The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hello,
How would the admission tests work for History? I'm assuming that depending on the school, students will have studied different time periods from one another. Would there a single question spanning a large time frame or a choice of questions?
Thank you
Original post by lulub47
Hello,
How would the admission tests work for History? I'm assuming that depending on the school, students will have studied different time periods from one another. Would there a single question spanning a large time frame or a choice of questions?
Thank you

The History assessment will not require specific knowledge of any period. It will be split into two sections each lasting one hour. The first, shared with HSPS and Geography, will be multiple choice comprehension. The second, History specific, section, will have two sources and the candidates will be asked to compare and contrast the arguments and evidence in them. What we will be looking for is not knowledge but analytical skills.
What will the criteria for auto-pool be, now that most students, for the most part, will not have a best/most relevant 3 UMS? Will it exist at all, and, if so, how would it work for year 13 as well as post-qualification applicants?
Original post by francais123
What will the criteria for auto-pool be, now that most students, for the most part, will not have a best/most relevant 3 UMS? Will it exist at all, and, if so, how would it work for year 13 as well as post-qualification applicants?

Where best 3 UMS is available (for Welsh and Northern Irish students and in unreformed subjects), we will continue to use it for compulsory pooling. Post qualification thresholds for compulsory pooling (3 A*s, 42 points and 776, AAA at Advanced Highers) will remain the same.
Will GCSEs becoming increasingly important or not? Thanks for your help :smile:
I see economics will now have a maths/problem solving and a data response/comprehension assessment. Will these tests actually require specific economics knowledge? I assume not since some schools do not offer economics at A Level and economics isn't an entry requirement. However, will the tests still be based around economics so students who do take it can showcase their extra knowledge? Also do you know when specimen papers are scheduled to become available?
Original post by University of Cambridge
The History assessment will not require specific knowledge of any period. It will be split into two sections each lasting one hour. The first, shared with HSPS and Geography, will be multiple choice comprehension. The second, History specific, section, will have two sources and the candidates will be asked to compare and contrast the arguments and evidence in them. What we will be looking for is not knowledge but analytical skills.

What kinds of questions can we expect to be in the comprehension section? Would it be similar to the TSA, or other general logic-based reading questions?
Where best 3 UMS is available (for Welsh and Northern Irish students and in unreformed subjects), we will continue to use it for compulsory pooling. Post qualification thresholds for compulsory pooling (3 A*s, 42 points and 776, AAA at Advanced Highers) will remain the same.

There was a proposal to increase the compulsory pool thresholds in certain subjects but TSR was instrumental in defeating this! When you tell us, we listen!
Reply 48
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
There was a proposal to increase the compulsory pool thresholds in certain subjects but TSR was instrumental in defeating this! When you tell us, we listen!

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
When will a sample test for Economics be made available?
Reply 50
Are the admission tests all to be on the 2nd of November?
Original post by lulub47
Are the admission tests all to be on the 2nd of November?

Yes for all pre-interview tests except the BMAT
Reply 52
Original post by vinal_patel
Yes for all pre-interview tests except the BMAT

BMAT is also 2nd Nov.

Thanks for doing this thread, will there be a grade requirement in the new assessments for auto-pool seeing as every applicant will have sat these?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pompilius
What kinds of questions can we expect to be in the comprehension section? Would it be similar to the TSA, or other general logic-based reading questions?

They will ask you to identify the argument from short passages with a multiple choice series of answers. A sample will be released soon to give you an idea of how it will look.
Original post by vinal_patel
When will a sample test for Economics be made available?

I can't give you an exact date I am afraid. Each subject is producing their own sample papers and they will go up on the individual webpages as soon as they are available. I spect that most will be up within the next month or two but all will be up well in advance of the application deadline so that students can see what they are dealing with.
Original post by Runner0204
Thanks for doing this thread, will there be a grade requirement in the new assessments for auto-pool seeing as every applicant will have sat these?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No there won't be. These are simply part of the whole picture and, until we have strong evidnce to suggest that the assessments have a good predictive value they won't be used for compulsory pooling criteria.
Reply 57
Will the natural sciences admissions test be similar to the physics and chemistry Olympiads?
Original post by zbang
Will the natural sciences admissions test be similar to the physics and chemistry Olympiads?

I am not working on the Nat Sci assessment but I think it is likely to test different skills to those in the olympiads. There will be a multiple choice Maths/Science element lasting 80 minutes and then 40 minutes on more in-depth Science questions with, I think, the option for you to focus on your preferred areas of science.
Just top update people, it is hoped that specimen material for most/all subjects will go online by the end of this week so keep an eye on the website and especially he pages for your subject/s.

Latest

Trending

Trending