The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Scroll to see replies

Combined means you have to please both departments. Maybe one department felt you were OK, and the other thought you were not.

It's a competitive university, so I wouldn't be too offended by the rejection.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by swissinuk
I have the following offers:
International Management - University of Bath
International Business - University of Warwick
Combined Honours in Social Sciences (bus + geog) - Durham University

I applied to Exeter for Combined honours in Management and Geography.

I don't understand why Exeter would reject me, but the others accepted me. I am a home student.

It doesn't make sense to me...

There could be many reasons, it could be that the other candidates for the course are stronger, your personal statement didn't meet their requirements or they didn't feel that you'd be most suited to the course. Harsh reasons I know, but you have some brilliant options so unless you wanted to go to Exeter, I would keep in mind the offers you have :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Nameless Ghoul
Combined means you have to please both departments. Maybe one department felt you were OK, and the other thought you were not.

It's a competitive university, so I wouldn't be too offended by the rejection.

But arguably, the other universities are much more competitive...that's why it just doesn't make sense to me.
Reply 4
Original post by Slowbro93
There could be many reasons, it could be that the other candidates for the course are stronger, your personal statement didn't meet their requirements or they didn't feel that you'd be most suited to the course. Harsh reasons I know, but you have some brilliant options so unless you wanted to go to Exeter, I would keep in mind the offers you have :smile:

I'm not offended, just confused. I feel like the other universities are much stronger, so it doesn't make sense to me why Exeter would reject me.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.
I'm not offended, just confused. I feel like the other universities are much stronger, so it doesn't make sense to me why Exeter would reject me.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

They're not much stronger.
Reply 6
Because accepting sub standard students is too mainstream.
Reply 7
They're not much stronger.

Bath and Warwick are much stronger in management.

Durham is much stronger in Geography.
Bath and Warwick are much stronger in management.

Durham is much stronger in Geography.

They're all legit AAA courses. I don't know what makes you think that Bath and Warwick are much stronger.
Reply 9
They're all legit AAA courses. I don't know what makes you think that Bath and Warwick are much stronger.

Ranking. Exclusivity. Reputation. Judging a course based off its entry requirements is dumb.
Ranking. Exclusivity. Reputation. Judging a course based off its entry requirements is dumb.

Exclusivity? Surely the uni which rejects you is more exclusive than the uni which accepts you?

Entry is more sensible than reputation. How can you gauge rep? Are you working at an IB firm? Or are you listening to GCSE students on sites like this? Warwick and Exeter, Bath. Not going to make a difference which one you're going to.
Did you talk about geography in your ps?
Reply 12
Original post by PQ

Nah i talked about Computer science.
Reply 13
Exclusivity? Surely the uni which rejects you is more exclusive than the uni which accepts you?

Entry is more sensible than reputation. How can you gauge rep? Are you working at an IB firm? Or are you listening to GCSE students on sites like this? Warwick and Exeter, Bath. Not going to make a difference which one you're going to.

Yes it will make a difference. Bath is consistently ranked top 3, this year 1, in the UK for management. Exeter is lucky to make it into the top 10.

Anyway, don't you have some colouring in to do for your smart person course?
Reply 14
Original post by PQ

I did, but now that I think about it I reckon it could be because I didn't show enough enthusiasm for the combined honours course. I was applying to a mix of courses, so I had to find a balance, and I guess I didn't do so successfully. I'm guessing there are other students that ONLY apply to Business and Geography courses, and of course it would make more sense to take them. Plus, at Durham I didn't get accepted for specifically the Business and Geography combination, but just combined honours.
Yes it will make a difference. Bath is consistently ranked top 3, this year 1, in the UK for management. Exeter is lucky to make it into the top 10.

Anyway, don't you have some colouring in to do for your smart person course?

I mean, I don't really know much about the management course here because I don't like associating with the thick kids. I know they're pretty good, though. Looking at entry standards, Warwick, Exeter and Durham are all on 471. Bath a lil better on 490. The idea that there is a chasm between any of these universities is misplaced. Not that this is hugely relevant because we didn't give you the option to choose.
Reply 16
I mean, I don't really know much about the management course here because I don't like associating with the thick kids. I know they're pretty good, though. Looking at entry standards, Warwick, Exeter and Durham are all on 471. Bath a lil better on 490. The idea that there is a chasm between any of these universities is misplaced. Not that this is hugely relevant because we didn't give you the option to choose.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Business+%26+Management+Studies

http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2015/may/25/university-league-tables-2016#S240

I think that speaks for itself.

Besides, I wasn't exactly rejected, they told me I can still study Management at Exeter, or another combination in the combined honours program. I would be stupid to do so.

Now you say "But you are stupid, you are going to study management."

You're right, i'm very stupid. A silly, silly man.
Reply 17
TBH, you just sound like a whiny little spoilt brat, subtly trying to brag about your other offers.

You were rejected, so take it or leave it.

Whining and bitch-ing about it on a student forum won't change anything.
Reply 18
Original post by wdkmwd
TBH, you just sound like a whiny little spoilt brat, subtly trying to brag about your other offers.

You were rejected, so take it or leave it.

Whining and bitch-ing about it on a student forum won't change anything.

That guy started it.
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Business+%26+Management+Studies

http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2015/may/25/university-league-tables-2016#S240

I think that speaks for itself.

Besides, I wasn't exactly rejected, they told me I can still study Management at Exeter, or another combination in the combined honours program. I would be stupid to do so.

Now you say "But you are stupid, you are going to study management."

You're right, i'm very stupid. A silly, silly man.

The difference between Warwick and Exeter in that ranking is the research quality. I am not sure it's hugely relevant that the bloke teaching you how to use Microsoft Exel also writes a few books.

You were rejected for the combined course, aye. You were accepted on the other combined courses. Hence, Exon. is more exclusive. It's simple logic.

Latest

Trending

Trending