The Student Room Group

Southampton University or King's College for Computer Science

I've gotten 2 offers to study Computer science at both these Universities and not sure which to pick. I am from London and would personally prefer King's due to it's reputation, but Southampton seems more challenging and intensive. What do you beautiful people think?
Original post by wdkmwd
I've gotten 2 offers to study Computer science at both these Universities and not sure which to pick. I am from London and would personally prefer King's due to it's reputation, but Southampton seems more challenging and intensive. What do you beautiful people think?

Southampton has the better program and department by far.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I agree, but King's has a better reputation doesn't it.
Original post by wdkmwd
I agree, but King's has a better reputation doesn't it.

No, Southampton has a better reputation for CS. If we were talking about Medicine or Law, sure but not CS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
No Reputation as a University as a whole. I'm kinda picky on things like this LOL.

Like The University of Hull has a greater reputation for CS than a school like Queen Mary, but who would wanna go to Hull over Queen Mary?
Original post by wdkmwd
No Reputation as a University as a whole. I'm kinda picky on things like this LOL.

Like The University of Hull has a greater reputation for CS than a school like Queen Mary, but who would wanna go to Hull over Queen Mary?

QM has a better rep for CS than Hull does..

Are you going to go up to Google and say: 'Kings has a better global rep, choose me over that Southampton guy'? Really?

Global rep is pointless in the context of choosing the best option, which is Southampton. Have you been to see the CS department?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by wdkmwd

It's an attractive idea going to a 'reputed' uni, but at the end of the day don't you want whichever one gets you the better job? In CS, that'd be Soton not KCL most probably.
Reply 7
Original post by TVIO
It's an attractive idea going to a 'reputed' uni, but at the end of the day don't you want whichever one gets you the better job? In CS, that'd be Soton not KCL most probably.

You guys have good points though.

I'll have to speak to my parents
Reply 8
Original post by Princepieman
QM has a better rep for CS than Hull does..

Are you going to go up to Google and say: 'Kings has a better global rep, choose me over that Southampton guy'? Really?

Global rep is pointless in the context of choosing the best option, which is Southampton. Have you been to see the CS department?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have to disagree with you there.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2015/may/25/university-guide-2016-league-table-for-computer-science-information
Soton has a really great comp science saw it when i was deciding what uni id do my foundation year its really great. Even though i didnt pick it cause bham is good enough ans 7k cheaper each year for me cause i live here lol

1. The guardian's ranking is *******s, always has been and always will be
2. QMUL has a much higher research rating, better students attending and better employment statistics.

If you're really going to use the guardian as your reference for uni rep, you probably need to seriously reconsider this whole uni thing. Savage? Tough cookies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
1. The guardian's ranking is *******s, always has been and always will be
2. QMUL has a much higher research rating, better students attending and better employment statistics.

If you're really going to use the guardian as your reference for uni rep, you probably need to seriously reconsider this whole uni thing. Savage? Tough cookies.

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=computer%20science

I guess these ones are "*******s" as well.

Save your savagery for someone who cares.
Original post by wdkmwd
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=computer%20science

I guess these ones are "*******s" as well.

Save your savagery for someone who cares.

Do me a favour and look at the past five years of rankings for both.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Do me a favour and look at the past five years of rankings for both.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just shows that one is on the rise while one is one the decline.

And why would you tell me to reconsider going to University. I have a potential I have to fulfil
Reply 14
Original post by wdkmwd

And why would you tell me to reconsider going to University. I have a potential I have to fulfil

Going to a less prestigious university as a whole only makes sense if you value educational value above prestige.

You have to make that choice yourself.
Original post by wdkmwd

Because you didn't really use reasoning when you said Hull is better than QMUL, virtually all the numbers show that it's not the case (apart from 'student satisfaction'). I do apologise as I got a bit annoyed :smile:

Anyway, I'd still say go for Southampton as its CS department is one of the best in the UK with brilliant facilities available.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Because you didn't really use reasoning when you said Hull is better than QMUL, virtually all the numbers show that it's not the case (apart from 'student satisfaction':wink:. I do apologise as I got a bit annoyed :smile:

Anyway, I'd still say go for Southampton as its CS department is one of the best in the UK with brilliant facilities available.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's alright.

If anything I'm excited about getting a second Unconditional offer from another top RG Uni

What I meant is Hull for 2016 was better for CS than QM, QMUL is obviously a far better university overall. I would know because i did my foundation year there hehe

Quick Reply

Latest