The Student Room Group

No new school uniform

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Tomj200
I think wearing a suit and leather school shoes is a joke jumper Polo shirt school trouser and pumps is good enough

Well everybody has their opinions, and I can respect that you don't like the idea of wearing a suit or shirt and tie, but there's no denying that you are at some point going to have to wear smart clothes in a workplace.
It's not like the proposed uniform at your school was forcing you to wear a fully tailored suit anyway, very few do, you would get away with normal black school trousers, white shirt, and black shoes - they don't have to be leather, they just have to be something a bit more than just plimsolls.
Reply 21
Original post by PTS_99
Well everybody has their opinions, and I can respect that you don't like the idea of wearing a suit or shirt and tie, but there's no denying that you are at some point going to have to wear smart clothes in a workplace.
It's not like the proposed uniform at your school was forcing you to wear a fully tailored suit anyway, very few do, you would get away with normal black school trousers, white shirt, and black shoes - they don't have to be leather, they just have to be something a bit more than just plimsolls.

When the school said about a new uniform there would be strict rules on shoes but because we kept the same uniform we can wear £3 pumps or £30 vans as long as there fully black
Reply 22
Original post by Tomj200
When the school said about a new uniform there would be strict rules on shoes but because we kept the same uniform we can wear £3 pumps or £30 vans as long as there fully black

Well policy changes between schools, mine doesn't really care as long as they're completely black. I disagree with schools that insist on a very particular type of shoe or whatever, simply because it isn't realistic.
Reply 23
Original post by PTS_99
Well policy changes between schools, mine doesn't really care as long as they're completely black. I disagree with schools that insist on a very particular type of shoe or whatever, simply because it isn't realistic.

Mine don't as long as there fully black people wear black trainers vans pumps etc
Reply 24
My sister used to wear ugg style boots Aswell literally any plain black shoes are allowed
Original post by Tomj200
My sister used to wear ugg style boots Aswell literally any plain black shoes are allowed

The proposed new uniform sounds so much nicer. Even at the primary school I went to, we were required to wear shirt and tie. I would have hated to have worn polo shirts-not appropriate for a school setting at all
Reply 26
Original post by super_kawaii
The proposed new uniform sounds so much nicer. Even at the primary school I went to, we were required to wear shirt and tie. I would have hated to have worn polo shirts-not appropriate for a school setting at all

How arnt they there more appropriate than a suite would hate to wear a suite to school
Original post by Tomj200
How arnt they there more appropriate than a suite would hate to wear a suite to school

School is a formal place of learning, which requires more formal attire. Obviously I'm not talking black tie, but some essence of smartness is required at an institute of learning
Reply 28
School is a formal place of learning, which requires more formal attire. Obviously I'm not talking black tie, but some essence of smartness is required at an institute of learning

My teacher told me today a school that is super strict on uniform is a sign of a struggling school.
Original post by Tomj200
My teacher told me today a school that is super strict on uniform is a sign of a struggling school.

Both my primary and secondary schools had a very strict uniform policy and were two of the top performing schools in the area.
Reply 30
Original post by Tomj200

That is just a load of nonsense, a strict uniform code isn't a sign of a failing school by any means. In fact that if there is any relationship between the two I imagine the opposite to be true. Your teacher almost sounds a little bitter to me.
One of the basic ideas with school uniform is that it symbolises the school identity, and provides a sense of identity to its pupils.

Both my primary and secondary schools had a very strict uniform policy and were two of the top performing schools in the area.

I think that blazers and ties aren't appropriate for primary school, that is the realm of polo shirts and rainbows of jumpers. Asking 5 year olds to wear a tie is a little unreasonable and to be honest unrealistic to me.

And there's nothing wrong with black ties just for senior pupils. My school has different colours for different year groups as I said above and it works quite well as it creates a hierarchy.
And again with the whole "full suit" thing, you aren't expected to wear a full tux or anything, in most cases it's just a school tie and blazer, nothing special.
Original post by Tomj200
Recently my school asked students and parents weather the school should have a new uniform they showed us ideas I really didn't want a new uniform. Thankfully the school isn't getting one after most of us rejected it what's people's opinion?
Proposed uniform
School blazer
School tie
White shirt
School trousers
Lather school shoes no trainers plimsolls boots or heels

Current uniform
School jumper
School polo shirt
School trousers
School shoes or plain black lace up plimsolls or black trainers as alternative no heels or boots

if it's a boy school, blazers are HOOOOTT.

with the "no trainers, heels or boots etc" they're trying to make your school more classy less chavvy so idk why people had a problem with that lmao.

white shirts look better than polo shirts imo.

the only thing I can say is that I'd expect the new uniform to be more expensive.
Original post by Tomj200

your teacher is BS'ing
I went to one of those shitty secondary schools, the pass rate was 30% for a single gcse.

We had:
Blazer
tie
shirt
shoes (any shoes as long as they were black)
Black/navy trousers.

HAD to have a house badge on your blazer, a massive one and your tie HAD to be a matching colour.
Reply 33
Original post by PTS_99
That is just a load of nonsense, a strict uniform code isn't a sign of a failing school by any means. In fact that if there is any relationship between the two I imagine the opposite to be true. Your teacher almost sounds a little bitter to me.
One of the basic ideas with school uniform is that it symbolises the school identity, and provides a sense of identity to its pupils.

I think that blazers and ties aren't appropriate for primary school, that is the realm of polo shirts and rainbows of jumpers. Asking 5 year olds to wear a tie is a little unreasonable and to be honest unrealistic to me.

And there's nothing wrong with black ties just for senior pupils. My school has different colours for different year groups as I said above and it works quite well as it creates a hierarchy.
And again with the whole "full suit" thing, you aren't expected to wear a full tux or anything, in most cases it's just a school tie and blazer, nothing special.

My teacher is cool she came at Christmas and said this school is much better than the old school she was at where half the time was uniform checks she advised my head teacher like loads of teachers not to bring in a new uniform and he agreed and thought it was a stupid idea after all
Reply 34
I have said before that really strict uniform policy isn't the best idea, and randomly inspecting pupil's uniforms will hinder education, so I don't agree with those at all.
But that doesn't mean that every school that specifies shirt, tie and blazer as part of their uniform carries out these 'inspections'.

And few teachers are going to join a new school and immediately talk about any of the bad parts. Not saying she's wrong, just pointing it out.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by PTS_99
I have said before that really strict uniform policy isn't the best idea, and randomly inspecting pupil's uniforms will hinder education, I don't agree with those at all.
But that doesn't mean that every school that specifies shirt, tie and blazer in their uniform carries out these inspections.

And few teachers are going to join a new school and immediately talk about how they actually feel about it. Not saying she's wrong, just pointing it out.

Think all the new teachers said keep the same uniform
Reply 36
Original post by Tomj200
Think all the new teachers said keep the same uniform

How many new teachers have joined your school in the past year? That could be a sign of something.
Reply 37
Original post by PTS_99
How many new teachers have joined your school in the past year? That could be a sign of something.

About 4 I think my school and the other schools in my area who have the Same style all got outstanding in offed and a school that has blazers got special mesures
Reply 38
for my school girls aren't allowed to wear skirts because some others wore them to short, our uniform is a black blazer, tie, shirt, black trousers and black shoes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Original post by Tomj200
About 4 I think my school and the other schools in my area who have the Same style all got outstanding in offed and a school that has blazers got special mesures

I see. Having a good & smart uniform code doesn't make a school fall into special measures though, it is failings of the teaching staff (specifically senior leadership) that force Ofsted to put a school into special measures.

Ofsted don't inspect a school's uniform policy, they inspect a school's standard of teaching, support and safety. And these standards are not dictated by uniform.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending