The Student Room Group

What proportion of students make it into FO?

Out of the six target universities, roughly what proportion of the students that apply for FO positions at investment banks get accepted into a summer internship? I know there are no real statistics for this, but roughly what are the statistical chances of getting an internship? I know it depends on the individual but I was just wondering what the general chances are.

Would it be more or less than 20%?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Trapz99
Out of the six target universities, roughly what proportion of the students that apply for FO positions at investment banks get accepted into a summer internship? I know there are no real statistics for this, but roughly what are the statistical chances of getting an internship? I know it depends on the individual but I was just wondering what the general chances are.

Would it be more or less than 20%?

Overall statistical chance is like 25-50:1 or about 2-4%.

As for how many break in, assuming a standard FO summer intake of 50-60 for the BBs. And maybe, 10-20 for the elite boutiques and then between 30-50 for the tier 2 firms.

I'd say about 1000 FO summer analysts are hired per year. Assuming that 40-45% of that intake is from Europe/other top global unis. You're left with 550-600 British uni FO summer analysts. Breaking this down with the standard 70-80% (lets use 75%) being from target unis, you have: 413-450. There are 6 targets, splitting it evenly it's roughly ~70-75 per year per target.

Now it's the tricky bit. Most finance societies at targets have 1-2k members and assuming, that 1/3 of them (based on the fact a degree is 3 years long) will be vying for an internship you arrive at ~330-660 applying. Giving a success rate of 12-20% or 5-8 applicants per place.

That's mostly back of the hand maths, hopefully someone else can confirm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Princepieman
Overall statistical chance is like 25-50:1 or about 2-4%.

As for how many break in, assuming a standard FO summer intake of 50-60 for the BBs. And maybe, 10-20 for the elite boutiques and then between 30-50 for the tier 2 firms.

I'd say about 1000 FO summer analysts are hired per year. Assuming that 40-45% of that intake is from Europe/other top global unis. You're left with 550-600 British uni FO summer analysts. Breaking this down with the standard 70-80% (lets use 75%) being from target unis, you have: 413-450. There are 6 targets, splitting it evenly it's roughly ~70-75 per year per target.

Now it's the tricky bit. Most finance societies at targets have 1-2k members and assuming, that 1/3 of them (based on the fact a degree is 3 years long) will be vying for an internship you arrive at ~330-660 applying. Giving a success rate of 12-20% or 5-8 applicants per place.

That's mostly back of the hand maths, hopefully someone else can confirm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow that's pretty good maths by the look of it, I didn't expect anyone to put this much effort into answering this question lol. Thanks!
Original post by Trapz99
Wow that's pretty good maths by the look of it, I didn't expect anyone to put this much effort into answering this question lol. Thanks!

No problem! I've been thinking about this question too actually, and it seems like the lower down the 'target' food chain you go the lesser the odds. Ultimately averaging out to 2-4% overall.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trapz99

There aren't six target universities, rubbish!
Original post by BarryBeTrippin
There aren't six target universities, rubbish!

Oh, so you're going to go against the 15 year plus trend of banks recruiting mostly from Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick, Imperial and UCL? Tell us more dude.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No problem! I've been thinking about this question too actually, and it seems like the lower down the 'target' food chain you go the lesser the odds. Ultimately averaging out to 2-4% overall.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does that take into account students doing multiple interships? i dont know how long they last, but if you are in demand you could do a number of them over the summer.
Oh, so you're going to go against the 15 year plus trend of banks recruiting mostly from Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick, Imperial and UCL? Tell us more dude.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cross out Warwick, then you're fine. Plus LSE data is skewed because of econ/econ joint honours courses. There are ABB courses at LSE.

So really only 4 targets.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 999tigger
Does that take into account students doing multiple interships? i dont know how long they last, but if you are in demand you could do a number of them over the summer.

I don't think the average student does multiple in one summer period (they last about 10-12 weeks) but certainly some exceptional candidates might fit in say, a summer internship and an off cycle internship. That might be more applicable to law where the vac schemes are 2-3 weeks in length.

Tbf, the rate is a a fair bit higher as I didn't really include cross offers and over offering.
Cross out Warwick, then you're fine. Plus LSE data is skewed because of econ/econ joint honours courses. There are ABB courses at LSE.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, I should cross off a major target that accounts for some of the highest numbers in FO across all banks. Definitely. Try again bud.
Yep, I should cross off a major target that accounts for some of the highest numbers in FO across all banks. Definitely. Try again bud.

Sorry to disappoint you mate Warwick sends less people in FO than Bath. Not a target. Semi target rather.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Sorry to disappoint you mate Warwick sends less people in FO than Bath. Not a target. Semi target rather.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol gr8 banter m8 I r8 8/8
Original post by Trapz99
Lol gr8 banter m8 I r8 8/8

Ok...all that salt isn't good for your health.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your trolling isn't very good bro. A cursory glance at any summer analyst class will show Warwick sitting very firmly at the top in terms of numbers. I don't need to waste time on this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your trolling isn't very good bro. A cursory glance at any summer analyst class will show Warwick sitting very firmly at the top in terms of numbers. I don't need to waste time on this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is disappointing. Hint: university department sizes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
This is disappointing. Hint: university department sides.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's not really relevant.. It doesn't change the fact that all banks + McKinsey, Bain and BCG + Man Group + prop shops (Optiver, Jane Street etc) constantly hold events and take on Warwick students. The sponsor list for the finance society alone is a good indication lol.

This isn't even new, they've been heavily targeted for the past 15 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's not really relevant.. It doesn't change the fact that all banks + McKinsey, Bain and BCG + Man Group + prop shops (Optiver, Jane Street etc) constantly hold events and take on Warwick students. The sponsor list for the finance society alone is a good indication lol.

This isn't even new, they've been heavily targeted for the past 15 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hint: economies of scale, which links to size.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hint: economies of scale, which links to size.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Anyone who uses economies of scale as an argument in this situation, doesn't really have anything meaningful to say.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone who uses economies of scale as an argument in this situation, doesn't really have anything meaningful to say.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Gods! Are you serious! Size of Math etc departments at Warwick are larger, more students, bigger finance society, so more efficient for firms to visit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which courses are ABB at LSE?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending