The Student Room Group

FP2 polar co-ords understanding question

June 2013 Q8, here is the paper; http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2013/Exam%20materials/6668_01_que_20130621.pdf page 24 of the pdf

and my working;

june2013.jpg

what is the significance of the sinθ=0 \displaystyle \sin\theta = 0 and sinθ=23 \displaystyle \sin\theta = -\sqrt\frac{2}{3} ?

do they tell you anything about the plot or do you just neglect them by realising the angle required is roughly equal to π4 \displaystyle \frac{\pi}{4}

(kind of like how in mechanics projectiles when using s=ut+12at2 \displaystyle s = ut + \frac{1}{2}at^2 to find t you sometimes get the minus t value which you usually ignore)
dont think it has any real significance in this case, other than that the curve also meets the half line at the origin
Original post by DylanJ42

do they tell you anything about the plot or do you just neglect them by realising the angle required is roughly equal to π4 \displaystyle \frac{\pi}{4}

Although it's not obvious from the diagram, sinθ=0\sin \theta = 0 gives a point where the tangent is parallel to the initial line, but it's actually the origin. We discard it as the requirement is P is distinct from O.

The other value of theta will also give rise to a line parallel to the initial line, but it's outside the domain of the definition of C, so we can again discard it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by drandy76
dont think it has any real significance in this case, other than that the curve also meets the half line at the origin

PRSOM

Original post by ghostwalker
Although it's not obvious from the diagram, sinθ=0\sin \theta = 0 gives a point where the tangent is parallel to the initial line, but it's actually the origin. We discard it as the requirement is P is distinct from O.

The other value of theta will also give rise to a line parallel to the initial line, but it's outside the domain of the definition of C, so we can again discard it.

i've never realised that the tangent was parallel to initial line at the origin ever, i always thought it was a mysterious recurring solution which we ignored "just because" and i never understood why :laugh:, but this all makes complete sense now

thank you both :biggrin:
Reply 4
If r0 r \rightarrow 0 as θa \theta \rightarrow a then θ=a \theta = a is a tangent to the curve.
Reply 5
Original post by B_9710
If r0 r \rightarrow 0 as θa \theta \rightarrow a then θ=a \theta = a is a tangent to the curve.

is this what is happening at the origin?

if i was to zoom in really close...

fpr.jpg

would θ=π2 \displaystyle \theta = \frac{\pi}{2} be a solution to dxdθ \displaystyle \frac{dx}{d\theta} with that same reasoning
(edited 8 years ago)
is this what is happening at the origin?

if i was to zoom in really close...

fpr.jpg

would θ=π2 \displaystyle \theta = \frac{\pi}{2} be a solution to dxdθ \displaystyle \frac{dx}{d\theta} with that same reasoning

yeah, comes up a lot in OCR as a precursor to finding area bound by the curve, since the tangents at the origin can be taken as the limits
Reply 7
yeah, comes up a lot in OCR as a precursor to finding area bound by the curve, since the tangents at the origin can be taken as the limits

exactly yea you're right, i always know to take limits from 0 to pi/2, so i guess it follows that tangents exist at 0 and pi/2

Spoiler

exactly yea you're right, i always know to take limits from 0 to pi/2, so i guess it follows that tangents exist at 0 and pi/2

Spoiler

Dw about it just probs not covered in your syllabus, for instance I never know what's going on when people mention conics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Dw about it just probs not covered in your syllabus, for instance I never know what's going on when people mention conics
Posted from TSR Mobile

yea i guess, i know it now and that's the main thing :biggrin: thanks again :cute:
Reply 10

Posted from TSR Mobile

:zomg:

Quick Reply

Latest