The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Interesting
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by ssshah2
m8 have you chosen not to read this thread at all?
OP is warning the likes of us to stay away from the department, (and FYI Bath engineering is far better).

I read all of it, and carefully. There seems to be complaints about chem, mech and biomed for engineering. I haven't seen any complaints on student room for civil yet, only positive experiences.
I'm aware but Bath's civil is more focussed on the structural side... Plus, UCL is in London, has better job prospects and is one of the most recognised unis worldwide.
Original post by zaybun
I read all of it, and carefully. There seems to be complaints about chem, mech and biomed for engineering. I haven't seen any complaints on student room for civil yet, only positive experiences.
I'm aware but Bath's civil is more focussed on the structural side... Plus, UCL is in London, has better job prospects and is one of the most recognised unis worldwide.

can confirm from friends who have graduated, civil eng at ucl is one of the best in the country, Civil Eng and Chem Eng are two very different beasts.
Reply 43
Original post by Oilfreak1
can confirm from friends who have graduated, civil eng at ucl is one of the best in the country, Civil Eng and Chem Eng are two very different beasts.

Thank you! :smile: Just can't wait to finish my a levels lol
Original post by zaybun

Sure the name recognition helps, but I also know for a fact that should you be actually good in the course you've applied for, then you could even study at Hertfordshire and get a job. Also, student satisfaction is a real thing, UCL, whilst being a world-renowned institution, has never been really great for engineering (of any kind), and so you could actually end up hating your course because of your experiences there.
Seriously consider bath, it is actually great for engineering.
A lot to take in eh :wink:
Cheers
Reply 45
Original post by ssshah2
Sure the name recognition helps, but I also know for a fact that should you be actually good in the course you've applied for, then you could even study at Hertfordshire and get a job. Also, student satisfaction is a real thing, UCL, whilst being a world-renowned institution, has never been really great for engineering (of any kind), and so you could actually end up hating your course because of your experiences there.
Cheers

I know, I've seen unistats and what not and I know Bath is brilliant for engineering but I like London! I don't think I could handle a small city for 4 years 😂 And I do want to live outside the UK in the future, so having a degree from UCL would make it much easier to do that. Its unfortunate but employers do look at prospective employees by which uni they went to and whether its recognised in their country :s-smilie:
I have a couple of friends who studied/are currently studying civ eng at ucl and love it. I'm also really liking their integrated programme...

Haha yes, a lot back at you :wink: but thanks!! :smile:
Original post by zaybun
I know, I've seen unistats and what not and I know Bath is brilliant for engineering but I like London! I don't think I could handle a small city for 4 years 😂 And I do want to live outside the UK in the future, so having a degree from UCL would make it much easier to do that. Its unfortunate but employers do look at prospective employees by which uni they went to and whether its recognised in their country :s-smilie:
I have a couple of friends who studied/are currently studying civ eng at ucl and love it. I'm also really liking their integrated programme...

I think you're making the right call
Reply 47
Original post by JustOneLastTime
Hi, I was wondering if you know how people feel About the natural sciences department, more towards biology and chemistry? If they enjoy the course and lectures? I'm currently deciding on what to firm and insure and UCL is one of them. Thanks! :smile:

Why hasn't anyone replied to this? I have pretty much the same question! It's either between Durham and UCL for Natural Sciences (though at Durham it's biology and Earth science- They won't let me do chemistry), I think both are equal academically (though you may argue this!) , though UCL is better on a worldwide scale and their experiences seem so different! However UCL seems to be in a bit of hot water at the moment regarding rent costs... any students on here?
Does anyone know how good the UCL Computer Science Department is?
I know the entry requirements are quite high - A*AA but I have also heard that UCL is not all that good for CompSci and is not worth having those grades as their entry requirements.
Is this true or not?
Thanks.
Reply 49
Original post by bj1
Why hasn't anyone replied to this? I have pretty much the same question! It's either between Durham and UCL for Natural Sciences (though at Durham it's biology and Earth science- They won't let me do chemistry), I think both are equal academically (though you may argue this!) , though UCL is better on a worldwide scale and their experiences seem so different! However UCL seems to be in a bit of hot water at the moment regarding rent costs... any students on here?

Because this is in the engineering forum...

Maybe check the UCL uni forum instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ssshah2
Cheers

Hindsight is 20/20, people need to make their own mistakes to learn from them.
Original post by zaybun

One of my best friends is currently in his 3rd year of Civ. Eng at UCL and loving it! And the other people in his course too! There's a lot of work with the courserwork especially but the lecturers are very good :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zaybun

In that case, UCL is definitely for you :smile:
Reply 53
Original post by Student403
I think you're making the right call

Yeah? Thanks :biggrin:
Reply 54
Original post by Metrododo
One of my best friends is currently in his 3rd year of Civ. Eng at UCL and loving it! And the other people in his course too! There's a lot of work with the courserwork especially but the lecturers are very good :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats awesome news! Thanks! Really excited to start in September lol👏🏼😂
Original post by zaybun
Thats awesome news! Thanks! Really excited to start in September lol👏🏼😂

Me too (although not civ engineering) xD it's definitely the best eng course at UCL
I think the best thing to take from this thread is that you shouldn't assume just because of the entry requirements that the course you're applying to is great.

Entry requirements are a way of filtering out applications. If UCL were to open a brand new degree that was poorly organised, probably garuanteed to still have high (AAB+) entry requirements solely based on the reputation of the uni.

Thanks OP for telling your experiences, I am not a highflier like a lot of people seem to be on this forum so it helps put me at ease about my decision making process. I used student statisfaction, feedback, contact type and assessment type to make my decisions.
Reply 57
Original post by Metrododo
Me too (although not civ engineering) xD it's definitely the best eng course at UCL

What course did you apply for ? :smile:
Original post by zaybun
What course did you apply for ? :smile:

Economics! was an unconditional offer too since I'm on a gap year so I'm pretty eager to start already :biggrin:
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Hindsight is 20/20, people need to make their own mistakes to learn from them.

Not to say foresight is blind

Latest

Trending

Trending