The Student Room Group

What do women mean when they say they like ambitious/driven guys?

It seems to be a universal preference and from previous discussions they don't care what you are ambitious about as long as it is your passion and you are dedicated to it. So working on being a pilot or a surgeon would be the same as being a highly rated chess or WoW pvp player? All of these things are incredibly competitive and require huge amounts of ambition and dedication.

Scroll to see replies

I think that goes for men and women, it just means they don't want someone who isn't doing anything with their life
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Blondie987
I hunk hat goes for men and women, it just means they don't want someone who isn't doing anything with their life

I've rarely seen men use ambitious or driven when talking about what they look for in women, just check any of the old threads on here about it. With women it's like 90% of the time. What do you mean by doing something with your life? Doing what you love doing and being passionate about it, right? Whether it's chess or DOTA or being a pilot or a surgeon? People find happiness in an infinite number of ways..
Reply 3
I don't quite understand what it even means to be doing nothing with ones life, most jobs are routine (or a lot of them) and at the end of the day doing a job isn't going to make your life 100x more exciting unless you are doing something dangerous (like the army, oh you mean those guys just sit in camps most of the time?), senator (oh you mean the guys who just inside all the time), doctor (oh you mean the guys who go to the same hospital everyday) do you get where i'm going with this :lol:
Original post by Daquan
I've rarely seen men use ambitious or driven when talking about what they look for in women, just check any of the old threads on here about it. With women it's like 90% of the time. What do you mean by doing something with your life? Doing what you love doing and being passionate about it, right? Whether it's chess or DOTA or being a pilot or a surgeon? People find happiness in an infinite number of ways..

Imo ambition involves something you love and work hard at, it doesn't matter what that is and I'm sure I have seen men who say they also want ambitious women
Reply 5
Imo ambition involves something you love and work hard at, it doesn't matter what that is and I'm sure I have seen men who say they also want ambitious women

So that covers both the guy working hard to become a surgeon and the chess player, they are both passionate and ambitious... Who do you think will be more popular with women and why? You could make the same point for younger girls when comparing a guitar player in a band and a high rated wow arena guy.. Girls will fall for these guys at 50/50 rates?
Basically rich guys.
Original post by Daquan
So that covers both the guy working hard to become a surgeon and the chess player, they are both passionate and ambitious... Who do you think will be more popular with women and why? You could make the same point for younger girls when comparing a guitar player in a band and a high rated wow arena guy.. Girls will fall for these guys at 50/50 rates?

Yes of course, why wouldn't they be? I can't speak for all girls but I would honestly look at hem equally, I don't decide to date someone based on their profession, I can't speak for all women but it really doesn't matter to me. If it related to an interest of mine there might be a different but for me it's definitely not about a profession supposedly being more 'impressive'
Reply 8
Original post by Daquan

I'd prefer a girl who was a chess player tbh I know what you are insinuating here but that's just a personal preference
Reply 9
Yes of course, why wouldn't they be? I can't speak for all girls but I would honestly look at hem equally, I don't decide to date someone based on their profession, I can't speak for all women but it really doesn't matter to me. If it related to an interest of mine there might be a different but for me it's definitely not about a profession supposedly being more 'impressive'

So you'd be fine with a guy who makes enough money just to live on and dedicates the rest of his time to any activity that makes him happy and is passionate about? That's great! Why do you think most women get weak in the knees when they found out a guy is a surgeon or a pilot ? Why is every guy in every female fantasy (movies, books, shows etc etc )a doctor or a billionaire or a prince or a count or a fireman instead of an introverted chess player?
(edited 8 years ago)
Not out doing coke every weekend.
Original post by Daquan
So you'd be fine with a guy who makes enough money just to live on and dedicates the rest of his time to any activity that makes him happy and is passionate about? That's great! Why do you think most women get weak in the knees when they found out a guy is a surgeon or a pilot ?

As long as they could support themself, money does not matter in the slightest to me, why would it? Unless I were expecting them to support me, which I never would and I'd much rather the person I love be happy than making money in a job they don't enjoy. I guess the pilot thing would represent leadership and therefore confidence and surgeons save lives and show compassion which people like
Original post by whorace
I don't quite understand what it even means to be doing nothing with ones life, most jobs are routine (or a lot of them) and at the end of the day doing a job isn't going to make your life 100x more exciting unless you are doing something dangerous (like the army, oh you mean those guys just sit in camps most of the time?), senator (oh you mean the guys who just inside all the time), doctor (oh you mean the guys who go to the same hospital everyday) do you get where i'm going with this :lol:

ambition means having a good salary so the woman always knows that if she cba with her job one day she can pack it in and start acting sexy again, pestering the husband for babies. its about that sense of security that she can give up basically on her own career lol
Reply 13
As long as they could support themself, money does not matter in the slightest to me, why would it? Unless I were expecting them to support me, which I never would and I'd much rather the person I love be happy than making money in a job they don't enjoy. I guess the pilot thing would represent leadership and therefore confidence and surgeons save lives and show compassion which people like

Wait, are you straight?
Original post by Daquan
Wait, are you straight?

No, I was just putting myself in the hypothetical situation where I would be comparing two guys
Original post by Daquan
It seems to be a universal preference and from previous discussions they don't care what you are ambitious about as long as it is your passion and you are dedicated to it. So working on being a pilot or a surgeon would be the same as being a highly rated chess or WoW pvp player? All of these things are incredibly competitive and require huge amounts of ambition and dedication.

Yes bruv. There's nothing a girl finds sexier than a ranked 1 gladiator 2400 rating wow player! 😉
Reply 16
No, I was just putting myself in the hypothetical situation where I would be comparing two guys

Yea it doesn't work like that. Mistrial, jury dismissed.
Reply 17
Original post by Axlerod
Yes bruv. There's nothing a girl finds sexier than a ranked 1 gladiator 2400 rating wow player! 😉

Up there with navy pilot and heart surgeon. You can literally hear their eggs drop the moment you step into the room. :u:
Just someone who gives a **** and tries for me personally.
Original post by Daquan
Yea it doesn't work like that. Mistrial, jury dismissed.

?? By that logic you need to disregard every guy's input?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending