The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 30 Hours
There's about 10 players in our squad I'd rather at LB

Most of us are struggling to think of the next best alternative and you have 10 names? Let's hear them.

Original post by Lúcio
Quite nervous about tonight.
Logically we should be fine - we're playing much better football and have a 2 goal advantage.

However this is Manchester United at Old Trafford. It doesn't matter how bad their team is, they can always do something special at this venue.

Really? I think we'll get a goal in the first half and kill the tie. We've got way more confidence (we've won the last 3 whereas Man Utd have LLLD) and our team will be fresher having not played at the weekend.

Original post by Mackay
Not having Flanagan in the EL squad could really bite us in the arse tonight. This would be the ideal game, with the way we're looking to approach it, to bring him in for the injured Moreno. He has thrived against United in the past.

I guess the medical team probably thought he wasn't going to be able to get fully match fit so soon and therefore a waste of a slot in the 3 changes you're allowed? But I agree - do we have any cover in the EL squad for our fullback positions?
you'll go through tbh
Original post by Zerforax
Most of us are struggling to think of the next best alternative and you have 10 names? Let's hear them.

Better than Sakho at left back? Sure

Smith
(Flanagan)
Can
Milner
Enrique
Randall
Henderson
Lallana
Maguire
Ibe
Lucas
Ilori
Lovren
McLaughlin
Cleary

With half of the names its easier to move Clyne across to LB and play them at RB. Sakho's an 'idea' but nothing more. He's probably the least cut out of all our CBs to play at fullback.
Better than Sakho at left back? Sure

Smith
(Flanagan)
Can
Milner
Enrique
Randall
Henderson
Lallana
Maguire
Ibe
Lucas
Ilori
Lovren
McLaughlin
Cleary

With half of the names its easier to move Clyne across to LB and play them at RB. Sakho's an 'idea' but nothing more. He's probably the least cut out of all our CBs to play at fullback.

Smith - yep that seems to be the obvious one
(Flanagan) - not in EL squad so redundant
Can - wasn't great at FB when we played with 4 under Rodgers. Also why would we weaken our midfield? If we moved him, our only option would be to play Allen
Milner - could work
Enrique - just no. He looked out of his depth against Exeter
Randall - could work if we we move Clyne to LB
Henderson - see above for Can re midfield
Lallana - I don't think we've seen Lallana at fullback?
Maguire - having only played 14 minutes for LFC I doubt Klopp would risk it. I presume he's not good enough
Ibe - might be a liability at fullback but perhaps
Lucas - he's injured
Ilori - not in the EL squad
Lovren - don't see how Lovren would be better at fullback than Sakho (who has played at LB and LCB for us)
McLaughlin - isn't he on loan at Aberdeen?
Cleary - he's never played for the first team so don't see it happening

So I'd say that's only 3 or 4 plausible alternatives to Sakho.
Flanagan set to sign a 3 year contract.
Original post by mr tim
Flanagan set to sign a 3 year contract.

Good to see. Must have convinced Klopp/the team that he can get back to his best.

"However, it is talent rather than sentiment that is at the core of his new deal, Klopp making his judgement based on the player’s performances since his comeback game in the Third Round of the FA Cup earlier this season.

The Liverpool coach opted to omit Flanagan from his Europa League squad in January, unsure if he would be at the required physical level for upcoming games. He later admitted he regretted that decision and had made a mistake."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/03/17/liverpool-will-hand-jon-flanagan-new-three-year-contract/

Re EL squad omission.
Good to see. Must have convinced Klopp/the team that he can get back to his best.

"However, it is talent rather than sentiment that is at the core of his new deal, Klopp making his judgement based on the player’s performances since his comeback game in the Third Round of the FA Cup earlier this season.

The Liverpool coach opted to omit Flanagan from his Europa League squad in January, unsure if he would be at the required physical level for upcoming games. He later admitted he regretted that decision and had made a mistake."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/03/17/liverpool-will-hand-jon-flanagan-new-three-year-contract/

Re EL squad omission.

