The Student Room Group

I'm more than just a number - Story of a french med student who failed and raised up

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FrenchUnicorn
Unicorn weird stuff :lol: (maybe creepy was not the right word ? I'm Sorry If it was not I was thinking about a french word haha)

Creepy is kind of difficult to define -- the dictionary definition doesn't quite encapsulate how it's used in practice. Examples might help: stalking someone; saying something overtly sexual without any indication that this sort of thing would be welcome; just generally doing something that makes people uncomfortable like staring intensely at them for a prolonged period of time.

I can't do any better than this. :emo: But I get your point anyway, so no worries. :smile:
Original post by Lawbringer
Oh hmmm i meant my cousin did amazing in his final years lol. I wrote destroyed but as yi meant it in a way that he did really well. Yep he got back up.
And yeah MIT is another world to even most students on here.

Good luck

Ahhh I thought he did not yet ! AMAZING ! Glad for him :yep: :yep:

Original post by Hydeman
Creepy is kind of difficult to define -- the dictionary definition doesn't quite encapsulate how it's used in practice. Examples might help: stalking someone; saying something overtly sexual without any indication that this sort of thing would be welcome; just generally doing something that makes people uncomfortable like staring intensely at them for a prolonged period of time.

I can't do any better than this. :emo: But I get your point anyway, so no worries. :smile:

Okay then it was not the right word :lol: Sorry haha as you might already know english is not my first language :P

Délirant was the right word (I'm too tired to Google it :lol: )
Okay then it was not the right word :lol: Sorry haha as you might already know english is not my first language :P

It's kind of hinted at by your username: FrenchUnicorn. :tongue: But it's okay, your English is pretty good.

Délirant was the right word (I'm too tired to Google it :lol: )

That just means delirious, which still isn't quite right, but I can see in what sense you meant it, so no worries. :yy:
Original post by Hydeman
It's kind of hinted at by your username: FrenchUnicorn. :tongue: But it's okay, your English is pretty good.

That just means delirious, which still isn't quite right, but I can see in what sense you meant it, so no worries. :yy:

A lot of people don't even think that I'm actually french :lol: and there is a guy (I wont give a username but I think he knows who he is :P ) who thinks I'm canadian .. Idk why lol , I never get it :lol:

Yeah haha thanks :lol: * :cry: *
A lot of people don't even think that I'm actually french :lol: and there is a guy (I wont give a username but I think he knows who he is :P ) who thinks I'm canadian .. Idk why lol , I never get it :lol:

Yeah haha thanks :lol: * :cry: *

You could be, though. French Canadians are a sizable minority in Canada (fun fact: the current Canadian Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, is a French Canadian). Although I don't see why he would assume that a French person is more likely to be from Canada than from France. :s-smilie:
Original post by Hydeman
You could be, though. French Canadians are a sizable minority in Canada (fun fact: the current Canadian Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, is a French Canadian). Although I don't see why he would assume that a French person is more likely to be from Canada than from France. :s-smilie:

That's right I COULD. And thinking that is okay , but not believing me after I told him .. :lol:
That's right I COULD. And thinking that is okay , but not believing me after I told him .. :lol:

Yeah, that's definitely weird. :s-smilie: If you absolutely had to assume the nationality of a French-speaking person, probability would dictate that they're more likely to be from France than Canada. :tongue:
Original post by Hydeman
Yeah, that's definitely weird. :s-smilie: If you absolutely had to assume the nationality of a French-speaking person, probability would dictate that they're more likely to be from France than Canada. :tongue:

Yes ! Maybe it's because of my english ? But still weird because I do some faults a real native would never do !
I think he thought I was an attention seeker :lol: (because honestly .. Just having french in my username excites some creeps around here , sometimes I even regret my username :lol: :cry2: )
Yes ! Maybe it's because of my english ? But still weird because I do some faults a real native would never do !

Maybe. It's more likely that he was just trying to wind you up, though.

I think he thought I was an attention seeker :lol: (because honestly .. Just having french in my username excites some creeps around here , sometimes I even regret my username :lol: :cry2: )

There you go, you used it correctly! :clap2:

And yeah, unfortunately girls on TSR do get a lot of creepiness. :/ I wasn't actually aware of the full extent of it until very recently, much to my ignominy and shame. :frown:
Original post by Hydeman
Maybe. It's more likely that he was just trying to wind you up, though.

There you go, you used it correctly! :clap2:

And yeah, unfortunately girls on TSR do get a lot of creepiness. :/ I wasn't actually aware of the full extent of it until very recently, much to my ignominy and shame. :frown:

Haha I had to Google wind up :lol: but yes I think you're right

YAY ! Baby unicorn is a grown up now :nyan:

You were not ?! I'm only here for like 2 months ; and at least 10 guys tried to hit on me a really really creepy way (asking for pics , asking If I'm hot, talking in german in my VM ... A 14 year old guy even PM'ed me .. ) I never thought TSR would be so weird before I came :O !
Besides, I could be very ugly and a liar and not even from France , they only care about my username o___o
Haha I had to Google wind up :lol: but yes I think you're right

YAY ! Baby unicorn is a grown up now :nyan:

You're getting there. :h:

You were not ?! I'm only here for like 2 months ; and at least 10 guys tried to hit on me a really really creepy way (asking for pics , asking If I'm hot, talking in german in my VM ... A 14 year old guy even PM'ed me .. ) I never thought TSR would be so weird before I came :O !
Besides, I could be very ugly and a liar and not even from France , they only care about my username o___o

Well, I was aware of the general tendency for a website of this kind to attract shy, sexually frustrated teenagers and the resultant creepy PMs that a lot of girls (particularly those that put up pictures of themselves) received.

