The Student Room Group

Dundee Medicine 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by prospectivemed56
I'm really sorry to hear that. Even though there are always options (5th choice, gap year, reapply as a grad), there's nothing to make four rejections feel any less awful. Stay strong :penguinhug:

Thank you, I don't even know where I went wrong... It's absolutely dreadful :frown:

I think I will go for my 5th choice molecular biology and hope to move in after my first year at edinburgh. (Is that possible? Can anybody shed light on this?) Or try again post grad...

Stressful times ahead :frown:
Original post by Penguin man
Thank you, I don't even know where I went wrong... It's absolutely dreadful :frown:

I think I will go for my 5th choice molecular biology and hope to move in after my first year at edinburgh. (Is that possible? Can anybody shed light on this?) Or try again post grad...

hey penguin, here is what it says in the Edinburgh prospectus:
Medical sciences students will not normally be able to transfer to the MBChB programme. Up to five offers for entry into Y2 of the Edinburgh MBChB program me will be made to final-years BSc(Hons) Medical Sciences undergraduates.
Transferring is possible!
Original post by Junioh
hey penguin, here is what it says in the Edinburgh prospectus:
Medical sciences students will not normally be able to transfer to the MBChB programme. Up to five offers for entry into Y2 of the Edinburgh MBChB program me will be made to final-years BSc(Hons) Medical Sciences undergraduates.
Transferring is possible!

During the final years?

Thanks very much for that! :smile:

I guess I'll phone them up and ask whether I can change molecular biology to medical sciences!

I will probably try and apply on clearing too (possible right?)

also I believe I heard back so late possibly because I was maybe in a grey area about getting an offer or not, I think you must be too but I hope it goes well for you and you get it! :biggrin:
During the final years?

I guess I'll phone them up and ask whether I can change molecular biology to medical sciences!

also I believe I heard back so late possibly because I was maybe in a grey area about getting an offer or not, I think you must be too but I hope it goes well for you and you get it! :biggrin:

Hey penguin, it's okay! I initially applied for medical sciences because they have the transfer system! It's an unconditional for me so I'm sure you will be able to change it.
I'm not sure whether medical schools go through clearing? But it doesnt hurt to give it a try. Did you apply to Aberdeen? They've got an internal waiting list and you could still get in through the waiting list.
Grey area??
Original post by Junioh
Think on the bright side! You've got offers from two very good medical schools! Plus you don't need to make a decision now.

I was just asking because I don't want to firm another uni until I hear back from Dundee, but since I haven't heard back yet, I was asking if that means it is a definite rejection or should I keep waiting?
Original post by WorriedStudent101
I was just asking because I don't want to firm another uni until I hear back from Dundee, but since I haven't heard back yet, I was asking if that means it is a definite rejection or should I keep waiting?

We don't know.
Dundee seems to give out offers first.
Even though the admission team did not admit it...
Reply 806

Sorry to hear that. I had a friend at Edinburgh transfer to medicine at Newcastle after 1st year. I think it's a very difficult thing to do though and I wouldn't recommend chancing it if you're not prepared to do the full 4 years if it doesn't work out.

I applied this year as a graduate and I really felt that the extra experience gave me an upper hand in interviews. I'd say the main thing to consider is whether you'd be able to afford the funding for a second degree. It can be very expensive and has been a barrier for so many of my friends wanting to go do their second degree in medicine.

Carefully consider your options, the best one will be specific to your situation. Remember that there are several routes into medicine, and if you feel that it's the right career for you, you'll make it work out!
Reply 807
Also it's super super easy to change degree programmes once you're into uni. I've had friends change around 4-5 times before settling. Biomed is now in a different school to biology but I'm sure it's still very easy to change.
During the final years?

I know clearing is possible at Edinburgh, one of my friends actually got into medicine there through clearing:smile:
Just keep trying and don't give up, all the best

I know that for Glasgow, you can fill out an application in 1st year of a life sciences degree to attempt to gain entry into 1st year medicine the next year. Though the spaces are limited and it often depends on whether they have any leftover space to accept students via this route (ie they don't reserve a number of spaces for this sort of entry).
Shifting around your course in from molecular bio to medical sciences shouldn't be difficult, usually 1st year is general biology and then if you take the right options in 2nd year you can switch courses. It's common for people to end up doing something completely different than they initially planned to
Thanks everyone :smile: the amoubt of help i got made me feel a lot better :biggrin:

And in terms of funding, can you get student loans and grants for a 2nd degree?
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks everyone :smile: the amoubt of help i got made me feel a lot better :biggrin:

You can get student loans and bursaries for undergraduate courses but not graduate ones as far as I can tell - I decided doing one extra year made that worth it :P
My mate said that if your first degree is not a professional degree and is of a lower classification than the MBChB (e.g. BSc or BA), then you can get the first half of your medical degree paid for. Anyone heard something similar or does my mate need a sobriety test?
I got an offer with a premedical year, so happy!!!
Original post by medap123
I got an offer with a premedical year, so happy!!!

Congrats! I got one last week as well. Are you firming it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sigma-Freud
My mate said that if your first degree is not a professional degree and is of a lower classification than the MBChB (e.g. BSc or BA), then you can get the first half of your medical degree paid for. Anyone heard something similar or does my mate need a sobriety test?

That doesn't sound right. SAAS will provide up to 5 years of funding. So if your initial degree (BSc, BA) is 4 years long, then SAAS will provide funding for the 5th year of your Medical degree. You will have to pay for the 4 initial years

Depends if you're from Northern Ireland (which I think you are?) or Scotland. Long story short, you can usually get maintenance loans only for a second degree, with the fees being paid out of pocket. There's also usually a bit of extra support in the last year of a medical degree.
Original post by Sigma-Freud

Er, I don't think that BAs/BScs are counted as 'lower' degrees than the MBChB. But you'd usually get enhanced support for year 5 (or 6) as a second-degree medical student (there's a specific exemption for it).
Reply 818
Just got a rejection :frown:
Reply 819
Also a rejection, no idea what to do I've already had a gap year, feel like such a failure

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending