have heard from another source that he is planning on creating fake receipts. He told me that he bought the equipment off GumTree and was completely unaware that it was all stolen property.
I found an article in the paper about the investigation and it turns out that last year he was arrested on suspicion of burglary after two warranted searches at his house. NOT handling of stolen goods. Am I right in thinking that is an entirely different charge? I'm pretty adept to the law system, even though my father is a sergeant.
So, should I run a mile? I am a very laid back person, never been in trouble with the police and certainly don't want to be dragged into situations like this. Thanks for reading.

Scroll to see replies

Those are completely different charges. The maximum sentence for burglary is 14 years- so yes run a mile he has been lying and twisting things so that you'd stay with him. How did you find out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by martinnmartin
Those are completely different charges. The maximum sentence for burglary is 14 years- so yes run a mile he has been lying and twisting things so that you'd stay with him. How did you find out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

He told me a few weeks ago and then sent me an article. I didn't read though it in detail because he was explaining his side of the story. He's made out the police are conspiring against him and manipulating the situation to make it look worse than it is. I got thinking about it again when he suggested I do something that involves an act of fraud. Absolutely not having someone like that in my life. I guess I was naïve and stupid to even brush it off after hearing about the stolen goods. Thanks for taking the time to write
Reply 3
Is he winning?
Reply 4
**** no, get rid. Unless you fancy an Etta Place lifestyle that is..
What did he ask you to do if you don't mind?
Fraud can carry a prison sentence and you would have to declare it to any insurance company so he's a bit of a **** for attempting to get you involved

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
What did he ask you to do if you don't mind?
Fraud can carry a prison sentence and you would have to declare it to any insurance company so he's a bit of a **** for attempting to get you involved

Posted from TSR Mobile

He wanted me to return an old, smashed iPhone and make a claim for £500 that the damage was done through transit. Of course I said no and got my phone back. I was loaning it to him as his wasn't working properly.
He lies to the courts and wants you to commit fraud. You've been together a few weeks so very early days. Dump him and avoid. You sound very sensible and don't need people like that dragging you down.
Yeah Duncan is right, are you planning to then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Yeah Duncan is right, are you planning to then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Absolutely! I felt the need to write this post because I am in shock about it myself. I feel really stupid that I could let myself fall for someone who's capable of all of this. There were many other warning signs also. He tried to isolate me from my close friends and family and would use my sensitive personality for his gain. Very controlling and manipulative.

Luckily I've got decent family and friends who pulled me aside and said I need to wise up. I can see why people who don't have a good support network can fall into the wrong crowd. Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate it. My emotions are just everywhere right now. But I know one thing for sure, I will stay as far away from him as possible.
Ok that's great, keep us posted on how he reacts- he doesn't sound like he's going to go down without a fight

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mj2014
Hey,
I've been dating a guy the last two months and I've discovered some troubling information. He's told me that in two months he is in court for the handling of stolen goods. He was able to get his first hearing adjourned because he claimed to have new evidence for proof of purchase (which he hasn't).

I have heard from another source that he is planning on creating fake receipts. He told me that he bought the equipment off GumTree and was completely unaware that it was all stolen property.
I found an article in the paper about the investigation and it turns out that last year he was arrested on suspicion of burglary after two warranted searches at his house. NOT handling of stolen goods. Am I right in thinking that is an entirely different charge? I'm pretty adept to the law system, even though my father is a sergeant.
So, should I run a mile? I am a very laid back person, never been in trouble with the police and certainly don't want to be dragged into situations like this. Thanks for reading.

trust me there are worse things to be arrested for than burglary, if it doesn't include violence. You could just tell him that if he goes down, you're not going to stick around? best of both worlds??
Reply 12
Ok that's great, keep us posted on how he reacts- he doesn't sound like he's going to go down without a fight

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will do, I'm interested to see what's going to happen myself. We're not on bad terms at the moment, as I've kept my cards close to my chest. I think with someone like him it's best to end on good terms, because I don't know what he'd do. I've stopped initiating contact and so far he hasn't called or text all day, so that's a good sign.
Why? He's already had his chance and has been controlling and abusive. It's good that the OP is pulling out now rather than being further manipulated

Posted from TSR Mobile
He's going to commit perjury and he has no problem asking you to participate in fraud. I would be wary to the extent I think if you arent attached then cut ties now whilst you can. If he treats the law in that way, then think what he can do to you. ofc he might be found innocent, but imo he sounds like one of those who believes the system is against him, but he knows how to fight back, when in relaity he's just dishonest. get someone stable. You are right to end on good terms. Hide behind your dad if need be as am sure he'd disapprove.
Reply 15

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just a quick update. He called me the other night asking me to go for dinner with him next week. He said he was busy this weekend so couldn't do then.

The next day he told me that he's going away with his ex parter for the night. Broke my heart a little bit. But clearly he doesn't care.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd be very concerned to be honest. Theft can be associated with a range of other crimes, typically drug taking.
Reply 17
Original post by Mj2014
Hey,

Sounds like an episode of Hollyoaks.

Not going to tell you what to do though, I see no reason to, you should have common sense. I do hear though that women like badboys.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Twinpeaks
I'd be very concerned to be honest. Theft can be associated with a range of other crimes, typically drug taking.

I know :/ I have caught him taking cocaine and he drinks every day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mj2014
I know :/ I have caught him taking cocaine and he drinks every day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reading through this posts he is bad news, without a single doubt you should leave him.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending