The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Don't forget, in the 20 years before Wenger our average position was 5.6 and we won two titles. When he's gone we're more likely back to those days than perennial title challengers :wink:
Original post by SA-1
Best thing is, this is coming from a Liverpool fan :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile

#stillineurope
Why is this thread still active? Arsenal's season is over.
It's funny though, even Barcelona have less shots than us and score from more of them. The likes of Sunderland (let alone West Ham and Everton) now know how easy it is to beat us
Reply 6064
Original post by Manchester United
Why is this thread still active? Arsenal's season is over.

Arsenal have a lot of active supporters.
Go bump the ManU thread!
Original post by M14B
Arsenal have a lot of active supporters.
Go bump the ManU thread!

But what is there to discuss?

Arsenal are out of all the cups and they will not win the league. Wenger should go, but he won't; the board love him because he's cheap and a yes-man. There are no replacements because Simeone will not leave Atletico, Blanc will not leave PSG and Allegri will not leave Juventus. Their only option is Roberto Martinez, meanwhile Liverpool have Klopp, City have Pep, United have Mou, Chelsea have Conte and Spurs have Poch. As for summer signings, they won't spend close to the aforementioned clubs and therefore Arsenal fans should accept they are a mediocre club that is only in Europe to make up the numbers.

/thread
We gave it a good go, but just not enough in the end. Defensive errors for the 1st and 3rd imo, even arguably for the 2nd. But Suarez and Messi's goals were just outrageous. We've saved some face, but that's about it, same old same old.
Nice for Neny to score, really good finish.

Going to be honest and say I don't think Barca will win the champions league, they were absolute poverty defensively, just dreadful. A team with better finishers than Arsneal would have comfortably scored 4 or 5 over the 2 legs, and a defensively stronger side wouldn't have conceded as much as us either. I can see Bayern beating them in all honesty.
Original post by leinad2012
We gave it a good go, but just not enough in the end. Defensive errors for the 1st and 3rd imo, even arguably for the 2nd. But Suarez and Messi's goals were just outrageous. We've saved some face, but that's about it, same old same old.

Going to be honest and say I don't think Barca will win the champions league, they were absolute poverty defensively, just dreadful. A team with better finishers than Arsneal would have comfortably scored 4 or 5 over the 2 legs, and a defensively stronger side wouldn't have conceded as much as us either. I can see Bayern beating them in all honesty.

Going to say it again. Barca had less chances than us and still won the game comfortably. If they were going to totally dominate us they would've scored 6 or 7 and not let us have a shot on target. The fact that we are so wasteful against crap teams, such that even good teams let us have more shots, says all about our current predicament. A more efficient strikeforce in our team would've allowed Gabriel to get away with his criminal defending from time to time.

No offence but I think it'd be different if they're pushed by a better team.

They were missing Pique tonight and with the exception of the front 3, he's their most important player.
The thing is that you never truly threatened the tie. They knew - as everybody else did - that over the first leg it was already over.

This is European competition; even the best defences concede. Juventus and Bayern are two of the strongest defensive sides in the world and each conceded 6 and 4 goals over the tie respectively.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lúcio
No offence but I think it'd be different if they're pushed by a better team.

They were missing Pique tonight and with the exception of the front 3, he's their most important player.
The thing is that you never truly threatened the tie. They knew - as everybody else did - that over the first leg it was already over.

This is European competition; even the best defences concede. Juventus and Bayern are two of the strongest defensive sides in the world and each conceded 6 and 4 goals over the tie respectively.

All of what you have said is very true. They didn't look particularly bothered tbh, they played average and still won comfortably.
Pique was a huge miss for them, who's that Mathio guy?? Awful player, really awful defender. We definitely did threaten though, 2 or 3 times the right pass or a better finish would have led to a goal.
It's probably not fair to judge Barca based on tonight, but they looked beatable for a team better than us.

Bayern who are also, if not more so vulnerable defensively?
Original post by Manchester United
But what is there to discuss?

Arsenal are out of all the cups and they will not win the league. Wenger should go, but he won't; the board love him because he's cheap and a yes-man. There are no replacements because Simeone will not leave Atletico, Blanc will not leave PSG and Allegri will not leave Juventus. Their only option is Roberto Martinez, meanwhile Liverpool have Klopp, City have Pep, United have Mou, Chelsea have Conte and Spurs have Poch. As for summer signings, they won't spend close to the aforementioned clubs and therefore Arsenal fans should accept they are a mediocre club that is only in Europe to make up the numbers.

/thread

This is too try-hard
Reply 6072
Lmao as if Barca were even trying in the first leg, they were asleep for the 90 today. We're a shockingly awful team. I was actually embarrassed to watch us play in front of everyone else. Wenger has instilled loser mentality throughout the club. Matter of fact is we'll regress when he's gone anyway, and there's just nothing we can do about that.

But on a lighter note, I thought Iwobi did well for such a huge call up today. You can't expect a 19 year old of his calibre to step up against the best team in the world in their home ground, but I felt that his link up play was good and in context his performance was overall solid. I'm not sure about Elneny. It was a good goal, but defensively I don't think he was any better than Flamini, and he leaves a lot to be desired attacking wise. Welbeck I feel has improved quite significantly but Ozil and Sanchez really needed to step up. It was a great free kick from Sanchez though and a shame that Ter Stegen got to the end of it.

Yes Bellerin was skinned a few times but he also absolutely obliterated Alba on the right flank pace wise. Still he's only 20 but I have high hopes for him, and he's slowly becoming my favourite Arsenal player. Looks like a right dickhead though and will run off as soon as Barca come in for him, but I can't blame him.
(edited 8 years ago)
All of what you have said is very true. They didn't look particularly bothered tbh, they played average and still won comfortably.
Pique was a huge miss for them, who's that Mathio guy?? Awful player, really awful defender. We definitely did threaten though, 2 or 3 times the right pass or a better finish would have led to a goal.
It's probably not fair to judge Barca based on tonight, but they looked beatable for a team better than us.

Any superior team would look vulnerable on the counter to an inferior team with a decent attack as there is a lot of space to play into.

mirin football knowledge
Must be ecstatic watching your goalkeeper just stand and watch the ball go in his net several times. Even he can't be arsed trying any more.

They're 38 unbeaten, having beaten Arsenal, Madrid, Atletico away from home this season. They've won 17 in a row (excluding a dead rubber against Valencia).

Every team is beatable but if (to your mind) Barca looked beatable, then it was only because they weren't arsed.
United fans are reaching United are a joke team all the fans do is complain about the manager they are Chelsea v2
Original post by 30 Hours
This is too try-hard

If thou appears not to be eminently assiduous, nor inordinately perspicuous, then thou is deemed to lack sagacity a priori?
Apparently Iwobi played quite well.,

Which means he won't even be in the squad against Everton.

Latest