I don't blame Klopp for omitting Flanagan from the EL squad back in Jan, he was out for so long it would have been very difficult to predict how Flanagan would have coped after his long absence. I'm absolutely delighted so see him sign a 3 year contract- he certainly deserves it with his performances of late.
Original post by The.Joker
I don't blame Klopp for omitting Flanagan from the EL squad back in Jan, he was out for so long it would have been very difficult to predict how Flanagan would have coped after his long absence. I'm absolutely delighted so see him sign a 3 year contract- he certainly deserves it with his performances of late.

Yea agreed. The changes in January were:

Steven Caulker, Joao Carlos Teixeira and Danny Ward have all been added to Liverpool’s Europa League squad for this season - but Adam Bogdan and long term injury victims Danny Ings and Joe Gomez have been removed.

Caulker has been an odd one.. we've barely seen him other than for him to play up front for us..
**** sake.. Hodgson has called Sturridge into the England squad.

Can't wait till he gets sacked after these Euros.
Yea agreed. The changes in January were:

Steven Caulker, Joao Carlos Teixeira and Danny Ward have all been added to Liverpool’s Europa League squad for this season - but Adam Bogdan and long term injury victims Danny Ings and Joe Gomez have been removed.

Caulker has been an odd one.. we've barely seen him other than for him to play up front for us..

Well Caulker came in as an emergency option because at the time we had a a big injury crisis going on. Anyways it was only a 6 month loan deal so I'm not fussed if he doesn't play for us again.

Regarding tonight I hope we go for the jugular and aim to get a goal ASAP. If we score inside 20 minutes you just know United will become jittery and as they'll have to go all out attack it means it'll be easier for us to pick them off on the counter. Not to mention OT will become toxic and angry which will only add to the nerves of the United players.

It'll be beautiful if we knock them out tonight. :sogood:
Original post by The.Joker
Well Caulker came in as an emergency option because at the time we had a a big injury crisis going on. Anyways it was only a 6 month loan deal so I'm not fussed if he doesn't play for us again.

Regarding tonight I hope we go for the jugular and aim to get a goal ASAP. If we score inside 20 minutes you just know United will become jittery and as they'll have to go all out attack it means it'll be easier for us to pick them off on the counter. Not to mention OT will become toxic and angry which will only add to the nerves of the United players.

It'll be beautiful if we knock them out tonight. :sogood:

Yea Caulker isn't a big deal. Just looks odd since we've barely used him :colondollar:

I think Klopp will tell the players they need to be intense for the first 20 minutes to stop Man Utd getting any momentum/into the tie. My only concern is we try too hard and end up with a player getting sent off for a silly decision. Will it be the same ref as for the first tie?

Well if we score 1, they need 4 goals so the tie will be basically over imo. If we score in the first half, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Man Utd fans left at HT.

Would be great if we could embarrass them like we did at Anfield. I think their fans would explode in rage :biggrin:
Reply 5512
Moreno being out isn't a problem, smith is probably just as good and Randall and Milner are other options if smith wasn't available for some reason.

Sakho or Can could also play there if we were desperate but we're not so there's no point weakening the team elsewhere for it.
That is great news about Flanagan. He's a local lad, and having those in the squad is crucial. I actually think this could be one of the most crucial bits of business Klopp does this year. I was concerned he'd be on his way out, and we'd lose that feel for the club.

Players like Flanagan just lifts the crowd. Seeing his name on the teamsheet fills me with confidence. Elsewhere, Kane and Mason and Alli are shining for Tottenham, Lingard and Rashford are retaining a local link for Man United, and you've got the stalwarts of Noble and JT at West Ham/Chelsea respectively.
Smith - yep that seems to be the obvious one
(Flanagan) - not in EL squad so redundant
Can - wasn't great at FB when we played with 4 under Rodgers. Also why would we weaken our midfield? If we moved him, our only option would be to play Allen
Milner - could work
Enrique - just no. He looked out of his depth against Exeter
Randall - could work if we we move Clyne to LB
Henderson - see above for Can re midfield
Lallana - I don't think we've seen Lallana at fullback?
Maguire - having only played 14 minutes for LFC I doubt Klopp would risk it. I presume he's not good enough
Ibe - might be a liability at fullback but perhaps
Lucas - he's injured
Ilori - not in the EL squad
Lovren - don't see how Lovren would be better at fullback than Sakho (who has played at LB and LCB for us)
McLaughlin - isn't he on loan at Aberdeen?
Cleary - he's never played for the first team so don't see it happening

So I'd say that's only 3 or 4 plausible alternatives to Sakho.

Can's played at fullback for Germany and done it well. Judging him in a BR defence is folly. Playing Allen would hardly weaken the midfield, he's played better than Henderson under Klopp. McLaughlin, Cleary and Maguire are all youth players but at least they're fullbacks and know the position and have the attributes for it. Which Sakho definitely doesn't. Lallana, and Ibe, eg, have more suitable attributes for the position.

And no, I saw McLaughlin playing for our U21s the other day. When have we seen Sakho at left back at btw?

You asked for 10 players and the only ones you can rule out are Lucas, Flanagan and Ilori, out of my list of 15. Notice that you didn't ask for my 10 preferred LB candidates, just 10 players better there than Sakho.
Original post by swirly
you'll go through tbh

Lmao you bitch

I assume you'll delete the identical comment from the United thread if we go through? :wink:
Original post by Mackay
That is great news about Flanagan. He's a local lad, and having those in the squad is crucial. I actually think this could be one of the most crucial bits of business Klopp does this year. I was concerned he'd be on his way out, and we'd lose that feel for the club.

Players like Flanagan just lifts the crowd. Seeing his name on the teamsheet fills me with confidence. Elsewhere, Kane and Mason and Alli are shining for Tottenham, Lingard and Rashford are retaining a local link for Man United, and you've got the stalwarts of Noble and JT at West Ham/Chelsea respectively.

Alli is from Milton Keynes, and has supported Liverpool all his life.
@Zerforax Actually just thought about it and remembered, Sakho played left back for us in a 1-0 home defeat to Southampton, that was probably our worst performance that season (13-14) and highlighted by an utter inability for us to get the ball out of the defence, and an inability to cope with tricky wingers. It's hilarious that you're using 'Sakho has played left back for us' as a positive when his performance at left back was literally the perfect example of why you don't play CBs at fullback, and basically a football lesson in what happens when you do make that mistake.
Can's played at fullback for Germany and done it well. Judging him in a BR defence is folly. Playing Allen would hardly weaken the midfield, he's played better than Henderson under Klopp. McLaughlin, Cleary and Maguire are all youth players but at least they're fullbacks and know the position and have the attributes for it. Which Sakho definitely doesn't. Lallana, and Ibe, eg, have more suitable attributes for the position.

And no, I saw McLaughlin playing for our U21s the other day. When have we seen Sakho at left back at btw?

You asked for 10 players and the only ones you can rule out are Lucas, Flanagan and Ilori, out of my list of 15. Notice that you didn't ask for my 10 preferred LB candidates, just 10 players better there than Sakho.

Can for Germany or for Germany U21? Tbh I don't care if Can might be a marginally better fullback when you know that Klopp won't move him out of the midfield partnership with Henderson.

If Allen has played so much better than Henderson, why does Henderson continue to start under Klopp?

Well they're all still youth players and not in the main squad for a reason. I doubt they have the physical attributes to compete in such an important game.

We're going into this game with a 2-0 lead - what we need to do is defend that lead. How is Lallana more suited to defend than Sakho? Even Ibe only played at fullback when it was more of a wingback/get the ball to attack formation.

Tbh I can't work out in what moronic fashion you've decided to interpret the discussion. The whole context of the discussion was - if Moreno is not fit to start, who are our best alternatives for the game tonight.

The answer seems to be Smith. I don't know why I've responded and gotten tangled into this conversation with you.
Original post by Lúcio
Lmao you bitch

I assume you'll delete the identical comment from the United thread if we go through? :wink:

this aint checkers bich its chess.

hashtag stayscheming

Latest