The Student Room Group

Why isn't street begging illegal?

Scroll to see replies

Ban begging but don't address the problem. Do nothing to prevent homelessness. Way to go, mate. :facepalm:
Reply 61
Original post by Blue_Mason
I have been taught to understand that not all humans can be helped.
You do not fix a problem by handing everyone a plausible solution.
You should volunteer or talk, but never give money.
As you're feeding drug habits, and that makes you a bad person in my eyes

You seem to be stereotyping homeless people as drug addicts. There are many reasons as to why someone may become homeless. And yes sometimes there will be homeless drug addicts which people may give money to but you can't go through life assuming everyone of a certain criteria is there because of their own fault or that there aren't many others who will spend the money given to them on food, healthcare or a hostel for the night. Sometimes I am skeptical after I give money to homeless people. And I sometimes worry that they may spend it on something illegal but essentially if they are addicted to drugs or alcohol then they will get it one way or another anyway and that doesn't make me a bad person for trying to help someone. I try to give them food instead of money when I can.
How can you starve?we have jobseekers for a reason.
I mean we have cheap supermarkets like aldi and tescos

Lots of people on the streets are people with problems, addictions, suffering family breakdowns, menatl helath issues and abuse.

Lots of people who were on jsa get sanctuined and thus they dont have any money. there seems to be a lot you dont understand about the homeless.

not sure how locking them up and giving them a criminal record helps anyone.

I mean all you do is sign a paper, and you get paid.

Diesnt give you a home though. several more steps for that. You seem remarkably ill informed aboyt how the benefits system works.
I find that to be interesting, but maybe it is because you have grown to know those homeless folk and security must be top notch.
I think people who want to help themselves should only get help.
Nope it was the professor Green one, I will watch the one you're talking about.

Sometimes people want to help themselves but they don't know how. A lot of homeless have deep rooted mental problems that can't be fixed overnight. Who are we to judge who "deserves" help and who doesn't? We are all humans. No one is beyond redemption.
Original post by Legendary Quest
Ban begging but don't address the problem. Do nothing to prevent homelessness. Way to go, mate. :facepalm:

Well the begging culture needs to be tackled.
Well the begging culture needs to be tackled.

The begging culture wouldn't be as big of a deal if so many people didn't feel the need to beg. Again, address the root cause of the problem and then we can talk about the effects.
Original post by 999tigger
Lots of people on the streets are people with problems, addictions, suffering family breakdowns, menatl helath issues and abuse.

Lots of people who were on jsa get sanctuined and thus they dont have any money. there seems to be a lot you dont understand about the homeless.

not sure how locking them up and giving them a criminal record helps anyone.

Well how hard is it to turn up every two weeks and provide evidence of Job searching?
The sanction system weeds about those who do not want a job.
Street begging is a crime, earning a living off of street begging is a crime, having an income and not telling hmrc is a crime.
Reply 68
Reading through this thread is scary.
Where's the basic human compassion?
Original post by Alice__90
Sometimes people want to help themselves but they don't know how. A lot of homeless have deep rooted mental problems that can't be fixed overnight. Who are we to judge who "deserves" help and who doesn't? We are all humans. No one is beyond redemption.

Because some people cannot be helped or cured.
It takes years to repair mental issues.
Original post by Legendary Quest
The begging culture wouldn't be as big of a deal if so many people didn't feel the need to beg. Again, address the root cause of the problem and then we can talk about the effects.

addiction and criminal activity are the main culprits.
I mean we have foodbanks and soup kitchens.
Original post by 999tigger
Diesnt give you a home though. several more steps for that. You seem remarkably ill informed aboyt how the benefits system works.

Good thing that I have google.
I mean it is not complicated
Reply 72
Good thing that I have google.
I mean it is not complicated

Well if you were better informed then you'd know that it takes more than just someone 'signing a form' to qualify for benefits.
Original post by Mazzy95
Well if you were better informed then you'd know that it takes more than just someone 'signing a form' to qualify for benefits.

I could easily fill out an application online.

I mean you just go to a job centre and tell them your situation and they will put you on the system.
Every poor person is entitled to a benefit
Reply 74

I mean you just go to a job centre and tell them your situation and they will put you on the system.

Well you have to qualify regarding lots of factors which a lot of people don't qualify for - yes people sometimes lie to try and make the process quicker but if you get caught out you get in a lot of trouble. I don't know about jobseekers but with ESA the forms take HOURS to fill out (not a quick signing of a name) and if you get even one detail wrong they discount it and you have to start all over again, delaying the process even further.
addiction and criminal activity are the main culprits.
I mean we have foodbanks and soup kitchens.

What is the main thing that leads people towards addiction and criminal activity?
Is it fine that so many people are already relying on food banks and soup kitchens?
I mean people who beg should be fined and locked up for being a nuisance

I was under the impression it is illegal, but it is impractical to arrest beggars, unless they "beg aggressively".

What about these beggars in uniform? Ie redcross, oxfam and shelter. They even come to our door, on average once a week 'begging' for a small monthly donation, by direct debit? Which only pays the manager's salary anyway. I'd much rather give to some big issue seller on the street, any day of the week!!
I agree. They do not deserve any loans from me.
Blue Mason, do you think people beg by choice?

Original post by DonaldTrump 2016
I agree. They do not deserve any loans from me.

Well... no one can get a loan from Trump as his mortgage company spectacularly failed.

Quick Reply

Latest