The Student Room Group

Weight continuously decreasing

Hi there. My weight is continuously decreasing and I don't know why. I eat a lot of food and am actually having 5 meals a day rather than 3 (because of my IBD, it is recommended I do this). I check my weight weekly to make sure that it isn't decreasing, but everytime I check, it keeps going down. I have absolutely no intention of losing weight because I really just want to gain it! I made a weekly record of my weight in kg for around 3 months since my last hospital appointment. I am 16 and my height is around 5' 3''
Week 1 : 45.7
Week 2: 46
Week 3 : 45.8
Week 4 : 45.5
Week 5 : 45.2
Week 6 : 45
Week 7 : 44.5
Week 8 : 44.3
Week 9 : 44
Week 10 : 43.7
Week 11 : 43.5
Week 12 (today) : 43.2

Also, if you think you know who I am, please do not say my username aloud! Much appreciated. Thank you for any responses in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
id go drs, could be a serious reason behind it
Go to your GP if you're eating a lot - even if you're not I'd go anyway
Have you been tracking caloric intake over the same interval?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Docjones1
Go to your GP if you're eating a lot.

I don't really go to my GP as my check ups are at the hospital, and anything regarding something like this requires me to call the hospital instead of my GP. When this happened a few months ago, they asked me to see a paediatric nutritionist, but she didn't do anything as she was satisfied with how I was eating. My mum rang my hospital and they said that my doctor isn't there atm, so I can't see her and that my doctor said not see anyone other doctor or something because she knows my whole medical record. :confused::confused::confused: But, I'm going to continuously pester them till I can get an appointment, even though my next one is in approx 2 weeks.
Reply 5
Original post by drandy76

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I tend not to track calory intake as I just prefer to continuously eat than count how much I take in. Would you recommend that I do that?
Original post by Anonymous
No, I tend not to track calory intake as I just prefer to continuously eat than count how much I take in. Would you recommend that I do that?

It would have been useful as it gives accurate evidence if you're just eating less, therefore losing weight, or if it's a medical issue, it might be worth tracking(at least roughly) between now and your next appointment,if nothing else but extra info to give to your doctor

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by shawtyb

I'm getting really worried that it is because no matter how much I eat, it just keeps decreasing. I don't do much activity during the day either, so I'm really confused as to whats going on!
Reply 8
It would have been useful as it gives accurate evidence if you're just eating less, therefore losing weight, or if it's a medical issue, it might be worth tracking(at least roughly) between now and your next appointment,if nothing else but extra info to give to your doctor

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't think of that. Thank you so much! I'll start doing that. I don't think that I would get a good response from my doctors in a few weeks as they'll probably want to have another check up as to why I'm not gaining anything.
Reply 9
I'm getting really worried that it is because no matter how much I eat, it just keeps decreasing. I don't do much activity during the day either, so I'm really confused as to whats going on!

i dont want to say anything to scare you but seriously get the first appointment you can
im sure its nothing serious but you cant rule it out
and for god sakes, do not google it - youl regret it
Original post by shawtyb
i dont want to say anything to scare you but seriously get the first appointment you can
im sure its nothing serious but you cant rule it out
and for god sakes, do not google it - youl regret it

Oh god no, of course not! I tell othes never to google their symptoms as you get the weirdest ass responses that'll scare the living daylights out of you lol. Thank you for your response :smile:
Hi there. My weight is continuously decreasing and I don't know why. I eat a lot of food and am actually having 5 meals a day rather than 3 (because of my IBD, it is recommended I do this). I check my weight weekly to make sure that it isn't decreasing, but everytime I check, it keeps going down. I have absolutely no intention of losing weight because I really just want to gain it! I made a weekly record of my weight in kg for around 3 months since my last hospital appointment. I am 16 and my height is around 5' 3''
Week 1 : 45.7
Week 2: 46
Week 3 : 45.8
Week 4 : 45.5
Week 5 : 45.2
Week 6 : 45
Week 7 : 44.5
Week 8 : 44.3
Week 9 : 44
Week 10 : 43.7
Week 11 : 43.5
Week 12 (today) : 43.2

Also, if you think you know who I am, please do not say my username aloud! Much appreciated. Thank you for any responses in advance :smile:

Wish my body did that.
Please go speak to a doctor about this
Original post by Rubicon1

Trying to book the next appointment available. It scares me that my weight is going down that drastically :frown:
Trying to book the next appointment available. It scares me that my weight is going down that drastically :frown:

I know its really easy to think of the worst possible scenarios but there are so many minor things that could be causing your weight loss to. As long as you stay optimistic and get checked. Good Luck
I know its really easy to think of the worst possible scenarios but there are so many minor things that could be causing your weight loss to. As long as you stay optimistic and get checked. Good Luck

Thank you x
Reply 16
I know you are being seen by a hospital doctor but if you see your GP they may be able to get you an earlier appointment. Good luck x
Original post by Drez999
I know you are being seen by a hospital doctor but if you see your GP they may be able to get you an earlier appointment. Good luck x

Thank you for your response. I'm currently trying to book the earliest appointment at either places. And thank you x
Original post by shawtyb

Original post by Docjones1
Go to your GP if you're eating a lot - even if you're not I'd go anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by I_Mir
Wish my body did that.

Original post by Drez999

Thank you all for your responses, have managed to book the next available appointment. Definitely going to take in what everyone has said :smile:
Thank you all for your responses, have managed to book the next available appointment. Definitely going to take in what everyone has said :smile:

Could be a thyroid problem.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Thyroid-over-active/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Quick Reply

Latest