The Student Room Group

It's a disgrace that anyone sleeps rough in the UK

Is it really that difficult for large spaces in UK cities to be converted into overnight accommodation with beds that are changed everyday? Would it really cost that much? They wouldn't even need to provide food or showers, just stop people from having to sleep on the concrete overnight.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The problem comes from importing people in quicker than we can build houses.
Start a fundraiser.
Reply 3
What you thinking like mini council estates full of bedrooms or a big refugee type tent with those foldable beds?
I competely agree, everyone has the right to shelter, food and respect, none of which are afforded to many people around the world :frown:
it's not, but the government don't care
Reply 6
Cant stand the groups of student whores that literally walk on top of them. I mean they're no better really are they; essentially alcoholic drug taking white collar sluts with a BSc to their name.

#Public Dawah
Reply 7
It doesn't make much sense to me, it's not like you have to build these people hotels, even very small beds in an area with a security guard or something would be perfectly suitable way of dealing with the problem. But nope, no profit to be made here, so nothing gets done. And for everyone on this thread who complains, how many of you will open your house to these people? How many of you will setup a community project to help it? And that's the problem isn't it really, it's a disgrace that these things happen yet no one can be bothered to do anything about it.
Reply 8
Not saying it's not a good idea, but if you think it's that simple then you're deluded.

And I can hear the many screams of complaints - from both sides of the argument - already:

"Why build it in this part of town?"
"Having that next door makes my house worth less, who's going to compensate me for it?"
"Why has the government provided junkies a place to deal and do drugs?"
"Why should I pay / have to pay for it?"
"Why is the government encouraging this kind of activity?"

"It's not big enough"
"It's not nice enough, give them showers, give them food, what about their human rights?"
"Only a small bed? That's not good enough"
"Give them classes to get back into work"

Etc etc
If they choose to sleep rough and made bad decision causing them to sleep rough its not. The bigger disgrace is Osborne cutting disabled benefits but increase foreign aid spending. He is literally taking money of of disabled British people to give to foreigners who will not appreciate it.
Reply 10
Original post by Lady Comstock
Is it really that difficult for large spaces in UK cities to be converted into overnight accommodation with beds that are changed everyday? Would it really cost that much? They wouldn't even need to provide food or showers, just stop people from having to sleep on the concrete overnight.

Places like this already exist. Problem is, a lot of homeless people don't want to use them. They feel it's safer to be sleeping out on the streets, because they're less at risk of being robbed or assaulted. It is very tricky to offer a safe place for everyone, because there are always people willing to abuse it in order to harm others.
Original post by whorace
It doesn't make much sense to me, it's not like you have to build these people hotels, even very small beds in an area with a security guard or something would be perfectly suitable way of dealing with the problem. But nope, no profit to be made here, so nothing gets done. And for everyone on this thread who complains, how many of you will open your house to these people? How many of you will setup a community project to help it? And that's the problem isn't it really, it's a disgrace that these things happen yet no one can be bothered to do anything about it.

maxresdefault.jpg
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lady Comstock

You've stumbled across a key point. Homelessness in our society isn't a necessity. It's a political choice. Forget even having to convert spaces - there are significantly more empty homes in Britain than homeless families. The problem is that we've decided housing is not a right but instead an investment for private economic gain. We've sold off our social housing to the private sector, demonised the poor and allowed housing across much of the country to be unaffordable to the vast majority of the population. We could end homelessness tomorrow. But then we'd have to allow the poor to live without fear of total destitution which we use to force them into working in unacceptable conditions, cut into the profits of private landlords and admit that the free market can't solve everything. And that isn't a political choice the Conservative government is willing to make.
-ers.
It's murderers.
Part of the problem down where I live, is that they just build student housing. They don't build housing for everyone else.
Reply 15
Original post by joecphillips
The problem comes from importing people in quicker than we can build houses.

Erm, I don't see that many homeless immigrants where I live, not sure what you mean by this comment...
Reply 16
Original post by Tiger Rag
Part of the problem down where I live, is that they just build student housing. They don't build housing for everyone else.

I'm sure these are private investors though? If you had money and wanted to make money you'd build for people that will pay i.e students. What OP is saying would have to be done by some kind of government initiative
No, it's a disgrace that so many people own so much property each designed for the sole purpose of taking money off of other people. But that is capitalism for you, get used to it because it'll never die.
Reply 18
Original post by dmz
Erm, I don't see that many homeless immigrants where I live, not sure what you mean by this comment...

I'm not saying that it is homeless immigrants but if we let them in faster than we can build homes that means that there is not enough homes to go around and people will end up homeless it is common sense, if I have 5 cookies but there are 6 children someone will miss out.
Reply 19
Original post by joecphillips
I'm not saying that it is homeless immigrants but if we let them in faster than we can build homes that means that there is not enough homes to go around and people will end up homeless it is common sense, if I have 5 cookies but there are 6 children someone will miss out.

I have limited knowledge on the matter but people are not homeless because there's a lack of housing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending