The Student Room Group

What's the best and worst thing about doing an apprenticeship?

Calling all apprentices - what's your experience of doing an apprenticeship?

Share the pros and cons below. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Worst thing - the coursework type stuff. I don't know if it's just mine that has it but it's awful and I really struggle with it. Also you feel really pressured to stay until the end even if you hate what you're doing because they rely on you passing the apprenticeship to get money from the government. I personally regret starting mine, I don't think I'll even pass.

Best thing - you get paid.
Reply 2
Best thing - On top of just "getting paid" I prefered that it was far more like going in to a normal job where you went in 9-5 and did actual work with only a couple of hours of classroom work every week.

Worst thing - Advancement prospects, there really isnt much scope for advancement from apprenticeships, with the exception of managment work you are really stuck on the bottom few rungs of any career unless you decide to go on to higher education.
Best thing? Free degree, better paid than entry level jobs in the company, career prospects, car scheme.

Worst thing? Low level assignments, and general low level qualifications. Level 5 maths to Level 2 IT in 24 hours is mind rotting. It's painful. Not to mention 9 hours of bench fitting.
Reply 4
Original post by DonkeyShlong
Best thing? Free degree, better paid than entry level jobs in the company, career prospects, car scheme.

Worst thing? Low level assignments, and general low level qualifications. Level 5 maths to Level 2 IT in 24 hours is mind rotting. It's painful. Not to mention 9 hours of bench fitting.

you dont get a degree from an apprenticeship lol
Original post by shawtyb

I do, Beng Applied Engineering - Warwick.

Do some research, degree apprenticeships are growing in popularity.

LOL
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
I do, Bsc Applied Engineering - Warwick.

Do some research, degree apprenticeships are growing in popularity.

LOL

so how long is it then? i was under the impression you had to do min 2-3 years for a degree and apprenticeships only last 1?
Original post by shawtyb
so how long is it then? i was under the impression you had to do min 2-3 years for a degree and apprenticeships only last 1?

6 years, 2 at college doing foundation degree, 4 at warwick part time (potentially only 3 with a bridging course from college to get into year 2) with a view to start your masters in year 6 if you get straight into second year.

So yeah, potentially an apprenticeship that will get you a Masters.

The more you know.
Reply 8
6 years, 2 at college doing foundation degree, 4 at warwick part time (potentially only 3 with a bridging course from college to get into year 2) with a view to start your masters in year 6 if you get straight into second year.

So yeah, potentially an apprenticeship that will get you a Masters.

The more you know.

jesus thats a long time!
why dont you just apply for the actual degree and cut the time down?
Original post by shawtyb
jesus thats a long time!
why dont you just apply for the actual degree and cut the time down?

Because I then have 6 years experience in a company, already trained in the job, the job is guaranteed at the end, and I get paid while I'm doing the degree with zero debt.

The whole apprenticeship, including wages, uni fees, etc. worth 250k.
Because I then have 6 years experience in a company, already trained in the job, the job is guaranteed at the end, and I get paid while I'm doing the degree with zero debt.

The whole apprenticeship, including wages, uni fees, etc. worth 250k.

hmm suppose, still a long time. how old are you now and how long have you been doing it?
Original post by shawtyb
hmm suppose, still a long time. how old are you now and how long have you been doing it?

Do you not intend to hold down a job for more than 6 years?
I took a job at 24 effectively.
Now 26 coming to the end of year 2.
It's well paid, gives me a lot more flexibility than a traditional degree course, and breaks up the studying.

Everyone who was 18 when they started it has had a blast for the last 2 years, getting paid that much and driving brand new cars? And they're earning more than most grads.
Do you not intend to hold down a job for more than 6 years?
I took a job at 24 effectively.
Now 26 coming to the end of year 2.
It's well paid, gives me a lot more flexibility than a traditional degree course, and breaks up the studying.

Everyone who was 18 when they started it has had a blast for the last 2 years, getting paid that much and driving brand new cars? And they're earning more than most grads.

well yea of course but it could be cancelled for what ever reason? your apprenticeship i mean
Original post by shawtyb

You can. Some level 3's even get you onto level (undergrad) programmes. If I didnt have my own company I would've done a higher level apprenticeship programme.

Of course this all depends on the industry you want to enter. Some are a waste of time and employers take advantage of paying you a pittance and getting £1500 per apprentice after 3 months from the government.

They aren't all poorly paid however, some offer £1500/m right out the gate. Then again previous experience goes a long way here too
Original post by shawtyb
well yea of course but it could be cancelled for what ever reason? your apprenticeship i mean

No it can't there's legislation that means they have to provide you with all the agreed training, and the salaries agreed, regardless of the company's situation. So I've got at least 6 years and a degree out of this. There's also the 1000+ other apprentices so you've kind of got to think, if you're taking on that many, you're not going bump for a while.
No it can't there's legislation that means they have to provide you with all the agreed training, and the salaries agreed, regardless of the company's situation. So I've got at least 6 years and a degree out of this. There's also the 1000+ other apprentices so you've kind of got to think, if you're taking on that many, you're not going bump for a while.

iv been told im not aloud to do one :frown:
Original post by shawtyb
iv been told im not aloud to do one :frown:

Why's that? What qualifications do you have?

Have you graduated?

I started uni and dropped out. Sometimes seems to work in your favour.
Why's that? What qualifications do you have?

Have you graduated?

I started uni and dropped out. Sometimes seems to work in your favour.

its my level 4 one thats stopping me and not yet, soon to go into year 2 of uni
even if i dropped out, my level 4 from uni will stop me getting one
"too highly qualified"
Original post by shawtyb
its my level 4 one thats stopping me and not yet, soon to go into year 2 of uni
even if i dropped out, my level 4 from uni will stop me getting one
"too highly qualified"

People on mine already have a foundation degree, one girl was in her final exams of an OU degree, when she applied, but didn't have a degree so was fine.

Look for higher apprenticeships, or degree apprenticeships.

What are you looking for an apprenticeship in?
People on mine already have a foundation degree, one girl was in her final exams of an OU degree, when she applied, but didn't have a degree so was fine.

Look for higher apprenticeships, or degree apprenticeships.

What are you looking for an apprenticeship in?

i can try but i dont think they do them around here
iv been rejected from two now due to university
and something in admin/management

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending