The Student Room Group

Can you change your degree after the first year?

Long story short, I want to study radiography, I now can't move away because of personal/family reasons and I didn't get accepted for radiography at my local uni instead they offered me human biology. I was wondering if after the first year am I able to change to radiography, if so how do I go about this?
Original post by daniellee0
Long story short, I want to study radiography, I now can't move away because of personal/family reasons and I didn't get accepted for radiography at my local uni instead they offered me human biology. I was wondering if after the first year am I able to change to radiography, if so how do I go about this?

Depends on the uni. Do you mean transfer into second year after completing your first year of human biology? Or do first year and then hopefully get a place on first year radiography?

You'll need to speak to your local university about this. course content varies a lot per university, if the courses aren't similar enough in first year you won't be able to transfer into second year. But if you just want to reapply and start radiology in first year you probably shouldn't start the human biology course at all, it's a waste of a student finance year and you may change your mind later and then not have the funding to change course.
I would not recommend starting a university course (that you don't want to do) with the intention of transferring. Some universities allow you to transfer, others are a little bit more mean. You will have to contact them. My advice would be to consider reapplying next year for radiography.
If the content differs significantly between courses, then they are unlikely to let you transfer. as said you need to ask your uni, buts its by no means a certainty. If you are intent on radiography id have a word with the people who rejected me, consider doing a foundation course or reapplying the following year after strengthening your application. Waste of £10-20k
Reply 4
Original post by SophieSmall
Depends on the uni. Do you mean transfer into second year after completing your first year of human biology? Or do first year and then hopefully get a place on first year radiography?

You'll need to speak to your local university about this. course content varies a lot per university, if the courses aren't similar enough in first year you won't be able to transfer into second year. But if you just want to reapply and start radiology in first year you probably shouldn't start the human biology course at all, it's a waste of a student finance year and you may change your mind later and then not have the funding to change course.

I mean transferring to first year of radiography. But if I didn't get in this year then I'm not likely to get a place next year and i'll have wasted a year just sat doing nothing.
Reply 5
Original post by Legendary Quest
I would not recommend starting a university course (that you don't want to do) with the intention of transferring. Some universities allow you to transfer, others are a little bit more mean. You will have to contact them. My advice would be to consider reapplying next year for radiography.

It's not that I don't want to do it, I enjoy the subject and I know i'd enjoy it when I start but my long term goal is to do radiography. However I was rejected this year so I can't see them accepting me next year..
I mean transferring to first year of radiography. But if I didn't get in this year then I'm not likely to get a place next year and i'll have wasted a year just sat doing nothing.

Why would you be any more likely to get a place in first year radiography after having done a completely different course for a year than getting onto it reapplying next year?

It doesn't make much sense, it's not a good plan and you will waste a year and thousands of pounds doing it unless the university tells you you will likely get a place that way.

You need to speak to that specific university. Every uni is different and we cannot tell you what will happen.
Original post by SophieSmall
Why would you be any more likely to get a place in first year radiography after having done a completely different course for a year than getting onto it reapplying next year?

It doesn't make much sense, it's not a good plan and you will waste a year and thousands of pounds doing it unless the university tells you you will likely get a place that way.

You need to speak to that specific university. Every uni is different and we cannot tell you what will happen.

I agree with this. It really is not wise to start a university course without the intention of completing it. Your best bet is to email the university. They aren't monsters, I promise. They usually reply quickly and are very nice :tongue: :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Legendary Quest
I agree with this. It really is not wise to start a university course without the intention of completing it. Your best bet is to email the university. They aren't monsters, I promise. They usually reply quickly and are very nice :tongue: :smile:

Would doing a foundation year be a better option?
Would doing a foundation year be a better option?

Only if it guarantees you onto the radiology course if you pass/ meet the minimum grade requirement.

No point doing the foundation course if radiology isn't one of the courses it leads to.

Why would they eb any more likely to give you a place? isnt it better just to do a foundation course as opposed to a degree and then ditching it? Think you have the wrong idea about transfers. talk to the people and find out why your application wasnt successful.
Talk to the university about the application they dinged earlier. There may be a very finite gap you need to fill. Once you find out what that is, you can address it.

If fabulous marks in biology will get you the nod, that's one thing. If a foundation course will get you there, that is another. If there is something in your record that would require hell freezing over for them to forgive, you may as well find out now.

Other options-- I have no idea about what radiographers do, but is there a postgraduate certificate or 1-year master's degree that will pipe you into the field after you've proved you can do good university work in some other discipline? That could be something to strive for, and it will give you a broader set of skills to think about using in the meantime.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending