The Student Room Group

Longer school days on way as George Osborne vows to scrap 3.30pm home time

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MarleyZ
Chancellor George Osborne is offering new funding for schools to add in an extra 5 hhours of lessons per week, which will be announced in today's budget.

What do you think about having longer school days? Beneficial to students?

What would you prefer the extra time to be spent on? Lessons, homework, extra curricular activities (ie. sport or drama)? :K:

BBC article here

How do you feel about all schools being turned into academies by 2022?

Spoiler

Original post by RayApparently
I guess you could definitely do homework/coursework but then it's just a long study break. I couldn't get home and back in time to play video games. Guess it'll have to be Costa. Though I prefer Pret tbh.

Original post by z33
Yeah true but it would be a nice thing to have every day - gives you time to do stuff. It would also solve the "appointment during school time" problem. Costa is expensive so I get food from Wenzels and then have a hot chocolate/ sit in Costa :lol: #hax

Imagine if we were given Costa allowances every week! Free Costa :u:
Original post by ||TheUnknown||

Spoiler

I think some schools definitely needed it and have improved ever since they converted. Others... Not so much.
Original post by Legendary Quest
I think some schools definitely needed it and have improved ever since they converted. Others... Not so much.

I agree. How about the many academically strong schools? For example, many of the schools in my borough fall into this category. Do you think it can make a positive impact in any way?
Imagine if we were given Costa allowances every week! Free Costa :u:

Coffee is an essential part of many student's exam strategy after all.

You have my support if you wish to be Education Secretary.
Coffee is an essential part of many student's exam strategy after all.

You have my support if you wish to be Education Secretary.

Free coffee and free chocolates. And I will make George Osborne pay for it. Pretty good, eh? :smile:
Free coffee and free chocolates. And I will make George Osborne pay for it. Pretty good, eh? :smile:

I wouldn't mind if he was no longer Chancellor by the time you rise to power. :tongue:

Unless you mean he'll pay for it out of his own pocket. Because that's fine by me.
I agree. How about the many academically strong schools? For example, many of the schools in my borough fall into this category. Do you think it can make a positive impact in any way?

I'm not sure because most of the grammar schools in my area were already academies before this forceful thing started. I think it really depends on which academy/company takes over. Some are great and others are terrible. Like in my old school, they got rid of our old head teacher and made a lawyer our head teacher.. A lawyer..
I'm not sure because most of the grammar schools in my area were already academies before this forceful thing started. I think it really depends on which academy/company takes over. Some are great and others are terrible. Like in my old school, they got rid of our old head teacher and made a lawyer our head teacher.. A lawyer..

Why did they do that :eek:
I wouldn't mind if he was no longer Chancellor by the time you rise to power. :tongue:

Unless you mean he'll pay for it out of his own pocket. Because that's fine by me.

George Osborne and David Cameron will pay for it out of their own pockets. I'm so ready to take on my new role :biggrin:
Original post by Mahmoud X
Why?

We were already given a tonne of homework our lazy good for nothing teachers either forgot to mark or forced us to mark as a class which was an insulting waste of my time. Teachers also waste too much time anyway, with lessons where you have to make posters or play stupid games.

Be grateful for your teachers and your education- this is a great privilege and so many people in the world would love to have a quality eudcation and good teachers like we do in the UK. Your teachers are trying to help you when they set homework and set poster activities (to help you be creative and to test your understanding).
George Osborne and David Cameron will pay for it out of their own pockets. I'm so ready to take on my new role :biggrin:

As Speaker I am obligated to take this opportunity to advertise the TSR Model House of Commons. Good practice for the future. :biggrin:
Original post by MarleyZ
Chancellor George Osborne is offering new funding for schools to add in an extra 5 hours of lessons per week, which will be announced in today's budget.

What do you think about having longer school days? Beneficial to students?

What would you prefer the extra time to be spent on? Lessons, homework, extra curricular activities (ie. sport or drama)? :K:

BBC article here

There goes me going into teaching... software development here I come!
Why did they do that :eek:

No idea. The Academy was awful. They didn't care about healthy eating. Our school used to have good, healthy meals. When the academy took over, they started selling fizzy drinks and burgers every single day.. Loads of teachers 'resigned'.. But my sixth form now (different school) is a grammar school and it is really good. The academy thing really is a hit or miss.
Original post by Trapz99
Be grateful for your teachers and your education- this is a great privilege and so many people in the world would love to have a quality eudcation and good teachers like we do in the UK. Your teachers are trying to help you when they set homework and set poster activities (to help you be creative and to test your understanding).

Actually they're getting paid to perform a job from my father's taxes.
As Speaker I am obligated to take this opportunity to advertise the TSR Model House of Commons. Good practice for the future. :biggrin:

Oh dear, that does sound stressful :redface: I don't think they will like my brilliant proposal lol

Spoiler

Dreadful idea. Nearly all the schools in my idea were turned into academies and they've gone downhill imo
Oh dear, that does sound stressful :redface: I don't think they will like my brilliant proposal lol

It is to the real Parliament as TSR is to real life. So yes, a bit stressful sometimes. :biggrin: Although you'd be surprised at what people sometimes propose...
It is to the real Parliament as TSR is to real life. So yes, a bit stressful sometimes. :biggrin: Although you'd be surprised at what people sometimes propose...

Well this is TSR after all lol what is the strangest thing someone has proposed? :tongue:
Original post by Mahmoud X
Actually they're getting paid to perform a job from my father's taxes.

No, your parents are a paying a tiny proportion of their salary. Without the government providing education, you would be paying £11000 going to a private school. You need to learn to appreciate what you've got- not everyone is as luxury as you to have an education and the opportunities that you have in the UK.

Quick Reply

Latest