The Student Room Group

I'm more than just a number - Story of a french med student who failed and raised up

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Josb
The housing problem can be explained by the massive speculation from foreign investors, as well as a bit of money laundering and tax avoidance. It struck me last year when some flats in a big building were auctioned in London; they said that many buyers were located in Greece (which was at the climax of their debt crisis...).

Leaving the EU would decrease the prices by 15% in London - I read it somewhere - but the prices could even lower if the government prevented people located abroad from buying housing units in the UK.

Hmm, interesting points that I hadn't previously heard of. :holmes: Do you think the potential decrease in house prices is a reason to stay in or leave the EU? (I'm pretty sure I know your answer, but just checking.)

There is also an architectural problem, as it seems that you don't build very high, so space is not rationally used.

The construction of high-rise buildings outside London is very tightly restricted, which somewhat hinders any real effort at building proper apartment blocks. Where it does happen, they usually build a single eyesore in the middle of a lot of little buildings -- there's a few pictures of this online, I believe.

:eek:

I've definitely told you this before on a thread about foods, where you incredulously asked me why I'd never had bacon, which I then explained in terms of my upbringing. :tongue:

Original post by FrenchUnicorn
What's wrong with it :cry2: you're just jealous because you can't do it :cry2: that's a unicorn thing :cool: :cry2: :lol:

There's nothing wrong with it -- I just think it's funny. xD But yeah, I am kinda jealous that I can't do it. :innocent:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman

There's nothing wrong with it -- I just think it's funny. xD But yeah, I am kinda jealous that I can't do it. :innocent:

Spoiler

I knew it :cool:
:lol:
Anglais , français , arabe ! Comme moi :biggrin: ! C'est bien de parler plusieurs langues \o/

Je t'en prie :biggrin:

Indeed :biggrin: are you North African?
Reply 183
Original post by Hydeman
Hmm, interesting points that I hadn't previously heard of. :holmes: Do you think the potential decrease in house prices is a reason to stay in or leave the EU? (I'm pretty sure I know your answer, but just checking.)

I've definitely told you this before on a thread about foods, where you incredulously asked me why I'd never had bacon, which I then explained in terms of my upbringing. :tongue:

It would indeed be a strong argument in favour of Brexit. I'm wondering why it is not more discussed.

You're Saudi or your parents were British expats?
Original post by childofthesun
Indeed :biggrin: are you North African?

I was born in Paris , my dad is french and my mum is algerian ^_^
Reply 185
Idk I never been there.

Even if I have never been there, the fact that they still behead, crucify or lash people, or simply prevent women from driving, make me think that it is not a nice place to live.
Original post by Josb
Even if I have never been there, the fact that they still behead, crucify or lash people, or simply prevent women from driving, make me think that it is not a nice place to live.

Yeah that's true , maybe a bit , I still can't judge because I did not experiment it , but you're right because I think I don't wanna try ^^
Original post by Josb
It would indeed be a strong argument in favour of Brexit. I'm wondering why it is not more discussed.

Because the Leave campaign is determined to make it all about immigration, I'd say. :emo:

You're Saudi or your parents were British expats?

My parents were British expats of South Asian origin (I mention this because they still stick strongly to the old culture). Thank goodness I'm not Saudi. :afraid:
Original post by Hydeman
Thank goodness I'm not Saudi. :afraid:

:lol: :lol:
I was born in Paris , my dad is french and my mum is algerian ^_^

That's a nice mix. One of my good friends is Algerian-Swedish. Algerian girls are so pretty
That's a nice mix. One of my good friends is Algerian-Swedish. Algerian girls are so pretty

Aw thank you :love: :love:
A friend of mine is lebanese too; she is soooo pretty *O* :heart:
Yeah that's true , maybe a bit , I still can't judge because I did not experiment it , but you're right because I think I don't wanna try ^^

Take my word for it: it's not the place to be if you value your freedoms. :tongue:

The only real attraction of the place is that you get to keep almost all of your wages (no great taxes, as far as I remember) and the cost of living is low relative to Britain (not sure about France; petrol, in particular, is dirt-cheap), and even those things are fast coming to an end now that the government is running into financial trouble -- they can no longer finance the country on petroleum exports alone, so now they're borrowing money and cutting subsidies for essentials.
(edited 8 years ago)

Aw thank you :love: :love:
A friend of mine is lebanese too; she is soooo pretty *O* :heart:

Yes, I think we can all agree that Lebanese girls are very pretty. :sexface:

Spoiler

Original post by Hydeman
Take my word for it: it's not the place to be if you value your freedoms. :tongue:

The only real attraction of the place is that you get to keep almost all of your wages (no great taxes, as far as I remember) and the cost of living is low relative to Britain (not sure about France; petrol, in particular, is dirt-cheap), and even those things are fast coming to an end now that the government is running into financial trouble -- they can no longer finance the country on petroleum exports alone, so now they're borrowing money and subsidies for essentials.

You did live there , then I believe ya ^_^

Living in France is expensive too yes, but my dad says living in UK is a but more expensive than living here

How did you survive then :lol: ?
Original post by Hydeman

Spoiler

For what ? That's the simple truth :love:
You did live there , then I believe ya ^_^

Living in France is expensive too yes, but my dad says living in UK is a but more expensive than living here

How did you survive then :lol: ?

I left when I was 13 and didn't notice a lot of things before then. :dontknow: I've realised a lot of things retrospectively, though. Like, some things that didn't make sense at the time clicked years later when I'd become more educated. :3
For what ? That's the simple truth :love:

For the :sexface:.

xD
Original post by Hydeman
I left when I was 13 and didn't notice a lot of things before then. :dontknow: I've realised a lot of things retrospectively, though. Like, some things that didn't make sense clicked years later when I'd become more educated. :3

Ah I see , I guess 13 is okay , you don't care much about life at this age :P
Original post by Hydeman
For the :sexface:.

xD

Aw I see :lol:
Original post by Hydeman

Spoiler

Hahahhah :lol: lebanese girls' egos are already big enough!

Quick Reply

Latest