The Student Room Group

I don't know how to get into classical marine archaeology

I'm currently a first year student at University of Leeds studying classical civilizations. I have a PADI scuba diving qualification and want to go into classical marine archaeology for a career.
My issue is I don't know how to go about it. I have experience at some museums at home in Blackpool and the Preston archives, but I've been looking for some form of internship for over summer to gain more niche experience, but I'm having no luck.
Do I just need to keep looking or am I looking in the wrong places to get into history?
Thank you for any help :smile:
Original post by classicsandcats
I'm currently a first year student at University of Leeds studying classical civilizations. I have a PADI scuba diving qualification and want to go into classical marine archaeology for a career.
My issue is I don't know how to go about it. I have experience at some museums at home in Blackpool and the Preston archives, but I've been looking for some form of internship for over summer to gain more niche experience, but I'm having no luck.
Do I just need to keep looking or am I looking in the wrong places to get into history?
Thank you for any help :smile:

Most people working in archaeology will have an archaeology degree. Have you thought about taking a postgraduate degree? Something like http://www.southampton.ac.uk/humanities/postgraduate/taught_courses/taught_courses/archaeology/v400_ma_msc_maritime_archaeology.page?#entry_requirements would give you a bunch of contacts and build up your cv for such a competitive job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending