The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Wow, that's grim.
For some people Freedom of Speech is synonymous to freedom to say stupid things. And that's an issue.

Abusing and insulting demographics, creates a toxic environment which leads to a civil unrest. It's a good initiative from the government to clamp down on such morons.

Like in my house, for example, racist statements, insulting my girlfriend (imaginary), and suggestions that Donald Trump will be the best president the US ever had will get you ridiculed or thrown out.

Moaning you weren't afforded your freedom to be stupid won't earn you my sympathy. My pragmatic selection of inviting (and throwing out) people ensures the quality of discussion remains high quality and respectful in The House.
Original post by TaintedLight
suggestions that Donald Trump will be the best president the US ever had will get you ridiculed or thrown out.

Technically, Donald Trump will be the best president of the US ever from their own perspective; because he's the embodiment of everything wrong with that country - that's why they love him.
I believe in free speech to a certain extent... but if someones making people upset than I think that free speech should be limited for that person.
Reply 5
Original post by humanteaparty
I believe in free speech to a certain extent... but if someones making people upset than I think that free speech should be limited for that person.

You are seriously upsetting me with what you are suggesting. Please limit your speech.
Original post by PrincePaul56777
If you are a white person living in the most European nations or in the US you experience less censorship than any other demographic on this planet.

You have easier access to more resources including paper, pens, computers and dictaphones. Not only do you have more ability to access the internet to publish online.

White people also have the world's strongest publishing industry statistically supporting them more than any other group.

Nobody (I repeat) NOBODY is less prevented from writing whatever the hell they want to than whites. Look TSR - White people are allowed to RUN A MUCK on here and say what they want, no matter how racist.

And you know what ?

I don't have no problem with that but then when black people come on here and give counter arguments. They are banned immediately

Yet whites love to whine on about how they can’t speak their mind about how they are restricted by political correctness.

I do agree that we white people like to complain about little things in which in the grand scheme of things don't matter. But the fact we can whine about little things is what makes the UK great and I wish every country could have this.

So we should all have the same opinions to avoid upsetting anyone?

Gtfo deluded fascist
If you are a white person living in the most European nations or in the US you experience less censorship than any other demographic on this planet.

You have easier access to more resources including paper, pens, computers and dictaphones. Not only do you have more ability to access the internet to publish online.

White people also have the world's strongest publishing industry statistically supporting them more than any other group.

Nobody (I repeat) NOBODY is less prevented from writing whatever the hell they want to than whites. Look at this site (TSR) - White people are allowed to RUN A MUCK on here and say what they want, no matter how racist.

And you know what ?

I don't have no problem with that but then when black people come on here and give counter arguments. They are banned immediately

Yet whites love to whine on about how they can’t speak their mind about how they are restricted by political correctness.

I'm sorry but why is it we have easier access to these things? Oh that's right, because we created most of them and had the ingenuity and resources to use them.
Reply 9

Everything offends everyone, so how does that work?
People in the UK probably don't believe in freedom of speech because they don't have it.

There's a constant shift towards political correctness that people think is better than being able to say what they want.

It's probably a good thing. The skinhead up the street who wants to "send them all home" is probably better being told to keep quiet than having to hear his nonsense all the time.
It's all lies we don't actually have free speech. If we say something that the government doesn't like, we get locked up and get our brains picked at to see why we are so retarded to openly speak out
freedom of speech is just an abstract concept, and nowhere in the world does an absolute freedom of speech exist

freedom of speech is usually limited by legislation which sanctions slander, libel, incitations to commit crimes, offenses, etc etc
(edited 8 years ago)

Nobody (I repeat) NOBODY is less prevented from writing whatever the hell they want to than whites. Look at this site (TSR) - White people are allowed to RUN A MUCK on here and say what they want, no matter how racist.

And you know what ?

You've just given the counter-argument and yet you are not banned, giving lie to the statement that you just made.

Free Speech -requires- the ability to say things no matter who they offend. Martin Luther King offended people, Malcolm X offended people, Rosa Parks offended people. Should they have been made to cease their speech because it offended people?

Western Society has been able to advance so radically in part because of the free change of ideas.

Are we still 'more free' to speak than in places like China or Russia? Yes. And we will continue to stay that way because we will defend free speech.

If you don't like what someone has to say, there are a plethora of options available to you - You can not support their company, you can decide you don't want to be in their vicinity, you can tell him he is a racist, xenophobic bigot - What you can't do is demand the government silence someone who disagrees with you.

Because the moment you go down that path, you can be guaranteed that the government will use that power on you.
Reply 14
Original post by HAnwar
Everything offends everyone, so how does that work?

Indeed.

So, as per the report, do you agree that "people should be allowed to say what they believe about religion" or are there "some things that you should not be able to say about religion"?
And I am sure that if the question was whether people should have the right to speak freely by shouting "fire" in a crowded building, an even greater number would think there should be a restriction on free speech.

The NSS thinks that there should be an absolute freedom to insult other people's religious beliefs. Even in a poll with a question loaded in favour of the NSS, 48% of people disagreed with them.

Your statement has made me upset

I now ask you edit your post and delete what you have said

And you know what ?

Yet your post still exits and you haven't been banned despite the obvious racism in your post.

It seems black people (see what I've done there) just like to whine about how they don't have the same rights as white people whilst still exercising those rights.
Original post by nulli tertius
And I am sure that if the question was whether people should have the right to speak freely by shouting "fire" in a crowded building, an even greater number would think there should be a restriction on free speech.

The NSS thinks that there should be an absolute freedom to insult other people's religious beliefs. Even in a poll with a question loaded in favour of the NSS, 48% of people disagreed with them.

False equivalence. You can't shout fire in a crowded theater or call in bomb threats because of the immediate, imminent danger those things cause.

If you are suggesting that criticizing religion(And I say that as a religious person myself) is similar, you're suggesting that imminent danger will occur if you criticize another religion. But people are not guns - We are not 'triggered'. If you insult a bunch of Mormons and they set fire to London in retaliation, they are the ones at fault(Not that this is very likely. They probably would engage in drive-by turning the other cheek, though. You would get forgiven SO HARD your head would spin). Similarly, any group that responded to criticisms with violence -deserve to be criticized-.

In fact, for the advancement of society, I feel that would be absolutely critical.
Original post by BaconandSauce
Yet your post still exits and you haven't been banned despite the obvious racism in your post.

It seems black people (see what I've done there) just like to whine about how they don't have the same rights as white people whilst still exercising those rights.

I will get banned. My time is coming. I know this. But a few things

I do not make fun of how whites talk or dress or look.

I do not make fun of the food they eat or the names they give their children.

I do not hold up their poorest and most criminal elements (The Jeremy Kyle Type) as “what white people are like”.

I do not excuse violence against them saying that whites kill each other all the time.

I do not make racist jokes about them.

I do not call them racial slurs or compare them to animals.

Whining ?

Well what makes sense to the Wolf is not going to make sense to the sheep. Two historical enemies are never going to see eye to eye

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending