The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle Law applicants 2016

Hey, I've noticed there are lots of subject specific threads within the Newcastle University section, yet I couldn't find a Law specific thread, so here is the one!!!:smile:

Shoutout to all the aspiring law students at the Newcastle uni, let's see how many of us are here!
Reply 1
Original post by 0123456543210
Hey, I've noticed there are lots of subject specific threads within the Newcastle University section, yet I couldn't find a Law specific thread, so here is the one!!!:smile:

Shoutout to all the aspiring law students at the Newcastle uni, let's see how many of us are here!

Hi,

I applied for the Masters in law (by research) ! Still waiting to hear :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Original post by Durham_
Hi,

I applied for the Masters in law (by research) ! Still waiting to hear :smile:

Cool, is it subject specific (e.g. company law, international trade law etc.)?
The Newcastle thread seems to be dead for some reason, as I am sure that more than 2 people are going to study in the Newcastle's law dept in september.
Reply 3
Cool, is it subject specific (e.g. company law, international trade law etc.)?
The Newcastle thread seems to be dead for some reason, as I am sure that more than 2 people are going to study in the Newcastle's law dept in september.

Oh yes I agree! The masters by research is a focus on research methods and a couple of modules on the LLM programme. Your can focus will be whatever your thesis is going to be on. I am doing on arbitration in England and Wales so its quite interesting.

I am not sure about the number of postgraduates on the masters programme but I don't think there are of postgraduates, as LLM students tend to pick London universities

Are you starting your LLB?
Original post by Durham_
Oh yes I agree! The masters by research is a focus on research methods and a couple of modules on the LLM programme. Your can focus will be whatever your thesis is going to be on. I am doing on arbitration in England and Wales so its quite interesting.

I am not sure about the number of postgraduates on the masters programme but I don't think there are of postgraduates, as LLM students tend to pick London universities

Are you starting your LLB?

Yep, they have a pretty interesting modular structure i.e. public, contract and land law in the first year, this sounds awesome when considering that so many universities start with criminal law. Moreover, their law school has a very nice (yet extremely competitive) feel to it due to being a standalone faculty unlike many other unis where it is tied to social science and humanity faculties.
Reply 5
Yep, they have a pretty interesting modular structure i.e. public, contract and land law in the first year, this sounds awesome when considering that so many universities start with criminal law. Moreover, their law school has a very nice (yet extremely competitive) feel to it due to being a standalone faculty unlike many other unis where it is tied to social science and humanity faculties.

I think it is a good law school, a little bit in the shadow of Durham but still very good. Certainly the LLM programme offers more choice than the one at Durham and not to mention cheaper too.

With a good 2.1 or 1st from Newcastle you are set to a good career anywhere really!
Original post by Durham_
I think it is a good law school, a little bit in the shadow of Durham but still very good. Certainly the LLM programme offers more choice than the one at Durham and not to mention cheaper too.

With a good 2.1 or 1st from Newcastle you are set to a good career anywhere really!

Thanks, I actually want to stay in Newcastle and because Durham students tend to go for London firms and chambers, Newcastle seems to be dominant in the North East. I've even seen Northumbria grads in quite a lot of regional firms, that was a bit of a surprise:eek: since legal profession was supposed to be so 'elitist'.
Reply 7
Thanks, I actually want to stay in Newcastle and because Durham students tend to go for London firms and chambers, Newcastle seems to be dominant in the North East. I've even seen Northumbria grads in quite a lot of regional firms, that was a bit of a surprise:eek: since legal profession was supposed to be so 'elitist'.

It still is trust me. I qualified in 2011 and can tell you its worst now. Oxbridge is the norm and you would think Durham is a heavy hitter but not so much. I think Newcastle and Durham fair in the same way for London firms. It has become more elitist now because of the amount people around (including qualified lawyers from other countries) who want to get into the profession. Newcastle has a good standing in law firms generally and it is not uncommon to see Newcastle graduates in London firms.

I don't know much about Northumbria but I think it fairs relatively well with professional practical courses.
(edited 8 years ago)
I am set to do the LLB in september
Original post by Tom5pence
I am set to do the LLB in september

Cool, why NCL? Most of the people I know looked over it as they ask AAA despite not being perceived as good as Manchester, Birmingham etc that ask for the same grades.
Cool, why NCL? Most of the people I know looked over it as they ask AAA despite not being perceived as good as Manchester, Birmingham etc that ask for the same grades.

You are going into a really good school. Manchester, as I hear it, it seems to have a good reputation for law and research but the contact hours on the LLB are a complete joke.

Birmingham seems to be growing quite a lot and it has always been targeted for law but if you ask me I think all these law schools are in the same league, i.e., research wise very intensive but the differences will be on their LLB's

A strong law school in an amazing city. A small one, yet a suprising amount end up in MC firms. Regarded as one of the strongest in the UK, with a strong array of extra curricular activities and societies relating to Law. I would say Manchester is only marginally better yet birmingham there is no considerable difference. From my dad being a solicitor, I can say the uni you have graduated from is only a small part of the cv, with the main focus being on the graduate. so with the amount the university has to offer in the extracurricular field, as well as the strong degree it will put you with, its hard to see why you wouldnt
(edited 8 years ago)
I am thinking about studying law at Newcastle as well. I know that League tables are not all there is out there, but still Newcastle Uni seems to lack only in terms of research. Why is that? Is research even that important for a law student?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending