The Student Room Group

Cannabis (Legalisation and Regulation) Ten Minute Rule in House of Commons

On Wednesday 23 March at approximately 12.30pm MPs will discuss a ten minute rule on Cannabis (Legalisation and Regulation).

This Bill has been sponsored by Norman Lamb MP

Motion of the Bill

That leave be given to bring in a Bill to amend the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 to provide for the lawful production, packaging, marketing, sale, purchase, possession and consumption of herbal cannabis in specific circumstances by certain persons; and for connected purposes.

Watch

Watch the discussion on Parliament TV.

What is a Ten Minute Rule?

Ten Minute Rule Bills are a type of Private Members' Bill that are introduced in the House of Commons under Standing Order No 23.The ten minute rule allows a backbench MP to make his or her case for a new Bill in a speech lasting up to ten minutes. An opposing speech may also be made before the House decides whether or not the Bill should be introduced. If the MP is successful the Bill is taken to have had its first reading.

Scroll to see replies

Just bloody legalise it. No 'specific circumstances', no 'certain persons' (over the age of 18). Just let me buy the stuff already.
Reply 2
Tis nice but most of our MPs are far too backward to support this, it wont pass.
Should have been done years ago, but it won't happen. The public already want it, but the Tories are firmly in the pocket of the tobacco and alcohol industries. Utter scumbags.
Reply 4
I remember it being debated in October after the 200,000+ signature petition. Finished with our current Justice Minister saying he didn't believe cannabis was safer than alcohol and openly admitting "he was never going to change his view". Here's a summary of it.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/cannabis-debate-live-mps-discuss-6620184

I think we've got a hell of a long way to get yet if as a country we are still trying to pretend cannabis is more harmful than alcohol. I'm sure he has had a pint recently, and he would be admitting to blatant hypocrisy if he actually admitted cannabis was clearly safer.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Even if nothing significant ends up coming from this, having a mature discussion/debate in the House of Commons about this particular topic has been a long time coming, and I absolutely welcome it.

Thank you so much for finally listening to the people.
Reply 6
Original post by JG1233
I remember it being debated in October after the 200,000+ signature petition. Finished with our current Justice Minister saying he didn't believe cannabis was safer than alcohol and openly admitting "he was never going to change his view". Here's a summary of it.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/cannabis-debate-live-mps-discuss-6620184

I think we've got a hell of a long way to get yet if as a country we are still trying to pretend cannabis is more harmful than alcohol. I'm sure he has had a pint recently, and he would be admitting to blatant hypocrisy if he actually admitted cannabis was clearly safer.

Really? I must have missed that.
Reply 7
It's gunna be a hell of a long time till our society is trusted with legalized cannabis. You have drink driving accidents, alongside underage drinking and smoking. Are we really to be trusted with this power?
I can understand it being legalised under medical purposes as there is enough scientific evidence to show it can help with Epilepsy however I think it would cause many more issues than it's worth to legalise it completely, they can't really ban alcohol as it's been accepted into society now and the government get a lot of income from it however I think stopping cannabis from completely coming into society is a good thing.
Original post by lustawny
Really? I must have missed that.

If you want to catch-up on what happened in the debate in October you can watch it on Parliament TV.

The House of Commons Library also produced a debate pack summary for people when that debate took place.

House of Commons debate pack: E-petition relating to making the production, sale and use of cannabis legal
Reply 10
I couldn't agree with you more. Introducing a new drug into society will mean over time it would go the same way as alcohol. Being readily available at nearly every shop and being socially acceptable to be seen by ones peers with a drink in hand are two future concerns. However, cannabis is readily available in some areas even more so than alcohol. And while it is not really acceptable in most places to light up a joint, this view seems to be changing over time with the next generation being more supportive and understanding about cannabis.
420 I guess?
Original post by runningoutoftime
I can understand it being legalised under medical purposes as there is enough scientific evidence to show it can help with Epilepsy however I think it would cause many more issues than it's worth to legalise it completely, they can't really ban alcohol as it's been accepted into society now and the government get a lot of income from it however I think stopping cannabis from completely coming into society is a good thing.

How is that a good thing? It's been well observed that criminalizing drug use doesn't stop anyone using drugs, and in fact legalizing use often makes drug use go down. Drug criminalization throws good people in prison (costing hundreds of thousands of pounds per person), who then come out and commit real crimes (you know, crimes that actually affect other people negatively) because their lives have been ruined by the "justice" system and they have nothing left to lose.

Then all of us non-users pat ourselves on the back for "protecting society", when in reality we're severely punishing people with medical conditions and preventing addicts from getting help, turning them into real criminals.

But as long as we can pretend we're doing something good, that's all that matters, right?

All that aside, it's ridiculous to compare cannabis to alcohol. It's less addictive, it causes far fewer health problems needing treatment (most problems only arise with very frequent use), it doesn't cause the lack of control that leads to violence, and so on. If half the people that binge drink every week started using cannabis instead, the NHS would save billions.
Original post by JordanL_
How is that a good thing? It's been well observed that criminalizing drug use doesn't stop anyone using drugs, and in fact legalizing use often makes drug use go down. Drug criminalization throws good people in prison (costing hundreds of thousands of pounds per person), who then come out and commit real crimes (you know, crimes that actually affect other people negatively) because their lives have been ruined by the "justice" system and they have nothing left to lose.

Then all of us non-users pat ourselves on the back for "protecting society", when in reality we're severely punishing people with medical conditions and preventing addicts from getting help, turning them into real criminals.

But as long as we can pretend we're doing something good, that's all that matters, right?

All that aside, it's ridiculous to compare cannabis to alcohol. It's less addictive, it causes far fewer health problems needing treatment (most problems only arise with very frequent use), it doesn't cause the lack of control that leads to violence, and so on. If half the people that binge drink every week started using cannabis instead, the NHS would save billions.

If they are put in prison due to drugs they aren't good people, they have committed a crime, there's no two ways about it. I've had to deal with quite a few people who smoke too much cannabis and have passed out and thrown up, one even cracked their head open on the sink so I don't think it would actually save money . Plus once one drug is legalised then the next thing you know cocaine will be legalised as well, now wouldn't that be fun it would cost the NHS billions
I don't support this- it will lead to more addictions and ultimately more paranoid bagheads
Original post by runningoutoftime
If they are put in prison due to drugs they aren't good people, they have committed a crime, there's no two ways about it. I've had to deal with quite a few people who smoke too much cannabis and have passed out and thrown up, one even cracked their head open on the sink so I don't think it would actually save money . Plus once one drug is legalised then the next thing you know cocaine will be legalised as well, now wouldn't that be fun it would cost the NHS billions

So the multiple sclerosis sufferer who uses cannabis to treat their pain is a bad person? What about the person with depression that smokes once a month because it's the only time they feel normal? Do you seriously believe that they're bad people? That's absolutely ludicrous.

As for cocaine legalisation, like I said, it's a FACT that legalising drugs leads to less people using then. So no, if anything, it would probably save the NHS money.
Original post by ChildOfTony
I don't support this- it will lead to more addictions and ultimately more paranoid bagheads

Except it won't, because a study by an international commission of medical experts found that legalising drug use would cause use and addiction to decrease. What do you know that they don't?
Except it won't, because a study by an international commission of medical experts found that legalising drug use would cause use and addiction to decrease. What do you know that they don't?

If it is easier to get hold of more people will be taking it, the more people who take the drugs on a regular basis the more people who are addicted. Alcohol, fags and Caffeine is enough. The only thing legalising drugs will do is force dealers out of business- which is good, but thats not what we want to do, we want to cut the supply of illegal drugs into the UK
Original post by ChildOfTony
If it is easier to get hold of more people will be taking it, the more people who take the drugs on a regular basis the more people who are addicted. Alcohol, fags and Caffeine is enough. The only thing legalising drugs will do is force dealers out of business- which is good, but thats not what we want to do, we want to cut the supply of illegal drugs into the UK

I'm fairly sure the commission considered this and still found that drug use would go down.

In Portugal, all drugs were legalised and drug use went down. Addiction also went down, because people could seek treatment instead of being thrown in prison.

It's incredibly naive to think that we can cut off the supply of illegal drugs. We've been trying for decades, but it's easier than ever. I could buy a kilo of heroin online and have it delivered to my house the next day if I felt so inclined.
I'm fairly sure the commission considered this and still found that drug use would go down.

In Portugal, all drugs were legalised and drug use went down. Addiction also went down, because people could seek treatment instead of being thrown in prison.

It's incredibly naive to think that we can cut off the supply of illegal drugs. We've been trying for decades, but it's easier than ever. I could buy a kilo of heroin online and have it delivered to my house the next day if I felt so inclined.

Thats what I mean- we need to eradicate it- the way to cut off a lot of supply is to stop immigration

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending