The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Join MFP it has a fee appa as well look for it. you enter what you eat and it calculates the calories. You set a corie traget and just hit that every day. As that is at a deficit you will lose over time. some weeks you lose more than others. Eating less and portion control is the key. Giyness is for health and secondly for burning calories. to gove you an idea you might burn 300-500 calories at the gym for 1hr cont exercise, thats a mars bar and packet of crisps. Much easier not to eat them. Exercise for calories is hard work.

weighing is the best way to know how much food you are eating i.e how many calories. soemtimes you cna use packets but weighing is most accurate.

You have to estimate/ guess or take scales with you. Fit in your bag or pre weigh packed food.
Reply 41
Original post by SophieSmall
Honestly it's really simple.

If you are cooking something or putting together your own meal with ingredients and you don't know exactly how much of the food you are using weighing it is the best method of ensuring you know how many calories you are putting into your meal.

for example if you have a leg of lamb and you're cutting some off for a sandwich, you don't know exactly how many calories is in how much you cut off unless you weight it as it doesn't come in a packet saying how much is in each slice.

100g of lamb is going to have twice as many calories in it as 50g, so it's best to know exactly how much you have.

For everything else (store bought 1 portion things) it'll say the calorie contents on the packet.

I personally rarely used a scale when I was losing weight because I had a pretty good eye for how much I was putting into my food. But if you're someone who hasn't a clue it is best to weigh it.

okay i have got it i think haha

what app did you use to store all this info....what app would you recommend

also how many calories do you recommend you should be eating day not including exercise? How many should you aim for to lose weight.
Original post by xxvine
okay i have got it i think haha

what app did you use to store all this info....what app would you recommend

also how many calories do you recommend you should be eating day not including exercise? How many should you aim for to lose weight.

I used this website: www.myfitnesspal.com
they also have an app

completely depends on each individual. Ignore anyone who tells you to eat a certain amount of calories without knowing your stats (height, age, weight, gender, exercise level)

Use this to work out your tdee (total amount of calories your body uses to maintain weight a day)

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

and aim to eat around 500 calories less a day to lose approx 1lb per week (lb of fat contains approx 3500 calories, 3500/7 days = 500)
Also help massively if you eat the same meals every breakfast and lunch.
You know exactly how many calories are in it and you can just bulk prepare on Sunday evening for the entire week.

I've been having chicken soup and noodles for lunch for about 2 years straight. Never get bored of it. Just makes counting easier.
I lost 4 and a half stone last year by doing the following

1. Keeping my daily calories between 1,200 - 1,350
2. Excercising to work out dvds a few times a week nothing to excessive as it's a lower calorie diet that helps you lose weight the most
3. I didn't cut any food out, I had everything I wanted as long as it was in my calorie range, I had a subway once, a mcDonalds chicken burger another day, one time I had 2 chocolate bars in the same day. I just took the calories from my daily allowance of 1,200-1,350.
4. I lost between 2-3 pounds a week doing this
5. It took me about 5 or 6 months give or take
6. I bought alot of weight watchers ready made meals like spaghetti bolognaise, lasagne, chicken curry etc.. which made it easier for me to keep track of calories, as I didn't have to work them out.
7. I used sweetener in my tea, saves around 16 calories a teapoon, so if you have 3 sugars in your tea like me that saves 16 x 3 worth of cals - it all adds up.
8. I drank alot of diet drinks, like pepsi max and diet lemonade and low calorie hot chocolate if I craved something sweet.
It's a lifestyle everyone can do, it just takes dedication and commitment.

Minimum 3 x per week do physical exercise, with a mixture of resistance and cardio.

And eating a healthy diet. My motto I live by: If it's man made, don't eat.

I.e refined foods, white sugar, white bread, white rice.

Everyone reacts differently to methods. It takes time but you will soon discover what works for you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Calories in vs Calories out.

As long as you put in less than you expend, you will lose weight. Weigh your food, track your consumption, and exercise more.

There's no real secret to it.
Not eating carbs worked for me. Like any diet, it's not sustainable but like any diet it works well for a few months.

I don't believe small changes work. If you're fat, you will still be fat by cutting out snacks and walking up the stairs. You've got to make drastic changes if you want to see results.
Reply 48
I had this habit of running back and forth in my garden at night (at day, my neighbours give me funny looks) and I'm quite thin at the moment due to it. I haven't been doing it much recently as I ran into a washing line due to it being dark. RIP neck.
Reply 49
Original post by merryken
What is the brand for your kitchen scales

Salter do decent scales, just stick Salter kitchen scales into argos... done.
:2euk48l:

(edited 6 years ago)
SPINERS'
Reply 52
Counting calories is the best way for me. Massage helped as well, but I didn’t have much time for it. I found that high-quality creams, like Nivele, are effective for losing weight. I lost almost 3 pounds that way!