The Student Room Group

No new school uniform

Scroll to see replies

I find it quite interesting the UK obsession with uniforms. They're unheard of in Europe. I took part in a German school exchange. The German School in Bodensee in an affluent area, allowed the pupils of all ages to wear exactly what they liked. It didn't stop them from being motivated and attentive in class. When my host student and her group came to our school they were highly amused with the uniformity of dress. I genuinely believe we put too much faith in uniforms as a means of increasing standards. Actually I think it's a lot of nonsense. And rather than focusing on forging a sense of identity, would it not be better to encourage individuality rather than every peg going into the same hole?
I have always worn a blazer tie and kilt to school. I'm used to it and to be honest I'd rather be wearing what I wear than be forced to wear some chavvy uniform which is just an extension of the chav uniform of shell/trackside bottoms and sweatshirt. I really wouldn't want to offend anyone but I wouldn't be seen dead wearing those kind of clothes other than in the gym or slouching in front of the telly.
I think what I've said is - a smart decent uniform or no uniform. No half way house
Reply 41
Well said and very true Dougall.
I did the German Exchange in my school as well and it was the same thing, they all found it quite funny. Until I went to physics after a "Scottish breakfast" with 10 mins to go and the teacher gave me, every other Scottish person on the exchange and all of our partners a test paper (we were meant to be doing a unit assessment that period). He didn't give a f*** that they were German and hadn't studied the course. Funny thing was that is turned that one of my friends' partner did better in that assessment than she did.
I couldn't deal with having to wear a kilt everyday, but then I'm not really Scottish I just live here.
Reply 42
A sweatshirt
Polo shirt
School trousers
And plain black footwear is formal enough
My teacher said that to many schools are uniform obsessed
Reply 43
Original post by Tomj200
A sweatshirt
Polo shirt
School trousers
And plain black footwear is formal enough
My teacher said that to many schools are uniform obsessed

I hate to sound judgemental but you are beginning to sound like you just like what your teacher tells you to like.
And there is still a difference between uniform obsession and having a higher standard.
Reply 44
Original post by PTS_99
I hate to sound judgemental but you are beginning to sound like you just like what your teacher tells you to like.
And there is still a difference between uniform obsession and having a higher standard.

I think my schools uniform is a good standard
Original post by Tomj200

Your schools uniform is of a very low standard.
Reply 46
Original post by Tomj200

In comparison to most other secondary schools in the UK, no it isn't. In comparison to most primary schools, yes, it matches exactly.
Reply 47
Original post by PTS_99
In comparison to most other secondary schools in the UK, no it isn't. In comparison to most primary schools, yes, it matches exactly.

Most in the uk I know more schools with polo shirts than suits
Reply 48
Original post by milliemogs
Your schools uniform is of a very low standard.

How is it it's formal
Original post by Tomj200
How is it it's formal

Formal in the sense that it's the 'formal' uniform for your school but really polo shirts and sweatshirts, even with a school logo, makes for a rather casual uniform compared to a shirt and tie set up.
Reply 50
Original post by DougallnDougall
Formal in the sense that it's the 'formal' uniform for your school but really polo shirts and sweatshirts, even with a school logo, makes for a rather casual uniform compared to a shirt and tie set up.

I think all schools should get uniform like my school suits are way over the top
Reply 51
Original post by Tomj200
How is it it's formal

Polos are nowhere near formal, if they weren't white or had your school badge on it you could wear it as your casual clothes, although I think I know what your style of casual clothing would be.
Reply 52
Original post by PTS_99
Polos are nowhere near formal, if they weren't white or had your school badge on it you could wear it as your casual clothes, although I think I know what your style of casual clothing would be.

What would that be ?
Reply 53
Original post by Tomj200
I think all schools should get uniform like my school suits are way over the top

And for the last time the rest of us do not wear full suits, it's a shirt and tie.
And we're arguing that your uniform standard is way too low.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by PTS_99
And for the last time the rest of us do not wear full suits, it's a shirt and tie.
And we're arguing that your uniform standard is way too low.

I don't get why would you look down on me for wearing my school polo shirt school jumper school trousers and black lace up plimsolls ?
Reply 55
I feel sorry for people that have to wear blazers to school my cousin has to she hates it
Original post by Tomj200
I feel sorry for people that have to wear blazers to school my cousin has to she hates it

Blazers are ok. Smart, quality fabric, lots of handy pockets and the issue of wearing school clothes socially - well it isn't an issue at all. I don't like plimsolls/trainers except for playing sports. I wouldn't wear them socially and neither do any of my friends. They're just not smart enough but I suppose it's down to personal preferences. I have cousins that didn't have school uniforms and have heard them talking about not really having any way of separating school from casual which was a problem where some kids had loads of clothes and others didn't so that they ended up wearing the same stuff to everything and then getting teased and made fun.
What's a lather(Lather?) shoe? If they're not comfortable then they could cause some injury but I don't think the school would care much.

The rest of it is silly, but isn't going to cause much damage outside of fights and hot days in the summer.

Schools do seem to be tending towards this.
Original post by super_kawaii
School is a formal place of learning, which requires more formal attire. Obviously I'm not talking black tie, but some essence of smartness is required at an institute of learning

Are you sure? It's mostly just secondary schools in the UK that insist on this. Primary schools and sixth forms in secondary schools very rarely do. Colleges and universities don't as far as I'm aware. Considering secondary school is the worst section in terms of education, I don't see how formal attire improves education.
Reply 59
Oh how I wish I had your uniform.

I have to wear a blazer, shirt, tie, jumper, kilt and thick black tights. All year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending