The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MJK91
A registration exam isn't necessarily a barrier to GEM courses though, may just mean a later start for FY1 to allow all schools to sit the exam at different points?

I agree, they could definitely fit a national exam into the current format. It would probably work in a similar way to the current PSA and SJT. I think the biggest barrier would be if they decided to move registration to the end of Medical School. GEM courses would either have to become five years long (and if they're anything like Imperial's course they wouldn't attract any funding) or perhaps exclude Arts grads and try and use previous study to make up the fifth year, neither of which are ideal considering GEM is supposed to increase diversity and access to Medicine.
(edited 8 years ago)
Have any graduates heard from Bristol?
Original post by Mr Men
I'm currently in my first year at Nottingham, it's great! Any questions you might have feel free to ask (other than specific interview questions obviously) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

hi mr men, i would like to as how you prepared for the gamsat exam ?
thank you
Is anybody else thinking of applying for the Army medical services bursary scheme and know what the deal is for graduate entry medics?
Original post by tommyGEM
Is anybody else thinking of applying for the Army medical services bursary scheme and know what the deal is for graduate entry medics?

Yes, I plan to. You have to get a place at medical school before you can apply for the scheme. It's the same deal for GEM as it is for undergraduate Medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rich_JW95
Thanks for the honesty! I'm definitely not expecting it to be an easy time anyway. But that sounds great - repetition is key to retaining information so that'd be a great help in terms of learning the material! Look forward to it (hopefully). One more question: do most people choose to live in Derby or do some live in Nottingham? I was just wondering in terms of accommodation if I do get in this year - I quite like living in Nottingham at the moment and wouldn't mind using the Hopper bus to get across to Derby.

Most people (95%) choose to live in Derby and then move to Nottingham after the 18 months are up. The hopper bus can get ridiculously busy in the morning and evening as Derby also hosts MPT students and Graduate entry nurses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LilithSternin
I totally agree that overworking is a thing. UKCAT is such a tightly timed test that if you're not functioning at 100% level then it can be super tough. I mostly used Medify and did the practice tests on the UKCAT website, I did have the 600 Questions book which I did a bit of practice out of, and whilst it was useful just to have some extra questions to practice it wasn't as good as Medify in my opinion. I think some people on here used a Kaplan book, but I didn't use that personally. Practicing with the time limits was a big thing for me too.

I have to be honest, VR was the one section I was reasonably confident with from the beginning, I was always pretty good at comprehension type stuff and I'm a freakishly fast reader which helped. I just did loads of practice on it like the other sections, but I don't have any specific advice I'm afraid. I think there's definitely an element of luck in the UKCAT, I hadn't been scoring anywhere near as well on practices as I did in the real thing for QR and I think I was just really lucky that day to get questions that I could work through quickly and logically.

Thank you so much for your advice. Much appreciated. My VR is weak so I will work on my reading speed and comprehension.

This year there is no more Decision Analysis and we will be tested with Decision Making but it won't be scored. I guess that's enough time to focus on the other sections :smile: Thank you so much!
Reply 5087
Original post by kethan
They said 4 weeks to everyone it seems. Mine was on the 9th and the "4 week deadline" was today. Someone rang up on the SGUL thread and they told them that we'd all hear by mid next week! (Quote below)

Is there a separate threat for SGUL graduate applicants? I have not been able to find it if so (only the general SGUL thread, which is mostly for school leavers). I'd be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction, thanks!
Original post by dj263
Is there a separate threat for SGUL graduate applicants? I have not been able to find it if so (only the general SGUL thread, which is mostly for school leavers). I'd be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction, thanks!

Hopefully, you'll find it here :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3729065&page=7
Reply 5089

Thank you!
Medicine is getting harder every year, I am aware that GEM is going to close down and universities are making it 5 years also the governement wont be funding the course. The whole 5 years students have to fund unless they are school leavers.

System is messed up guys !

but keep going and never give up
Original post by 2016sgulphysio
Medicine is getting harder every year, I am aware that GEM is going to close down and universities are making it 5 years also the governement wont be funding the course. The whole 5 years students have to fund unless they are school leavers.

System is messed up guys !

but keep going and never give up

Woah there! None of this is confirmed as yet, it's just a suggestion! And if it does happen it won't be for a good few years yet!

Posted from TSR Mobile
it would be soon my dear friend few years time is like tomorrow ! thats how quick the days are flying. I am seeing people with top notch grades but they are still struggling to win a place in medical school. The competition is very fierce more than ever and it is getting harder every year. 2017 entry will be different to this year as the UKCAT is introducing a new section and things are getting adjusted accordingly ! But than again if any one has a passion to do Medicine they should follow it. These are the things I have found out and this is coming from the talks of the General Medical Council known as GMC.
Original post by LilithSternin
Dissertation done and bound - that warrants a Grey's Anatomy binge, right?!

Hi, what was your UKCAT score? :smile:
Original post by jenigma
Hi, what was your UKCAT score? :smile:

I was fortunate enough to get an overall score of 737.5 (740, 880, 650, 680).

I am, I've spoken to their recruitment officers and we need to apply as soon as we get to uni as the application process can take a year and we get funding for final 3 years which, for GEM students is years 2,3 and 4. If you don't mind me asking, what is making you pick army over RAF? I myself am trying to make this decision.
Original post by MickyVee
I am, I've spoken to their recruitment officers and we need to apply as soon as we get to uni as the application process can take a year and we get funding for final 3 years which, for GEM students is years 2,3 and 4. If you don't mind me asking, what is making you pick army over RAF? I myself am trying to make this decision.

I'm picking RAF over Army mainly because of the force itself. Although I'm not sure about the opportunities available nowadays in the RAF.
Reply 5097

thats the decision I'm trying to make too, and I'm finding it hard! do you know if we can apply to both and then see which one we get?
Reply 5098

I am, if I manage to get an offer.

I'm hoping to apply for a cadetship with the Navy, or failing that, joining the Navy after the foundation years. I considered the Army and RAF ones, but experiences in the OTC and TA have put me off the Army. I think I remember reading somewhere that one of them didn't allow you to apply for a cadetship if you were doing medicine as a second degree. Although I can't remember where I read it, and can't find any mention of it now.

Have they given you more info on the career progression? There isn't much on their websites.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending