The Student Room Group

4 rejections for dentistry

Hi!
I applied to dentistry this year and got 4 (2 pre 2 post interview ) rejections, however my situation is a bit different. I did badly in my first AS year due to excruciating circumstances and so decided to retake it and achieved the grades and applied to dentistry, 2 universities i applied to didnt accept my excruciating circumstances so rejected me pre interview and the other 2 did accept it. im very upset as I dont know whether or not to take a gap year since this is my third year of alevel if that makes sense.. ;( i wish for nothing but to do dentistry, im stressed tips?
Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

If you feel so strongly about dentistry then keep at it and if need be, take a gap year to apply for next year. Is there no way you could contact the Universities about specifically why you were rejected? Surely if you are going to meet the required grades then it doesn't matter what your circumstances were.
Reply 2
Original post by ranz
Hi!
I applied to dentistry this year and got 4 (2 pre 2 post interview ) rejections, however my situation is a bit different. I did badly in my first AS year due to excruciating circumstances and so decided to retake it and achieved the grades and applied to dentistry, 2 universities i applied to didnt accept my excruciating circumstances so rejected me pre interview and the other 2 did accept it. im very upset as I dont know whether or not to take a gap year since this is my third year of alevel if that makes sense.. ;( i wish for nothing but to do dentistry, im stressed tips?
Thanks!

If yur really desperate. Look elsewhere in Europe. Bulgaria is the only country which will provide a student loan for international students. Dont go through know dojy agencies. Contact them directly. Plovdiv dental school looks good.

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did 3 years of a levels (Resat my AS year) and got 3 rejections (2 post-interview and 1 pre-interview) and one offer. The offer I got involved me moving to the other side of the country and I realised during the summer that it wasn't something I felt I could do for personal reasons.

I held an unconditional offer for Genetics and for a short while I had decided I was going to accept it. In August shortly after results day I changed my mind and decided to take yet another year to reapply as dentistry is the only thing I can ever see myself doing. Not only have I had a great time in my gap year, I've received an offer from my favourite university from which last year I was pooled and later rejected.

Trust me, if dentistry is really what you want to do then just take a gap year. I really know how you feel at the moment but I am honestly so so happy I decided to take the risk and wait.
Reply 4
Original post by carrellii
I did 3 years of a levels (Resat my AS year) and got 3 rejections (2 post-interview and 1 pre-interview) and one offer. The offer I got involved me moving to the other side of the country and I realised during the summer that it wasn't something I felt I could do for personal reasons.

I held an unconditional offer for Genetics and for a short while I had decided I was going to accept it. In August shortly after results day I changed my mind and decided to take yet another year to reapply as dentistry is the only thing I can ever see myself doing. Not only have I had a great time in my gap year, I've received an offer from my favourite university from which last year I was pooled and later rejected.

Trust me, if dentistry is really what you want to do then just take a gap year. I really know how you feel at the moment but I am honestly so so happy I decided to take the risk and wait.

that sounds motivating! congrats btw! would u mind me asking if u took the 3 years due to circumstances? and what unis u applied to ?
yh dentistry is just my ultimate goal! x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ranz
Hi!
Thanks!

Have you considered dentistry abroad? (e.g. Hungary)
Reply 6
Original post by ODES_PDES
Have you considered dentistry abroad? (e.g. Hungary)

i have but it can be expensive since you have to pay from your own pocket 😢

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by A47
If yur really desperate. Look elsewhere in Europe. Bulgaria is the only country which will provide a student loan for international students. Dont go through know dojy agencies. Contact them directly. Plovdiv dental school looks good.

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ill defenitely check it out! thank you! i havent heard of unis that give international students loan

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by carrellii

Which uni pooled you but then accepting you the second time around?
Original post by ranz
ill defenitely check it out! thank you! i havent heard of unis that give international students loan

Posted from TSR Mobile

That university is a hotbed of corruption and the student loan in Bulgaria is now being withheld! A fools errand. There are so many better options in Czech, Hungary or Latvia.
Reply 10
Original post by Cooliomed
That university is a hotbed of corruption and the student loan in Bulgaria is now being withheld! A fools errand. There are so many better options in Czech, Hungary or Latvia.

what do u think of spain?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ranz
what do u think of spain?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ace but not affordable for me.
Original post by ranz
that sounds motivating! congrats btw! would u mind me asking if u took the 3 years due to circumstances? and what unis u applied to ?
yh dentistry is just my ultimate goal! x

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't have mitigating circumstances, after my first year I moved to a sixth form rather than a college and did a different exam board for chemistry and dropped physics and took up English literature instead.
Last year I applied to Sheffield (pre interview rejection), Leeds (interview) Plymouth (offer) and Newcastle (pooled).

I've just firmed Newcastle to start in September this year :smile:
Reply 13
u must be soo excited! do u know what other unis allow 3 years of alevels without circumstances? is newcastle one of them? i know leeds and plymouth are! x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ranz
u must be soo excited! do u know what other unis allow 3 years of alevels without circumstances? is newcastle one of them? i know leeds and plymouth are! x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly no, I had to do a lot of research before applying and I knew Sheffield and Newcastle were risks. Plymouth and Leeds are the only 2 that definitely don't mind.

I think Manchester might be okay as long as you get an A* in the topic you're resitting (if you don't have mitigating circumstances)

I heard Sheffield would consider my having done resits if I had an amazing UKCAT score but they said if it were between me and another candidate who had not resat any exams then the other candidate would be favoured.

Newcastle say they would normally expect applicants to have completed their a levels within 2 years. I guess for them it might just depend on whether or not you meet the UKCAT threshold for that particular cycle and if your personal statement is strong? I am going through the partners programme for Newcastle but I doubt that would make a difference.

EDIT: And yes I'm extremely excited! It's so amazing to finally have an offer from my favourite university after 4 years!
Try Spain they have quite a few dentistry courses

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ranz
Hi!
Thanks!

Hey I think if you really want to do dentistry you should just go for it at the end it doesn't matter I'm in the same boat got rejected by all my unis but I am going to reapply I just came across this n it really motivates me to carry on trying bcoz I think I relate to all of these ppl and I won't find a job that i fit in better with http://youtu.be/JvYazprEbow
Reply 17
Original post by dentalkid
Hey I think if you really want to do dentistry you should just go for it at the end it doesn't matter I'm in the same boat got rejected by all my unis but I am going to reapply I just came across this n it really motivates me to carry on trying bcoz I think I relate to all of these ppl and I won't find a job that i fit in better with http://youtu.be/JvYazprEbow

thank you!!
i know i cant imagine doing anything else!! i needd to become a dentist! ill be applying aswell next year hoping i get the grades! many luck!!! are u a gap year or yr 13 student btw?
Original post by ranz
thank you!!
i know i cant imagine doing anything else!! i needd to become a dentist! ill be applying aswell next year hoping i get the grades! many luck!!! are u a gap year or yr 13 student btw?

Have you considered studying in Czech Republic? I am heading out in September.
Reply 19
Original post by Cooliomed
Have you considered studying in Czech Republic? I am heading out in September.

yes i have looked into studying abroad, however i feel like i should give it one more shot i think its worth it. how much are fees per year if u dont mind me asking?

Quick Reply