The Student Room Group

Why isn't street begging illegal?

I mean people who beg should be fined and locked up for being a nuisance

Scroll to see replies

Please explain as to how it is breaking the law in any way?
Because some people need help because maybe they are homeless and can barely afford food, do you have a heart at all?
Reply 3
Original post by Blue_Mason

It is

Original post by Vikingninja

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vagrancy_Act_1824
(edited 8 years ago)
And if you think someone should be locked up for being a nuisance why aren't you locked up?
Reply 5
there was a guy who was from my home town who every one called 'bill the quid' cuz he would relentlessley ask EVERYONE for a quid and it got so bad an actual judge ban him from begging in the whole county

Well they are presumably begging because they are broke in the first place, so what good will giving them a fine do, it they already broke anyways?:s-smilie:
Reply 7
Original post by Vikingninja

Constant public street harassment.
I mean nobody wants to be asked for money in the streets of london
Reply 8
Original post by idontknowmedoyou
Because some people need help because maybe they are homeless and can barely afford food, do you have a heart at all?

We have free healthcare and a welfare system, so there no excuses to beg for money
Constant public street harassment.
I mean nobody wants to be asked for money in the streets of london

Someone asking if you can spare any change while you walk past them is not harassment lol we should do more to help our fellow human beings, what kinda of a world is it where we look at people in need and ignore them??
Original post by Mr Oompa Loompa
Well they are presumably begging because they are broke in the first place, so what good will giving them a fine do, it they already broke anyways?:s-smilie:

It will stop others from begging

Actually it is.
Incredibly ignorant view from someone who has clearly never gone a day in their life without the small comforts a middle-class lifestyle provides.
Original post by Blondie987
Someone asking if you can spare any change while you walk past them is not harassment lol we should do more to help our fellow human beings, what kinda of a world is it where we look at people in need and ignore them??

Omg we have a welfare system to stop people from begging and starving
Its why we pay taxes
Ive met homeless people who live in hostals but they say there are more Europeans there. Its true in some aspect some people beg if they have really bad circumstances ie been kickd out of the house, But some do it because its free money, we do have a welfare system we like in England after all.
We have free healthcare and a welfare system, so there no excuses to beg for money

I hope someone accidentally trips over your computer plug and removes you just for a second from my eyesight
It is illegal.
Reply 17
Most of them aint even homeless
Omg we have a welfare system to stop people from begging and starving
Its why we pay taxes

Well clearly the welfare system isn't efficient if there are still many people out on the streets
Original post by redleader1
Ive met homeless people who live in hostals but they say there are more Europeans there. Its true in some aspect some people beg if they have really bad circumstances ie been kickd out of the house, But some do it because its free money, we do have a welfare system we like in England after all.

No no that's horrible, people really are desperate. You can differentiate between the person who really is normal but needs help, and the person who is swindling or just a druggie. Which are horrible go-to stereotypes about beggars. I try to give what I can but I struggle myself

There was one time someone came on the train and he was very very badly injured with a bad recovery like he needed a cane and his leg was so infected and inflamed. And he could barely stand up straight or talk properly. Now Idk what got him there but it was painful to watch and the way he begged was very genuine I feel. But I just never know what spare coins can do for someone.

Quick Reply

Latest