The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

the worst was when princess Diana died people like to cannonise people especially 'celebrities'
Original post by Damien96
A few points here.

I didn't say no one had the right to "Mourn" of course it is a right, as you said, I wanted some perspective. I was invited to a pub to watch Lemmy's funeral. Surely that's a step, or many, too far?

Regarding the people we choose to idolise, (any idolisation is problematic) I completely agree. Art brings us much, including popular art, but you do wish the attention was spread across other fields.

The Internet is not best suited to grown up discourse. People read what they want in a quote or opinion and argue that. Nuance is lost and received wisdoms entrenched. Add to that an army of trolls and hateful keyboard warriors and it just becomes unpleasant and pointless. It is hugely refreshing to receive a message such as yours as a result. :smile:

Haha, thanks! I don't see any rudeness on your part, and, I think you handled it quite maturely. Also, if I may say so, you're quite eloquent, which shows that you're not utterly uninformed.

Yeah, I think watching funerals the way people watch the oscars, or a football game, is wrong. I actually do feel like the solemnity is lost the moment it goes on the internet. A common trend I see in people nowadays is just sharing pictures of these artists and, mourning them, whereas they don't know anything about them. I know of people who just try to show their 'vintageness' and 'I'm a rebel, don't fall under the social norms of Justin Bieber and 1d'

Yeah, probably not going debate, the internet space is probably not a space you want to share opinions, because, most of the time you do get hate, no matter what the opinion.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by karl pilkington
the worst was when princess Diana died people like to cannonise people especially 'celebrities'

Yeah it seems as if that was the point where it all went wrong and you can't blame the Internet for once. We can blame Elton John and Tony Blair though.
They are only flying too close to the sun 🎤
Reply 44
Original post by fandom-queen
Haha, thanks! I don't see any rudeness on your part, and, I think you handled it quite maturely. Also, if I may say so, you're quite eloquent, which shows that you're not utterly uninformed.

Yeah, I think watching funerals the way people watch the oscars, or a football game, is wrong. I actually do feel like the solemnity is lost the moment it goes on the internet. A common trend I see in people nowadays is just sharing pictures of these artists and, mourning them, whereas they don't know anything about them. I know of people who just try to show their 'vintageness' and 'I'm a rebel, don't fall under the social norms of Justin Bieber and 1d'

Yeah, probably not going debate, the internet space is probably not a space you want to share opinions, because, most of the time you do get hate, no matter what the opinion.

Thank you! It's nice someone gets the point after 2 hours of **** flinging :biggrin:

I wholeheartedly agree with you, including the part about loss. the thing about genuine grief is it doesn't typically lead to public expressions of it.

Loss, on the other hand, is something I felt, particularly after Bowie died, and I resented the forced nature of the reaction as a result.

Just my personal view, I wasn't calling for legislation or anything :smile:
Thank you! It's nice someone gets the point after 2 hours of **** flinging :biggrin:

I wholeheartedly agree with you, including the part about loss. the thing about genuine grief is it doesn't typically lead to public expressions of it.

Loss, on the other hand, is something I felt, particularly after Bowie died, and I resented the forced nature of the reaction as a result.

Just my personal view, I wasn't calling for legislation or anything :smile:

No, i understand. Your reaction makes sense. Sometimes, when you lose someone dear, it's not about bawling your eyes out in public, but crying yourself to sleep, alone, in your room.

That analogy shows that, just because you don't share a post of David Bowie passing away, or write enormous tributes for him, doesn't mean you don't care.

I absolutely hate it, when later, you're talking about him in person with a friend, and the 'friend' sort of looks at you, in this condescending way "you didn't even share his music, or news of his death, which means I'm a bigger fan than you are, or, I love him music more" That's the WORST. How dare you judge my feelings, and my love for an artists and his music based on how actively I share his work?! His work is personal, what the hell do you know?

I mourn alone, and I think it's best not to sensationalise news of someone passing away.
Reply 46
No, i understand. Your reaction makes sense. Sometimes, when you lose someone dear, it's not about bawling your eyes out in public, but crying yourself to sleep, alone, in your room.

That analogy shows that, just because you don't share a post of David Bowie passing away, or write enormous tributes for him, doesn't mean you don't care.

I absolutely hate it, when later, you're talking about him in person with a friend, and the 'friend' sort of looks at you, in this condescending way "you didn't even share his music, or news of his death, which means I'm a bigger fan than you are, or, I love him music more" That's the WORST. How dare you judge my feelings, and my love for an artists and his music based on how actively I share his work?! His work is personal, what the hell do you know?

I mourn alone, and I think it's best not to sensationalise news of someone passing away.

Yes, it's all a performance and is all about them. You can also tell that's the case because the things they say about the dead are always the same. How is honouring someone by ascribing the same qualities to every one of them?
I am not telling anyone what to feel but if you feel the need to go out into the streets or, as I've heard, tell people when Bowie died it was worse than your mother dying, then you probably need some perspective.

I loved Bowie and Lemmy's music but I don't need to make a public spectacle of myself or create a new Jesus Christ.

http://thesatedire.com/entertainment/music-tragedy-continues-as-glenn-medeiros-sprains-ankle/

:biggrin:

I mean.... for some people when an artist dies it can really hurt as you may have grown up listening to this person's music/following their career, and it can be hard to accept they are gone - as they remind you of your childhood/best years of your life.

Also, musicians have often been known to really help people's mental health. From a personal point of view, I wasnt doing so great with my mental health a while back - and I know certain music can really improve how you feel, and make you want to continue with life.

So, i get what youre saying...to an extent. I guess 'celebs' as a whole you could be right, because Kim Kardashian for example- she hasn't mentally impacted me with her art, or been in a movie that holds sentimental value. so, i guess if she died it wouldn't really have such a huge impact on people - other than family, friends and crazy mega fans obvs. (no hate to anyone here - I' just trying to get my point across. i have nothing against KimK, just trying to explain what i mean)

haha, I love the point you make about people trying to show their 'vintageness'. Like - I love the Beatles, and the beach boys, and Queen, but ya know, Justin Bieber defo has some bops lol.
Original post by MadisonBailey06
I mean.... for some people when an artist dies it can really hurt as you may have grown up listening to this person's music/following their career, and it can be hard to accept they are gone - as they remind you of your childhood/best years of your life.

Also, musicians have often been known to really help people's mental health. From a personal point of view, I wasnt doing so great with my mental health a while back - and I know certain music can really improve how you feel, and make you want to continue with life.

So, i get what youre saying...to an extent. I guess 'celebs' as a whole you could be right, because Kim Kardashian for example- she hasn't mentally impacted me with her art, or been in a movie that holds sentimental value. so, i guess if she died it wouldn't really have such a huge impact on people - other than family, friends and crazy mega fans obvs. (no hate to anyone here - I' just trying to get my point across. i have nothing against KimK, just trying to explain what i mean)

Just a heads up that this is a 6 year old thread so some of the people you're replying too may be inactive for some time.

Hi. This thread’s almost 7 years old.
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Hi. This thread’s almost 7 years old.

so? lol- am i not allowed to express my opinion on it?

It's against community rules to bump older threads, (more than a year as a guideline). It's better to start a new one if it's something you want to discuss.

This one just reads like an EPQ title.

Nope, it’s against the rules.
Original post by Admit-One
It's against community rules to bump older threads, (more than a year as a guideline). It's better to start a new one if it's something you want to discuss.

This one just reads like an EPQ title.

kay sorry - I didn't know
kay sorry - I didn't know

No worries, a lot of people don't know.

NB. The thread will probably get closed when the mods get around to it, but don't take it personally.

Latest