What I was not aware of was just how serious/explicit a lot of these were -- a male friend of mine changed his gender symbol to female for a while as a joke, and mentioned being slightly drunk on a thread, and somebody read that and sent him a PM asking for compromising pictures. This was most likely in the hope that being inebriated would make it more likely that he (or she, as the person who sent the PM would have thought) would comply with this perverse request. I mean, that just made me :lolwut:. That kind of thing is very nauseating, and I'm really surprised that the CT haven't at least tried to do something about it, even if a ban on this is effectively unenforceable.

14-year-olds in your PMs... What a surprise. :facepalm:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
You're getting there. :h:

Well, I was aware of the general tendency for a website of this kind to attract shy, sexually frustrated teenagers and the resultant creepy PMs that a lot of girls (particularly those that put up pictures of themselves) received.

What I was not aware of was just how serious/explicit a lot of these were -- a male friend of mine changed his gender symbol to female for a while as a joke, and mentioned being slightly drunk on a thread, and somebody read that and sent him a PM asking for compromising pictures. This was most likely in the hope that being inebriated would make it more likely that he (or she, as the person who sent the PM would have thought) would comply with this perverse request. I mean, that just made me :lolwut:. That kind of thing is very nauseating, and I'm really surprised that the CT haven't at least tried to do something about it, even if a ban on this is effectively unenforceable.

14-year-olds in your PMs... What a surprise. :facepalm:

\o/

God .. Guys out there are really thirsty or what ?! (I'm proud I learned this colloquial word recently :lol: )
That's disgusting o____o oh and I assure you it's serious .. If you could see the PM I'm talking about :O disgusting --"

HAHAHA 14 year old , calling me hun , heard I was 20 -okay I was 19 when he asked- said he was single and into older girls :lol: :lol: my gooooodness he's a kid WHERE have his parents been :lol:

Whatever , TSR is weird :biggrin:
God .. Guys out there are really thirsty or what ?! (I'm proud I learned this colloquial word recently :lol: )
That's disgusting o____o oh and I assure you it's serious .. If you could see the PM I'm talking about :O disgusting --"

TSR has a lot of thirst (congratulations on learning that annoying colloquialism :lol:), I'll admit. I was under the impression that this thirst was of the friendly banter kind that you frequently find in the Chat forum: 'I have a crush on...' type threads, which I find annoying but generally harmless.

But yeah, I now pity the women of TSR, who have to get hit on by pervs and creeps who're actually serious about this stuff. :sad: You may want to hide your gender symbol and implement a white-list for private and visitor messaging, if it gets too creepy.

HAHAHA 14 year old , calling me hun , heard I was 20 -okay I was 19 when he asked- said he was single and into older girls :lol: :lol: my gooooodness he's a kid WHERE have his parents been :lol:

It's creepy as hell to be hit on by people like that... 14 is just such a young age to be trying to get with an older woman. >.< Not to mention illegal. :erm:

Whatever , TSR is weird :biggrin:

You're very optimistic about this place. xD

Anyway, isn't it past the unicorn's bedtime? :tongue:
Original post by Hydeman
TSR has a lot of thirst (congratulations on learning that annoying colloquialism :lol:), I'll admit. I was under the impression that this thirst was of the friendly banter kind that you frequently find in the Chat forum: 'I have a crush on...' type threads, which I find annoying but generally harmless.

But yeah, I now pity the women of TSR, who have to get hit on by pervs and creeps who're actually serious about this stuff. :sad: You may want to hide your gender symbol and implement a white-list for private and visitor messaging, if it gets too creepy.

It's creepy as hell to be hit on by people like that... 14 is just such a young age to be trying to get with an older woman. >.< Not to mention illegal. :erm:

You're very optimistic about this place. xD

Anyway, isn't it past the unicorn's bedtime? :tongue:

Yeah the guys on chat thread are the worst ..

I think I'll block my VM yes ! But everyone knows I'm a girl now (thanks to my thread who never died since 3 weeks :lol: )

It's creepy to be hit on by everyone here , that's not supposed to be a dating site ! They should all get Tinder and leave normal people alone.

Hahaha not my fault , unicorns are optimistiiiiiiic :nyan:

My gaaaaad it's 1:52 in here , and I have an insomnia :lol: anyway I should get off my phone lol , bonne nuit ! :nyan:
Reply 235
Original post by Hydeman

They don't speak the same French. :biggrin:

You haven't received a dick pic yet.
Yeah the guys on chat thread are the worst ..

I think I'll block my VM yes ! But everyone knows I'm a girl now (thanks to my thread who never died since 3 weeks :lol: )

Still, it will deter future creeps. :tongue: Let me know if you need help setting up a whitelist (that way you can turn off VMs for everyone except the people you want to hear from).

It's creepy to be hit on by everyone here , that's not supposed to be a dating site ! They should all get Tinder and leave normal people alone.

Apparently it used to be a lot like Facebook-type dating website in its early days (~2003). :innocent: But yeah, it's now supposed to be more academic, so it would be nice if the creeps would kindly bugger off to a proper dating site where people would actually welcome their attention.

Hahaha not my fault , unicorns are optimistiiiiiiic :nyan:

My gaaaaad it's 1:52 in here , and I have an insomnia :lol: anyway I should get off my phone lol , bonne nuit ! :nyan:

G'night. :h:
Original post by Josb
They don't speak the same French. :biggrin:

Well, obviously. :tongue: After centuries of geographic separation from the motherland, one would imagine a distinct, Canadian dialect would develop.

You haven't received a dick pic yet.

And you have? :lolwut:
Reply 238
Original post by Hydeman

And you have? :lolwut:

:colonhash:

No, fortunately.
Original post by Josb
:colonhash:

No, fortunately.

Oh, okay. Not sure why you would bring it up unless there was some personal experience involved. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending