The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Not surprised... CIE.
Original post by GeologyMaths
??

What? :-)
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Finally started hitting 87, 88% averages in C4 in my 1st+2nd paper now. :tongue:

Still plenty of time to grow just need more practice with drawing diagrams for vectors
and so many past papers to do left to do. :smile:

I honestly don't know where I would be if I didn't come across Madasmaths website = key to success :heart:

Just looking forward to the summer so I can finish self teaching FP1-2 + more mechanics.

How has the website helped? Are the papers on it helpful? I was thinking about doing them after finishing the past papers and solomon papers. I'd love to improve my own percentage, can't seem to get past the 85 to 90% barrier, though admittedly, it's mostly because of my idiotic mistakes
Original post by Dohaeris
How has the website helped? Are the papers on it helpful? I was thinking about doing them after finishing the past papers and solomon papers. I'd love to improve my own percentage, can't seem to get past the 85 to 90% barrier, though admittedly, it's mostly because of my idiotic mistakes

FWIW, I used nothing other than standard C4 papers, i.e: no solomon or madasmaths and it worked fine - by no means think it's necessary to do well.
Original post by Zacken
Not surprised... CIE.

CIE has some lovely questions - I really like their P3, S2 and M2. Their FM paper is nice, but the applied is unapproachable because I can't do Edexcel M4, M5 and S4.
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
CIE has some lovely questions - I really like their P3, S2 and M2. Their FM paper is nice, but the applied is unapproachable because I can't do Edexcel M4, M5 and S4.

Agreed, it's such a big-up in difficulty compared to the normal boards. :eek:
Reply 686
Madas Maths papers
Edexcel papers (IAL and R)
Solomon papers
Solomon worksheets
Crash Maths papers
Elmwood papers
OCR and AQA papers
Questions from textbooks

I am doing C1-4 and S1-2 in the UK this summer. I really need to get an A* and I would like to know if there's anything else I could add to my list above so I would of covered everything. Please let me know if there are any more resources
Reply 687
Where do Edexcel seem to get there questions from for Maths ?
Original post by Zacken
FWIW, I used nothing other than standard C4 papers, i.e: no solomon or madasmaths and it worked fine - by no means think it's necessary to do well.

Really? Did you not run out? There's still three months left for my exam, and I do a paper every few days, so I'll run out of them quite quickly.

How did you do in your exam, btw? And were the past papers good prep? Did you find any past papers difficult compared to your own exam?
Original post by aymanzayedmannan

Have you done any CIE A-levels, out of interest? My school has an odd system where they do Edexcel Maths, but then CIE for every other subject :/ I suppose the CIE maths is considered too difficult

I haven't started madasmaths papers yet, what my approach that made a
difference was I did majority of the questions on the website and looked through the worked solutions and understood how to do a wide range of questions. Now I went back to Edexcel to officially start doing past papers every type of integration question etc has already been covered since there are so many more challenging questions on madasmaths.

I just started C4 papers day before yesterday (87%/88%) still got the rest of Edexcel C4 papers + Edexcel IAL C3/4 papers & then 2 weeks before my exam I'll knuckle down on Madasmaths papers since they are more harder.

Its just about seeing+practicing every single type of question they could possibly ask. Its just vectors which are a bit of a pain. I share the feels broski, I still tend to make them aswell though its better we make them now than in the real exam.
Really? Did you not run out? There's still three months left for my exam, and I do a paper every few days, so I'll run out of them quite quickly.

Not quite, I did most papers from June 2009 till June 2015 for each of my modules - that worked out fine but I did end up having to cram three papers in in the morning before my exam because I got complacent.

How did you do in your exam, btw? And were the past papers good prep? Did you find any past papers difficult compared to your own exam?

I didn't do too badly, I've listed them out here. Past papers were fine as prep - the majority of my exams seemed standard, nothing was really difficult from an objective point of view.
Original post by Zacken

You forgot to mention that you also do FM + STEP so have seen far more challenging questions that C4 is obviously a breeze in the park. :lol

Either way, more papers/resources used = better practice = better performance in the exam = less stress.
You forgot to mention that you also do FM + STEP so have seen far more challenging questions that C4 is obviously a breeze in the park. :lol

Either way, more papers/resources used = better practice = better performance in the exam = less stress.

Yes, that's a fairly big caveat. :lol:
Reply 694
What are STEP papers ? Are there C1-4 STEP papers ?

Its just about seeing+practicing every single type of question they could possibly ask.

This is a risky approach. Yes it is helpful to practice questions but make sure that you fundamentally understand what you are doing rather than just going 'oh it's that question so I need to do this because that's what the mark scheme did last time' or you risk being caught out in the exam.
Original post by Danllo
What are STEP papers ? Are there C1-4 STEP papers ?

Forget it.
Original post by Zacken
Not quite, I did most papers from June 2009 till June 2015 for each of my modules - that worked out fine but I did end up having to cram three papers in in the morning before my exam because I got complacent.

I didn't do too badly, I've listed them out here. Past papers were fine as prep - the majority of my exams seemed standard, nothing was really difficult from an objective point of view.

Wow, you did a crapload of modules. That's crazy, did you do them all in one sitting? Great scores on them too, well done!!

Mind if I ask your advice for S1? I did M1 last year, was really easy for me, then I come to this S1 shite that I seem to be unable to stop bungling up.
Wow, you did a crapload of modules. That's crazy, did you do them all in one sitting? Great scores on them too, well done!!

Mind if I ask your advice for S1? I did M1 last year, was really easy for me, then I come to this S1 shite that I seem to be unable to stop bungling up.

Yeah, decided to get as much done in one sitting as I could, thanks.

Sure - you mainly need to keep your cool, get used to dealing with crappy numbers; there's not much more specific advice I can give unless you specify some of the problems you're having? :-)
Original post by Danllo
Madas Maths papers
Edexcel papers (IAL and R); meh
Solomon papers
Solomon worksheets
Crash Maths papers
Elmwood papers
OCR and AQA papers
Questions from textbooks (if you have already worked though them once don't bother re-doing them)

I am doing C1-4 and S1-2 in the UK this summer. I really need to get an A* and I would like to know if there's anything else I could add to my list above so I would of covered everything. Please let me know if there are any more resources

do UK past papers + exam solutions for topics you find hard and then Madas Maths papers/international if you have time

do you realise how long it would take to do all those things you listed?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending