The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by XxKingSniprxX
I haven't started madasmaths papers yet, what my approach that made a
difference was I did majority of the questions on the website and looked through the worked solutions and understood how to do a wide range of questions. Now I went back to Edexcel to officially start doing past papers every type of integration question etc has already been covered since there are so many more challenging questions on madasmaths.

I just started C4 papers day before yesterday (87%/88%) still got the rest of Edexcel C4 papers + Edexcel IAL C3/4 papers & then 2 weeks before my exam I'll knuckle down on Madasmaths papers since they are more harder.

Its just about seeing+practicing every single type of question they could possibly ask. Its just vectors which are a bit of a pain. I share the feels broski, I still tend to make them aswell though its better we make them now than in the real exam.

The Exam Questions that are under the Project Maths tab? Is there any way to get only C4-topical questions?

I'll have to check them out anyways, go through a few of them every few days. Anything that'll help, lol :smile:
Reply 701
[QUOTE=Zacken;63483989]Forget it.

Why ? Am I wasting my time with them ?
Original post by Danllo
Why ? Am I wasting my time with them ?

http://mathsorchard.weebly.com/step-past-papers.html

left hand column and middle hand column for C3+C4 based stuff

Edit: im going to leave middle hand colomn in here just because of how dumb it sounds hahaha
Reply 703
Original post by DylanJ42
do UK past papers + exam solutions for topics you find hard and then Madas Maths papers/international if you have time

do you realise how long it would take to do all those things you listed?

I've gone through the majority of that list already
Original post by Zacken
Forget it.

Ahahhaha
Original post by Danllo
I've gone through the majority of that list already

jesus... :eek: well you should be at A* by now
Original post by Zacken
Yeah, decided to get as much done in one sitting as I could, thanks.

Sure - you mainly need to keep your cool, get used to dealing with crappy numbers; there's not much more specific advice I can give unless you specify some of the problems you're having? :-)

I definitely will the next time I sit down to do S1, not really in the mood for that right now :tongue: It has gotten better recently, so I'll do a couple more past papers, pinpointing where I'm weak, and try to find a suitable place to post my difficulties. Thanks!

One more quick thing: did you have any method to studying each module? Maybe doing a certain number of hours, or an amount of past papers, or something? I'm trying to juggle the sciences and math, and trying not to show favour is a pain
Reply 707
jesus... :eek: well you should be at A* by now

Hopefully but I'm not a natural mathematician. So I have to put in the hours.....
Original post by Dohaeris
I definitely will the next time I sit down to do S1, not really in the mood for that right now :tongue: It has gotten better recently, so I'll do a couple more past papers, pinpointing where I'm weak, and try to find a suitable place to post my difficulties. Thanks!

One more quick thing: did you have any method to studying each module? Maybe doing a certain number of hours, or an amount of past papers, or something? I'm trying to juggle the sciences and math, and trying not to show favour is a pain

There should be an S1 thread around here, I'll see if I can find you and tag you on it, otherwise - you can always post here, you can tag me if you'd like but there are plenty of other people keeping tabs on the thread.

Mostly: spam watch every examsolution video at 2x the speed, do two/three past papers then move on to a new module. 2 hours a day, every paper between June 2009 - June 2015. That's what worked for me, it might (and probably won't) work for you, so find something that you're comfortable with. I totally understand you re the sciences part; tbh I only started learning U3 Physics three or four days before the exam, I don't quite have a solution there given that the same problem applied to me, sorry. :tongue:
Original post by Danllo
Hopefully but I'm not a natural mathematician. So I have to put in the hours.....

but you have, doing most of that list is huge amounts of maths

most wouldnt do that much for the whole three modules at A2 id say :laugh:
but you have, doing most of that list is huge amounts of maths

most wouldnt do that much for the whole three modules at A2 id say :laugh:

Makes me feel ashamed of myself, to be honest. :laugh:
Original post by Zacken
There should be an S1 thread around here, I'll see if I can find you and tag you on it, otherwise - you can always post here, you can tag me if you'd like but there are plenty of other people keeping tabs on the thread.

Mostly: spam watch every examsolution video at 2x the speed, do two/three past papers then move on to a new module. 2 hours a day, every paper between June 2009 - June 2015. That's what worked for me, it might (and probably won't) work for you, so find something that you're comfortable with. I totally understand you re the sciences part; tbh I only started learning U3 Physics three or four days before the exam, I don't quite have a solution there given that the same problem applied to me, sorry. :tongue:

Great, thanks. And yeah, that seems a bit much, though no doubt it worked for the bloody crazy amount of modules you did. I'll definitely frequent examsolutions, he's great. Basically taught me everything in C1/C2/C3/C4/M1/S1 (don't have great teachers)
Original post by Zacken
Makes me feel ashamed of myself, to be honest. :laugh:

*wakes up at 6am on the morning of Core 3*

:yawn: "hmm 3 hours to the exam, better start revising for it"

:rofl:
*wakes up at 6am on the morning of Core 3*

:yawn: "hmm 3 hours to the exam, better start revising for it"

Pfft, like you need to revise for C3 :tongue:
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Pfft, like you need to revise for C3 :tongue:

*wakes up at 8:30am on the morning of Core 3*

:yawn: "hmm 30 minutes to the exam, better get up and go to it"

sorry, i fixed it :rofl:
sorry, i fixed it :rofl:

Nah you can have a lie in till 9, only really need 1 hour tops to finish and check a few times
Nah you can have a lie in till 9, only really need 1 hour tops to finish and check a few times

:rofl: i feel like such a dickhead saying this because people work their asses off for C3, and here we are slagging it...

Spoiler

:rofl: i feel like such a dickhead saying this because people work their asses off for C3, and here we are slagging it...

Spoiler

Well I mean in a sense I basically did work my ass off for C3 lol, just mostly indirectly by using the C3 techniques in FP questions..

Yeah sure 45/50 mins to finish, but then you gotta check a million times
I am rather slow and check a million times as I go, and then a million more at the end, so I took about an hour to finish C3 and C4 exams before rechecking. Only exam I finished in nice time was S2 on like 40 mins but that's S2 lol
Well I mean in a sense I basically did work my ass off for C3 lol, just mostly indirectly by using the C3 techniques in FP questions..

Yeah sure 45/50 mins to finish, but then you gotta check a million times
I am rather slow and check a million times as I go, and then a million more at the end, so I took about an hour to finish C3 and C4 exams before rechecking. Only exam I finished in nice time was S2 on like 40 mins but that's S2 lol

my general plan in exams is to rush through them then check over for mistakes, im too on edge at the start to take my time. so I practically redo each question at the end when im calm (although im not rewriting my solutions so my checking is much quicker my first run through if you get what i mean)

an hour is probably a nice time to aim for on the day because it does take a little while to settle in to it

S2 should be an hour id say, its too short of a paper to have an hour and a half for it
Original post by Zacken
Not quite, I did most papers from June 2009 till June 2015 for each of my modules - that worked out fine but I did end up having to cram three papers in in the morning before my exam because I got complacent.

I didn't do too badly, I've listed them out here. Past papers were fine as prep - the majority of my exams seemed standard, nothing was really difficult from an objective point of view.

How the hell did you do so good at Physics?

Quick Reply