The Student Room Group

Access course questions

Hi guys bare with me, this is going to be long. I am 19 years old and have applied to do a Social Sciences access course starting in September.

2 years ago I finished my A levels and came out with 2 C's in Biology and Psychology and a B in AS business studies. When I took my A levels I was pretty much just jumping on the bandwagon with no idea what I wanted to do and so the motivation wasn't there to try as hard as possible; I didn't even consider university when the time came to apply. After failing 2 subjects in the first year I was given the option to either retake the year or carry on with Biology, Psychology, and General studies at A2 plus Business studies at AS. I chose the latter option after some bad advice from tutors.
After I got my results I didn't think that university was even worth considering and I had no idea what I would have picked anyway.

The next year I spent being a NEET. In September last year I enrolled at my local college to do a course in auto repair. Having got some experience at a garage I decided it wasn't for me and switched to a carpentry course. Although the course isn't too bad I really can't see myself in the construction industry or any physically laborious job; it doesn't help that the people are not at all like minded. I can only take so much banter.

So that brings me to now. I'm thinking about going to uni to study Philosophy
(this deeply interests me and I study it in my spare time) but my grades are dire and I can't imagine getting let in with only 2 C's. I was thinking of applying for a course with a foundation year in clearing but if that doesn't work i'll have to do an access course which I am extremely motivated to do well on. Sorry for the convoluted post but I thought some context might help.

Basically I wanted to ask a few questions about the course and applying for uni. Any general advice would be very much appreciated too.

- having done A-levels only 2 years ago and being only 19, will universities be less likely to offer me a place?
- I've read that you have to post ALL certificated qualifications which for me includes 2 U's at AS; how will this impact my chances of getting on a course?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Oni96

- having done A-levels only 2 years ago and being only 19, will universities be less likely to offer me a place?
- I've read that you have to post ALL certificated qualifications which for me includes 2 U's at AS; how will this impact my chances of getting on a course?

They won't care. They just wanna fill their courses up.
Reply 2
Original post by Oni96
Hi guys bare with me, this is going to be long. I am 19 years old and have applied to do a Social Sciences access course starting in September.

2 years ago I finished my A levels and came out with 2 C's in Biology and Psychology and a B in AS business studies. When I took my A levels I was pretty much just jumping on the bandwagon with no idea what I wanted to do and so the motivation wasn't there to try as hard as possible; I didn't even consider university when the time came to apply. After failing 2 subjects in the first year I was given the option to either retake the year or carry on with Biology, Psychology, and General studies at A2 plus Business studies at AS. I chose the latter option after some bad advice from tutors.
After I got my results I didn't think that university was even worth considering and I had no idea what I would have picked anyway.

The next year I spent being a NEET. In September last year I enrolled at my local college to do a course in auto repair. Having got some experience at a garage I decided it wasn't for me and switched to a carpentry course. Although the course isn't too bad I really can't see myself in the construction industry or any physically laborious job; it doesn't help that the people are not at all like minded. I can only take so much banter.

(this deeply interests me and I study it in my spare time) but my grades are dire and I can't imagine getting let in with only 2 C's. I was thinking of applying for a course with a foundation year in clearing but if that doesn't work i'll have to do an access course which I am extremely motivated to do well on. Sorry for the convoluted post but I thought some context might help.

Basically I wanted to ask a few questions about the course and applying for uni. Any general advice would be very much appreciated too.

Not at all! I think you're in a stronger position than most of the people that you'll find on the Access course as the majority of them will have only studied to GCSE level.

I completed my Access course recently, and I received 5/5 offers for Pharmacy. Like you, I also had mediocre A Levels except I did mine four years ago. You'll be fine, mate. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by m_james
Not at all! I think you're in a stronger position than most of the people that you'll find on the Access course as the majority of them will have only studied to GCSE level.

I completed my Access course recently, and I received 5/5 offers for Pharmacy. Like you, I also had mediocre A Levels except I did mine four years ago. You'll be fine, mate. :smile:

What grades did you achieve?
Original post by m_james

Where were your 5 offers from and what did you get on your Access course?
Original post by m_james
I achieved straight Distinctions throughout (I did Access to Science), but my UCAS application was sent off quite early in the year and so most of the universities that I applied to had no idea of what grades I had achieved so far when they made me an offer. :smile:

I received offers from Bath, Durham, Keele, Lincoln and Reading.

Wow well done James! Good job! I'm starting mine this September, any advice?
Original post by Oni96

Generally Universities aren't fond of applicants taking an access course after failing to do well in a levels, so if you were applying to medicine or engineering my advice might be different. However, I don't think philosophy is the most competitive course, right? So I think you'd be fine!
Original post by m_james

what are your gcses like?

also, have you checked out this thread?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3930485&page=6&highlight=pharmacy&p=63483315#post63483315
Reply 8
Original post by m_james
I achieved straight Distinctions throughout (I did Access to Science), but my UCAS application was sent off quite early in the year and so most of the universities that I applied to had no idea of what grades I had achieved so far when they made me an offer. :smile:

How did you find the course in terms of difficulty? I've read for the most part that they are very challenging which Is to be expected I suppose.
Original post by Oni96
How did you find the course in terms of difficulty? I've read for the most part that they are very challenging which Is to be expected I suppose.

a levels in 1 year will always be intense, but people manage it on top of children and work so if you don't half ass it you should be fine.
Reply 10
Original post by m_james

When did you start making your application?
Reply 11
Original post by KyleH123
Wow well done James! Good job! I'm starting mine this September, any advice?
Are you planning to study the Science route? I'd say make sure that you understand and know how to reference (Harvard Referencing) before starting the course, as we were basically thrown in the deep end and many who were only educated up to GCSE level struggled with this on their first assignments. Always attend lectures, and ask your tutors if you can submit a draft of your assignment before you hand in the completed assignment. They won't tell you what level your draft is at in terms of Pass/Merit/Distinction, but they will definitely tell you what you need to add and what you could elaborate on - it's definitely useful and I did this for the majority of my assignments. I'd just say keep up to date on work, try not to leave assignments to the very last night (I did this once and I'll never do it again!), and invest in some CGP AS/A2 revision books for each of the science subjects that you're doing e.g my course was made up of Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics units.My GCSE's are quite strong, but I don't think they are as important to us. For example, the 'top' universities that I applied to only asked for C grades at GCSE level in Maths and English, and nothing else. It really depends on the university that you're applying to but you should be safe for most courses as long as you have B's in Maths and English.As for the thread - I've definitely read into the 'future' for Pharmacy and MPharm graduates. I'm not too worried right now as they have said this for years, and the same goes for Medicine. Plus, there's always opportunities to work abroad. Luckily for me, I have family who are Pharmacists so maybe that's why I'm not too worried.... a little bit of nepotism? Haha. :smile:
Original post by Oni96
I honestly didn't find my course overly difficult, and I worked 25+ hours alongside my studies. As long as you have an interest in what you're studying then you should fine. I found all of the Biology and Chemistry units on my course relatively straightforward, but struggled with the Maths units as it has never been a strong subject of mine. If my tutor didn't give me the extra help that she did give me, I don't think that I would've achieved D's on those units.I sent off my application quite early (October) as I worked on my Personal Statement to the point that it was near perfect before I started the Access course. :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by m_james
Are you planning to study the Science route? I'd say make sure that you understand and know how to reference (Harvard Referencing) before starting the course, as we were basically thrown in the deep end and many who were only educated up to GCSE level struggled with this on their first assignments. Always attend lectures, and ask your tutors if you can submit a draft of your assignment before you hand in the completed assignment. They won't tell you what level your draft is at in terms of Pass/Merit/Distinction, but they will definitely tell you what you need to add and what you could elaborate on - it's definitely useful and I did this for the majority of my assignments. I'd just say keep up to date on work, try not to leave assignments to the very last night (I did this once and I'll never do it again!), and invest in some CGP AS/A2 revision books for each of the science subjects that you're doing e.g my course was made up of Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics units.My GCSE's are quite strong, but I don't think they are as important to us. For example, the 'top' universities that I applied to only asked for C grades at GCSE level in Maths and English, and nothing else. It really depends on the university that you're applying to but you should be safe for most courses as long as you have B's in Maths and English.As for the thread - I've definitely read into the 'future' for Pharmacy and MPharm graduates. I'm not too worried right now as they have said this for years, and the same goes for Medicine. Plus, there's always opportunities to work abroad. Luckily for me, I have family who are Pharmacists so maybe that's why I'm not too worried.... a little bit of nepotism? Haha. :smile:I honestly didn't find my course overly difficult, and I worked 25+ hours alongside my studies. As long as you have an interest in what you're studying then you should fine. I found all of the Biology and Chemistry units on my course relatively straightforward, but struggled with the Maths units as it has never been a strong subject of mine. If my tutor didn't give me the extra help that she did give me, I don't think that I would've achieved D's on those units.I sent off my application quite early (October) as I worked on my Personal Statement to the point that it was near perfect before I started the Access course. :smile:

That's some inspiring **** man, thanks.
Reply 13
Original post by Oni96
That's some inspiring **** man, thanks.

Haha no problem, mate. :colondollar:

Best of luck on the Access course!
Reply 14
Original post by m_james
Haha no problem, mate. :colondollar:

Best of luck on the Access course!

Do you think hard work is all it takes?
Reply 15
Original post by Oni96
Do you think hard work is all it takes?

Yeah, you'll be fine as long as you're determined.

Make sure you look up entry requirements for the course that you want to study in advance as they vary from university to university. For example, one of my uni choices wanted 15 Distinctions and 30 Merits while another asked for 36 Distinctions and 9 Merits, and that's for the same course. :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by m_james
I worked on my Personal Statement to the point that it was near perfect before I started the Access course. :smile:

Have you got any advice on how to write a good personal statement?
Original post by Oni96
Have you got any advice on how to write a good personal statement?

this is what he told me

The structure of my Personal Statement was something like this in paragraphs: P1 - Introducing Pharmacy, P2 - Work experience in community and hospital environments, P3 - My Access course, and the subjects that I'm studying and how they relate to Pharmacy, P4 - Interests and hobbies, P5 - Closing paragraph, mainly talked about how I felt much more motivated and determined to succeed at third level education as a mature student. Hope that helps.
This site is good for Harvard Referencing.

https://www.citethisforme.com/

Quick Reply

Latest