The Student Room Group

Are these symptoms dyslexic traits?

-Not able to get a joke or very slowly whereas my friends would get it instantaneously
-Cannot recount a story using effective language. It just doesnt flow naturally from my tongue.
-Cannot read as fast as my classmates
-I cannot read a book, literally. Will get bored very easily, especially if theres no pictures, and very often I cannot understand it. I read summaries instead.
- Cannot do a presentation to either myself or a group of people. This goes hand in hand with the second one
-Cannot concentrate in class. I literally do not do ANYTHING in class. I normally learn best self taught. I normally pick one or two thinngs my teacher says but for the most part school isnt for me

On the other hand, i have very traits in some areas such as

-Mathematics
-Problem solving
-Creativity
-Literature writing
-Engineering
-I acheive all A*s in tests despite above difficulties
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by GeologyMaths
-Not able to get a joke or very slowly whereas my friends would get it instantaneously
-Cannot recount a story using effective language. It just doesnt flow naturally from my tongue.
-I cannot read a book, literally. Will get bored very easily, especially if theres no pictures, and very often I cannot understand it. I read summaries instead.
- Cannot do a presentation to either myself or a group of people. This goes hand in hand with the second one

-Mathematics
-Problem solving
-Creativity
-Literature writing
-Engineering

issue 1 - don't know
issue 2 - probably due to illiteracy, isn't dyslexia just not being able to read?
issue 3 - how fast do you read? Is a slow speed due to struggling to read the words?
issue 4 - you obviously have a lack of focus, dw I have this too
issue 5 - confidence issues? Lack of experience in public speaking/presenting?
-Not able to get a joke or very slowly whereas my friends would get it instantaneously. No, thats a trait of other related conditions though.
That's a possible trait.
-Cannot read as fast as my classmates- Definte trait
-I cannot read a book, literally. Will get bored very easily, especially if theres no pictures, and very often I cannot understand it. I read summaries instead. Definete triat
- Cannot do a presentation to either myself or a group of people. This goes hand in hand with the second one Doesnt necessarily mean anything really
-Cannot concentrate in class. I literally do not do ANYTHING in class. I normally learn best self taught. I normally pick one or two thinngs my teacher says but for the most part school isnt for me Could be a trait but could also be other things.

-Mathematics
-Problem solving
-Creativity
-Literature writing
-Engineering

See bold above.
What's your short term memory and processing speed like?
Original post by jamestg
issue 1 - probably due to illiteracy, isn't dyslexia just not being able to read?
issue 2 - how fast do you read? Is a slow speed due to struggling to read the words?
issue 3 - you obviously have a lack of focus, dw I have this too
issue 4 - confidence issues? Lack of experience in public speaking/presenting?

Ive updated some things

Lol i can read but what im saying is i'd get distracted quickly and dont find reading novels effective
Lol i can speak normally and very intelligently but the problem arises when i'm recounting something to someone if that makes sense
Yeah probably lack of focus
I have confidence its just that i find conveying language even to myself a difficulty
Original post by jamestg

isn't dyslexia just not being able to read?

That's not necessarily true, generally its only if you have severe dyslexia where you are completely unable to read and dyslexia comes with other issues not just reading problems.
If you're having reading difficulties, have you had your eyes tested recently?

Do you know why you can't concentrate in class? With me for example, it's a mix of sensory issues (my hearing is too sensitive and light can be too painful physically) and usually issues with boredom.
-Cannot concentrate in class. I literally do not do ANYTHING in class. I normally learn best self taught. I normally pick one or two thinngs my teacher says but for the most part school isnt for me

-Mathematics
-Problem solving
-Creativity
-Literature writing
-Engineering

You sound like my clone :wink:
Original post by claireestelle
That's not necessarily true, generally its only if you have severe dyslexia where you are completely unable to read and dyslexia comes with other issues not just reading problems.

Original post by Tiger Rag
If you're having reading difficulties, have you had your eyes tested recently?

Do you know why you can't concentrate in class? With me for example, it's a mix of sensory issues (my hearing is too sensitive and light can be too painful physically) and usually issues with boredom.

Forgot to mention i cannot see far away or the distance when my teacher writes on the board. Close ditsnce is fine though
Forgot to mention i cannot see far away or the distance when my teacher writes on the board. Close ditsnce is fine though

You may want to get your eyes tested then.
See bold above.
What's your short term memory and processing speed like?

My short term memory is quite sub-standard. It doesnt really affect me since my memory skills isnt tested. My processing speed is quite bad, as i said i dont often get jokes quickly. Also i cannot summarise a paragraph after reading it really well, sometimes even when theres a title.
You may want to get your eyes tested then.

Is this also a dyslexic trait? I will get it done thanks :smile:
Is this also a dyslexic trait? I will get it done thanks :smile:

Not as far as I'm aware. I've been tested and that didn't come up. It was mostly stuff like reading, logic, spelling and memory / recall.
Reply 12

Probably shortsightedness. It can have the aforementioned affects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My short term memory is quite sub-standard. It doesnt really affect me since my memory skills isnt tested. My processing speed is quite bad, as i said i dont often get jokes quickly. Also i cannot summarise a paragraph after reading it really well, sometimes even when theres a title.

It sounds like you have a few dyslexic traits to me.
It sounds like you have a few dyslexic traits to me.

Thanks

What advantage do dyslexic people have as far as exams are concerned? I feel like these traits are affecting my potential
Thanks

What advantage do dyslexic people have as far as exams are concerned? I feel like these traits are affecting my potential

there's a possibility of extra time and readers but that's about it exam wise. You d need a diagnosis first to get anything.
there's a possibility of extra time and readers but that's about it exam wise. You d need a diagnosis first to get anything.

How do i get a diagnosis? I spoke to my LD officier in school briefly today and she said i have some traits
How do i get a diagnosis? I spoke to my LD officier in school briefly today and she said i have some traits

Either your LD officier can help you get one if they have the right qualifications to do a screening but if they don't you would need to see an educational psychologist which can take a while as waiting lists can be long.
You can see an educational psychologist privately for a diagnosis if you have the money though.
Sounds as though you're trying to make your symptoms fit the diagnosis.
Hi,
Since i'm applying for SF, i was notified by this. What kind of equiments do they mean for the allowance?image.png
Sounds as though you're trying to make your symptoms fit the diagnosis.

Either your LD officier can help you get one if they have the right qualifications to do a screening but if they don't you would need to see an educational psychologist which can take a while as waiting lists can be long.
You can see an educational psychologist privately for a diagnosis if you have the money though.

Quick Reply

Latest