The Student Room Group

Applying to Study Law 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1320
Has anyone still not heard back from Nottingham?
Original post by n_b
Has anyone still not heard back from Nottingham?

Me!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1322

If you don't mind me asking, what did you get at AS, and your predictions and LNAT?
Reply 1323
So frustrating this wait, surely it would just take a few seconds to send out the automated rejection email? Why keep us waiting
Any international students here
Original post by andieseetie

Canada
Original post by n_b
If you don't mind me asking, what did you get at AS, and your predictions and LNAT?

My AS are not great ABCC, my school never told us what we're predicted either... But I'm retaking exams from the B and the C to bring it up. LNAT was just 22 so I'm pretty much expecting a rejection by now :frown: you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by andieseetie

India. How about you?
I'm currently in y11 at a good grammar school, and was hoping that someone would be able to see the chances of me getting into Oxbridge

Predicted GCSEs: 6 a*s, 6 a's, 2 bs

A-Levels: Maths, History, Economics, Politics

Course: Law or Law with American Law

Other: will do EPQ, 5+ weeks of law related work experience, manage local football team, 4 school sports teams, 2 other sports teams, bronze (will have gold) DofE, will attend Cambridge law conference, probably more which I've forgotten

Thanks for any help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have recently decided that law and french is the course i would like to do at university, however, I have some concerns as the subjects I am currently studying at AS are maths, further maths, french and economics - even with there being no particular subject requirements for the majority of universities I worry that I am at a disadvantage to other students studying subjects such as english, history...etc.
Some people have suggested that i may be of interest to universities because of this unusual combination of subjects and im interseted to know some more opinions!
If anyone has any suggestions on which subject i should drop after AS/ how i can improve my PS that would also be helpful :smile:
Reply 1330
Original post by Velvetgh0st
My AS are not great ABCC, my school never told us what we're predicted either... But I'm retaking exams from the B and the C to bring it up. LNAT was just 22 so I'm pretty much expecting a rejection by now :frown: you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right - I got AABB, predictions: A*AA and LNAT 22 - i'm guessing its the LNAT score tbh
Reply 1331
Original post by alice.ronalene
I have recently decided that law and french is the course i would like to do at university, however, I have some concerns as the subjects I am currently studying at AS are maths, further maths, french and economics - even with there being no particular subject requirements for the majority of universities I worry that I am at a disadvantage to other students studying subjects such as english, history...etc.
Some people have suggested that i may be of interest to universities because of this unusual combination of subjects and im interseted to know some more opinions!
If anyone has any suggestions on which subject i should drop after AS/ how i can improve my PS that would also be helpful :smile:

It really makes no difference what subjects you take and yes, you may be in fact be of interest to universities. I would drop whichever you find least interesting but economics probably has more relevance to a law degree compared to maths. In terms of personal statements makes sure you do some work experience (not necessarily in a law firm, although this may give you an insight into being a lawyer) even for a week and just take any opportunities that come your way - maybe a role of responsibility at school, outside clubs, volunteering etc.

If you do want to get into a top university, however, you will need to get good predictions that come with good AS grades so also think about what subjects you could get a better grade in, but don't base it solely on this.
Reply 1332
Their is no set formula for guaranteeing a place at any university, they judge and value each candidate on a number of different factors. Law is an incredibly diverse subject and so their really aren't any set a levels which will directly hinder/ improve your chances. Personally I think that universities are more bothered about your interest in the subjects and what intrigues you as opposed to masses of work experience (although it is definitely still worth getting some and referencing it). Each university and admissions team just differ on what they look for. My AS grades weren't particularly outstanding and I only have 1 day work experience in a law firm yet i got a reduced offer from Nottingham but was rejected from Manchester which is considerably lower in the tables. So don't worry if you're lacking in certain areas and don't be cocky if you're excelling because I've seen straight A* grade students be rejected; it all depends on the individual student and application!
Accepted an unconditional for Lancaster, anyone else going to Lancaster next year?
Reply 1334
Original post by justmemphis
I'm currently in y11 at a good grammar school, and was hoping that someone would be able to see the chances of me getting into Oxbridge

Predicted GCSEs: 6 a*s, 6 a's, 2 bs

A-Levels: Maths, History, Economics, Politics

Course: Law or Law with American Law

Other: will do EPQ, 5+ weeks of law related work experience, manage local football team, 4 school sports teams, 2 other sports teams, bronze (will have gold) DofE, will attend Cambridge law conference, probably more which I've forgotten

Thanks for any help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have got really good GCSEs - I had a lot of Oxbridge people come to our school and they do like it if you have 6 A*s minimum. When I spoke to an Oxbridge law student they said that getting over the LNAT average is always a plus. Of course Oxbridge do not place a lot of emphasis on extra curricular but definitely do lots of wider reading which will make your personal statement more interesting and the reading doesn't have to be solely based on law - a good place to start is the book 'What About Law' by Catherine Barnard ... and I found 'The Rule of Law' by Bingham quite interesting. Dworkin has written some good philosophical stuff. I'd recommend just reading anything that is of interest to you!
Original post by n_b
You have got really good GCSEs - I had a lot of Oxbridge people come to our school and they do like it if you have 6 A*s minimum. When I spoke to an Oxbridge law student they said that getting over the LNAT average is always a plus. Of course Oxbridge do not place a lot of emphasis on extra curricular but definitely do lots of wider reading which will make your personal statement more interesting and the reading doesn't have to be solely based on law - a good place to start is the book 'What About Law' by Catherine Barnard ... and I found 'The Rule of Law' by Bingham quite interesting. Dworkin has written some good philosophical stuff. I'd recommend just reading anything that is of interest to you!

Thank you very much- are there any other law related books which you would recommend?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1336
Original post by justmemphis
Thank you very much- are there any other law related books which you would recommend?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe in terms of literature, Bleak House by Dickens would be good - always wanted to read it myself, if you haven't already read To Kill a Mocking Bird - this is a definite must even just for fun. Apart from this, just researching anything about the law is great - I did some research on the more philosophical side of law - Hart vs Fuller debate is interesting. I wouldn't worry about reading so many books because it might be quite overwhelming but pick out things that interest you - go to a few lectures - there are lots of podcasts online, visit the public gallery if that interests you, read a few cases - perhaps subscribe to the UKSC blog (just outcomes of cases), definitely keep up to date with current affairs. For me, I do like the history aspect of the law and I've just completed an EPQ on the origins of the law.

Just read anything that interests you! Also don't overwhelm yourself with too many extra curricular activities during Year 12 and 13 and do focus on your exams too - while it is definitely true that all universities do look at your overall application and take everything into account , having good grades helps!
Original post by Llew_Ch97
Accepted an unconditional for Lancaster, anyone else going to Lancaster next year?

Yes! Me too!
Which shall I firm: Politics Philosophy & Law (LLB) at King's College London or Law (LLB) at Warwick?
Reply 1339
Is anyone here going to be studying Law with Politics at Manchester?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending