The Student Room Group

Convergence Tests

Hello.

Does anyone know about convergence tests and if so could they check if my solutions are correct.

I can upload the questions and my solutions to them later.

Just made an acc here

Thanks

N
Reply 1
Original post by L'Evil Wolf
Hello.

Does anyone know about convergence tests and if so could they check if my solutions are correct.

I can upload the questions and my solutions to them later.

Just made an acc here

Thanks

N

I am sure somebody will
Reply 2
Original post by TeeEm
I am sure somebody will

thnx for the reply
Reply 3
pls can someone view the link:

my work is on there thnx

http://imgur.com/a/IHjiO

N
pls can someone view the link:

my work is on there thnx

http://imgur.com/a/IHjiO

N

This is right. The last "series" should be "sequence" though.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by morgan8002
This is right. The last "series" should be "sequence" though.

ah thank you, apart from that though is everything fine. When I checked whether my answer was correct on wolfram they said something about a root test idk.
ah thank you, apart from that though is everything fine. When I checked whether my answer was correct on wolfram they said something about a root test idk.

There's many ways to do it. Yours is probably the simplest. Root test is covered later and is more complicated.
Reply 7
There's many ways to do it. Yours is probably the simplest. Root test is covered later and is more complicated.

Thank you morgan,

Wolfram says that it is a series though - are you sure it is a sequence. I am not sure myself.

Thanks for the help btw
Thank you morgan,

Wolfram says that it is a series though - are you sure it is a sequence. I am not sure myself.

Thanks for the help btw

It depends on what you are referring to. Let mx=x+11+2xm_x = \dfrac{x+1}{1+2x}. Then (mx)xN\big(m_x\big)_{x\in \mathbb{N}} is a sequence, but x=0mx\displaystyle\sum_{x=0}^{\infty} m_x is a series.
In this case the sequence converges to 0.5 but the series does not converge.

The series is defined as the limit of the sequence of partial sums, limnx=0nmx\displaystyle\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\displaystyle\sum_{x=0}^{n} m_x. This could be what Wolfram is referring to as sequence.

Remember that a sequence is defined as a function from a subset of Z\mathbb{Z}(often N\mathbb{N}). A series is just a number if it converges.
Reply 9
It depends on what you are referring to. Let mx=x+11+2xm_x = \dfrac{x+1}{1+2x}. Then (mx)xN\big(m_x\big)_{x\in \mathbb{N}} is a sequence, but x=0mx\displaystyle\sum_{x=0}^{\infty} m_x is a series.
In this case the sequence converges to 0.5 but the series does not converge.

The series is defined as the limit of the sequence of partial sums, limnx=0nmx\displaystyle\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\displaystyle\sum_{x=0}^{n} m_x. This could be what Wolfram is referring to as sequence.

Remember that a sequence is defined as a function from a subset of Z\mathbb{Z}(often N\mathbb{N}). A series is just a number if it converges.

Thank you morgan.

Yes series is what I am most nearly referring to.

Eng not first language srry.

Quick Reply

Latest