The Student Room Group

My Road to A* everywhere

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nisha.sri
When is your bday?
Looks like you've done a lot though how much do you revise per day then?

29th March

And I probably have done quite a bit but I feel like I haven't and normally I do about 3-4 hours on a school night but yesterday I only did about 2 if that. I would have liked to have gotten some of the science notes typed up but I will try and do that over the weekend. I want to be able to focus on just past papers as soon as possible but need everything else out of the way first. :smile:
how long have you been putting those hours? i mean the 3-4/night and 5-6/weekend?

and how does your typical school day/night look like? when do you rise, revise, when do you sleep?
Original post by tabletenniswhiz
how long have you been putting those hours? i mean the 3-4/night and 5-6/weekend?

and how does your typical school day/night look like? when do you rise, revise, when do you sleep?

Hi, a typical day for me starts at 6:30am. I'll get up and ready by 7 and start revision for an hour then until 8. I'll go to school at about 8:15 and return for about 15:30. From here I will just revise as much as I can and get my homework done. I will, of course, stop for breaks in between and stop to watch a programme with my tea. I don't have a specific thing of "I stop by 8 to wind down" I just revise until I feel like it but definitely go to bed by 10pm. The 3/4 hour thing is just like a minimum benchmark I like to reach each day.

I've been putting in these sorts of hours since at least September, if not since Year 10 :smile:

EDIT: Of course, I have to mention that if there is something planned for a day, I will definitely plan revision around it, and not cancel it to revise :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by brainzistheword
29th March

And I probably have done quite a bit but I feel like I haven't and normally I do about 3-4 hours on a school night but yesterday I only did about 2 if that. I would have liked to have gotten some of the science notes typed up but I will try and do that over the weekend. I want to be able to focus on just past papers as soon as possible but need everything else out of the way first. :smile:

True and sam ei am going to do some in the half term :smile:
True and sam ei am going to do some in the half term :smile:

Yep I hope you get loads done so you can smash the exams :smile:
Hi,
I'm current quite nervous about my exams this year and I really want to achieve as many A*s as possible. However, in less than 7 weeks, I have my exams and I feel like I am not doing enough revision.
What can I do to stop being nervous?
Also, how do you manage your time?
Is there enough time to catch up and be able to do well?

Thanks
Ok guys. I've just done another set of ppes and these are my results

Drama: A star

Maths: B-

English Language: A star

English Literature: A star

Business: A

Biology: A

Physics: A

French: A star

History: A star

Ok. So Im currently wrapping up my Business coursework. Therefore, I have not been revising much lately. However, I've got 2 weeks worth of holidays coming up and I'm going to revise my balls off. I'm aiming for 9 A stars. My main concern is maths because I got the same grade last time. Is there still time for me to get A stars in everything? I want to study PPE at Oxford.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MR.ANONYMOUS 786

Ok. So Im currently wrapping up my Business coursework. Therefore, I have not been revising much lately. However, I've got 2 weeks worth of holidays coming up and I'm going to revise my balls off. I'm aiming for 9 A stars. My main concern is maths because I got the same grade last time. Is there still time for me to get A stars in everything? I want to study PPE at Oxford.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I probably sound so stupid for asking this but what does PPE stand for?
Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Emily110921
I probably sound so stupid asking this but what does PPE stand for?
Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dont quote me if i am wrong but i think it stands for Philosophy, Politics and Economics
Original post by brainzistheword
Yep I hope you get loads done so you can smash the exams :smile:

Hahha so do i :smile: do you reckon it would be easy or hard?
Hey guys does past papers help?
If so how would you do them?
Do examiners recycle questions?
When doing past papers which year should i begin from?

Thank you
p.s: no one seems to give me the correct answer and every1 seems to say different things - confused ...
Original post by Emily110921
I probably sound so stupid asking this but what does PPE stand for?
Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Politics, Philosophy and Economics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ibte10
Dont quote me if i am wrong but i think it stands for Philosophy, Politics and Economics

You are correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys does past papers help?
If so how would you do them?
Do examiners recycle questions?
When doing past papers which year should i begin from?

Thank you
p.s: no one seems to give me the correct answer and every1 seems to say different things - confused ...

Yes, past papers definitely help as they help you to develop exam technique, which can mean the difference between an A and an A* sometimes

Start from the year the spec for your exam came into effect (I.e the first year that the exam you'll sit was sat by other people) as before then they could be different and not relevant to you

Do a past paper when you think you have learnt all of the content for it. There WILL be something you missed, or didn't fully understand. It's important that you mark them/get your teacher to mark them, and then revisit the topics that you lost marks on. Do another when you have done this etc.

In some subjects the course content is quite small so they're limited as to what they can actually ask you, therefore recycled questions are inevitable. However in some subjects they never recycle questions as they can vary them sufficiently each year.

Hope I helped! :smile:
Original post by NiamhM1801
Yes, past papers definitely help as they help you to develop exam technique, which can mean the difference between an A and an A* sometimes

Start from the year the spec for your exam came into effect (I.e the first year that the exam you'll sit was sat by other people) as before then they could be different and not relevant to you

Do a past paper when you think you have learnt all of the content for it. There WILL be something you missed, or didn't fully understand. It's important that you mark them/get your teacher to mark them, and then revisit the topics that you lost marks on. Do another when you have done this etc.

In some subjects the course content is quite small so they're limited as to what they can actually ask you, therefore recycled questions are inevitable. However in some subjects they never recycle questions as they can vary them sufficiently each year.

Hope I helped! :smile:

oooh thank you this really did help me Niamh x
Have you started to do past papers and also are you ready for the exams?
I feel like i would start from the oldest paper which i could find x
i feel like that is better becuase apparently examiners recycle questions is that true??? Hmmm :smile: :smile:
Original post by sahra30013
Hi,
I'm current quite nervous about my exams this year and I really want to achieve as many A*s as possible. However, in less than 7 weeks, I have my exams and I feel like I am not doing enough revision.
What can I do to stop being nervous?
Also, how do you manage your time?
Is there enough time to catch up and be able to do well?

Thanks

Hey ,

I am doing my gcse's this year too with you and i will tell you that you should revise straight away i mean if you want great grades then go for it .. make sure you make a revision time table and etc.. ( get yourself organised)

Just think of positivity around you and dream of those A* 's :smile: :smile:

Ofc there is always always time to prepare , remember the easter half term you can do tonnes for that :smile:

Just revise your ass off and dont forget to take breaks too and award yourself :smile:
Test yourself when you've revise and etc..

Hope that helped and good luck for you examination ( exams)
oooh thank you this really did help me Niamh x
Have you started to do past papers and also are you ready for the exams?
I feel like i would start from the oldest paper which i could find x
i feel like that is better becuase apparently examiners recycle questions is that true??? Hmmm :smile: :smile:

I haven't started past papers on my own yet (saving them until the Easter hols) but we've been doing quite a lot of them in class (informally though) so I have got some practise in already.

Starting with the early ones is probably a good idea, that way you can really see exactly what the examiner is looking for in an answer, and if they happen to recycle you'll be prepared :tongue:
Hahha so do i :smile: do you reckon it would be easy or hard?

Well if you a) like studying or b) manage your time well, then it should be easy but it is different for every single person. If you need any help to try and make it easier let me know and I'll see what I can do :smile:
Original post by NiamhM1801
I haven't started past papers on my own yet (saving them until the Easter hols) but we've been doing quite a lot of them in class (informally though) so I have got some practise in already.

Starting with the early ones is probably a good idea, that way you can really see exactly what the examiner is looking for in an answer, and if they happen to recycle you'll be prepared :tongue:

Yup :smile: hahaha Thanks for your advise :smile:
Original post by MR.ANONYMOUS 786

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done on these grades!! There is still definitely time to get in the revision and got those A*s. All I can say for maths is past papers - do every single question you can find and learn where you are going wrong :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest