The Student Room Group

my dream of Cambridge and a great curiosity

Two weeks ago I went to Cambridge with my soon-to-be sixth form; we visited the botanical gardens, went punting, and of course, the university.

I loved the place; It was everything I thought it would be, calm and composed, sophisticated while beautiful and exciting. We also got the chance to speak to some current students there; there was a 2nd year Politics student(or so I recall) and he told us what he got at AS, AABB. Those didn't sound like stellar grades and came as a great surprise to me, and wondered if the GCSE grades he got 'compensated' for his AS levels.

I want to do chemical engineering at university, and going to Cambridge is a dream for me. But I'm not sure If I'll achieve it, I feel like I'll do better at sixth form than secondary education.

I'm in year 11, and feel that I could comfortably get 5 A*'s at GCSE (maths, 3 sciences, and Polish) with the rest at A grade, perhaps with a minuscule chance of a B here or there. However when I look at A-levels, I will be only doing work I enjoy and therefore feel completely knowledge driven; this causes me to make the complacent conclusion that I could ace A2's, and even maybe, just maybe, get A*A*A*A* at A-level.

Would this be 'good' enough for Cambridge? Say I apply for them when the time comes and my application has this;
GCSE:
5 A*'s
5 A's
1 B

A2(predicted)
A*A*A*A

It's really been messing with my mind recently and just wanted to get this weight off my shoulders, what do you guys think?

Scroll to see replies

Yeah they would be good grades. But everyone else would also get those grades as well. So its other things which matter as well.

Good luck!
No, you would need atleast 5A*s at A2, sorry :frown:
I don't see any reason why you wouldn't get in with that kind of profile.

But of course a lot will depend on stuff like your UMS scores, PS etc.

Good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by Bobjim12
No, you would need atleast 5A*s at A2, sorry :frown:

dude I'm serious, but 5 A*'s at GCSE is like a joke to Cambridge nerds
I got 6A*s at GCSE and I got nowhere near 4A*s at A level :lol: but I had extenuating circumstances

So aim for the best and work like crazy! only 2 years of struggle in sixthform and you will get into cambridge.

You should be able to do it judging from your caliber. Good luck!
Reply 6
Original post by Indeterminate
I don't see any reason why you wouldn't get in with that kind of profile.

But of course a lot will depend on stuff like your UMS scores, PS etc.

Good luck! :biggrin:

thanks, I have a real passion for maths and science(especially chemistry, I just find it so fascinating!) and feel that I could cover everything I need to :biggrin:
I thought you were my age ngl :O

But yeah, those grades are just fine! I got 5 A*s at GCSE (and 6As) myself, and I'm only doing 3 A Levels now too. I've got an offer for NatSci :redface:

Would you apply via NatSci fro ChemEng?
Original post by Mayhem™
Two weeks ago I went to Cambridge with my soon-to-be sixth form; we visited the botanical gardens, went punting, and of course, the university.

I loved the place; It was everything I thought it would be, calm and composed, sophisticated while beautiful and exciting. We also got the chance to speak to some current students there; there was a 2nd year Politics student(or so I recall) and he told us what he got at AS, AABB. Those didn't sound like stellar grades and came as a great surprise to me, and wondered if the GCSE grades he got 'compensated' for his AS levels.

I want to do chemical engineering at university, and going to Cambridge is a dream for me. But I'm not sure If I'll achieve it, I feel like I'll do better at sixth form than secondary education.

I'm in year 11, and feel that I could comfortably get 5 A*'s at GCSE (maths, 3 sciences, and Polish) with the rest at A grade, perhaps with a minuscule chance of a B here or there. However when I look at A-levels, I will be only doing work I enjoy and therefore feel completely knowledge driven; this causes me to make the complacent conclusion that I could ace A2's, and even maybe, just maybe, get A*A*A*A* at A-level.

Would this be 'good' enough for Cambridge? Say I apply for them when the time comes and my application has this;
GCSE:
5 A*'s
5 A's
1 B

A2(predicted)
A*A*A*A

It's really been messing with my mind recently and just wanted to get this weight off my shoulders, what do you guys think?

Yes they're lower than average but probably fine. However don't underestimate how hard a levels are cause I thought the same as you but this first years kinda been a disaster.
Reply 9
Original post by luminarychild
I got 6A*s at GCSE and I got nowhere near 4A*s at A level :lol: but I had extenuating circumstances

So aim for the best and work like crazy! only 2 years of struggle in sixthform and you will get into cambridge.

You should be able to do it judging from your caliber. Good luck!

what got to you in sixth form? :redface:
Original post by Mayhem™
what got to you in sixth form? :redface:

Relationships :colonhash: do NOT go for the long term
Reply 11
Original post by Serine Soul
I thought you were my age ngl :O

But yeah, those grades are just fine! I got 5 A*s at GCSE (and 6As) myself, and I'm only doing 3 A Levels now too. I've got an offer for NatSci :redface:

Would you apply via NatSci fro ChemEng?

I'm just so mature :lol:

the engineering route :sexface:

Original post by EastGuava
Why can't people wait until they have actual - not predicted or hypothetical - qualifications to ask if they should apply for a particular course at a particular university? :\

because gcse's are scaring me and I don't think I can get 10 A*'s
Reply 12
Original post by luminarychild
Relationships :colonhash: do NOT go for the long term

damn I'll make sure to remember that bro :frown:
Original post by Mayhem™
damn I'll make sure to remember that bro :frown:

PRSOM!

:sad:
Original post by Mayhem™

GCSE:
5 A*'s
5 A's
1 B

A2(predicted)
A*A*A*A

How can you have A2 predicted grades without completing your AS Levels? Anyway, its good that you set your sights on Cambridge early, the earlier the better. Get as many GCSE A* grades as you can. They are less important for Cambridge, but if you ever wanted to apply to Oxford in the future you will need a good set of GCSE grades. For now, fully focus on your GCSE grades, they are very important and I certainly wish I was movivated (or even knew about) for Oxbridge at your age. It is far too early or you to predict yourself A*A*A*A* at A-Level, although I admire your determination. But, contrary to what probably all your teachers day, A-Levels are not that much of a step up from GCSE, especially for perspective Oxbridge candidates like yourself. I myself got 1A*10A at GCSE, then brought my act together and got AAAA at AS with near full marks in Maths, Further Maths and Physics (don't ask about chemistry!). For Cambridge, the "UMS" (uniform mark scale, basically a percentage) of your AS grades will be very important. A grades at AS are simply not good enough, too many people get them. You want to be, and need to be, aiming for 100% in your AS examinations. But, as I said, for now just focus on getting as many A*'s as you can at GCSE. Good luck.
Reply 15
Original post by Abscissa
How can you have A2 predicted grades without completing your AS Levels? Anyway, its good that you set your sights on Cambridge early, the earlier the better. Get as many GCSE A* grades as you can. They are less important for Cambridge, but if you ever wanted to apply to Oxford in the future you will need a good set of GCSE grades. For now, fully focus on your GCSE grades, they are very important and I certainly wish I was movivated (or even knew about) for Oxbridge at your age. It is far too early or you to predict yourself A*A*A*A* at A-Level, although I admire your determination. But, contrary to what probably all your teachers day, A-Levels are not that much of a step up from GCSE, especially for perspective Oxbridge candidates like yourself. I myself got 1A*10A at GCSE, then brought my act together and got AAAA at AS with near full marks in Maths, Further Maths and Physics (don't ask about chemistry!). For Cambridge, the "UMS" (uniform mark scale, basically a percentage) of your AS grades will be very important. A grades at AS are simply not good enough, too many people get them. You want to be, and need to be, aiming for 100% in your AS examinations. But, as I said, for now just focus on getting as many A*'s as you can at GCSE. Good luck.

thanks for all the info :smile:
The grades are the minimum requirement, only the first hurdle in getting considered for admission . Have you read any of the "get into oxbridge" books? They offer ideas on strategy. I would suggest you get practical experience in the field, it will give you more perspective and hence subjects to write about and discuss with adm tutors, i.e. a way to stand out. Every person who gets an offer has their own particular route, there is no formula.
You have a fair shot. But you have time now. Try and get as many A*s as you can.
Reply 18
Original post by Abscissa
... For Cambridge, the "UMS" (uniform mark scale, basically a percentage) of your AS grades will be very important.

Just to note, UMS no longer exists for reformed A-Levels (although it remains for Maths until the new spec starts in Sept 2017).

And Cambridge is yet to announce if they will be collecting raw marks as an alternative to UMS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Just to note, UMS no longer exists for reformed A-Levels (although it remains for Maths until the new spec starts in Sept 2017).

And Cambridge is yet to announce if they will be collecting raw marks as an alternative to UMS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Indeed, but why wouldn't they collect raw marks as an alternative? Or convert these raw marks into their own scale.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending