The Student Room Group

Women Protection Bill protested by religious leaders as 'un-Islamic'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BaconandSauce
I think you've just managed to prove his point

He made many, but his belittlement of Ruby's cause is the exact reason why feminists in Pakistan do not need many of the people who replied to this thread on their side (if they even are). So it in fact proved my point on what I said about them earlier.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by WBZ144
He made many, but his belittlement of Ruby's cause is the exact reason why feminists in Pakistan do not need many of the people who replied to this thread on their side (if they even are). So it in fact proved my point on what I said about them earlier.

He didn't belittle her cause at all infant he actually said '
You have my best wishes for a successful campaign.'

He didn't belittle her cause at all infant he actually said '
You have my best wishes for a successful campaign.'

Yes, he threw her a bone, how nice of him.

For a girl struggling for change and risking her life the last thing she needs is to be told "nothing is going to change because your country is such and such" by a patronising outsider. Not only is that discouraging, but it is also belittling to the things that these women have already managed to accomplish (this bill being one of them, despite protests from the nutcases).
Original post by WBZ144
his belittlement of Ruby's cause

You must have something built into your brain that takes a message - in this case, whole-hearted support for the person I was addressing - and reverses it - again, in this case, belittling it. I despair.

And you do so, again, while conspicuously failing to condemn the behaviour of the religious leaders who are blocking the changes to the law that would result in better protection for the Pakistani women.
Original post by WBZ144

For a girl struggling for change and risking her life the last thing she needs is to be told "nothing is going to change because your country is such and such" by a patronising outsider. Not only is that discouraging, but it is also belittling to the things that these women have already managed to accomplish (this bill being one of them, despite protests from the nutcases).

Such Rot

it's the truth her country is up **** creek without a paddle and there is nothing wrong with stating this

Perhaps accepting this is the first step to fixing the problems
But as an outsider I notice you weren't even patronising enough to throw her a bone but rather went after those who did.
Original post by Zamestaneh
Simple argument against the religious parties involved in Pakistan is that the people who argue against this bill are themselves being un-Islamic for 1. Not protecting the rights of women 2. Being divided into factions and parties, so they shouldn't exist in the first place.

Their argument is that the new law would remove aspects of sharia law which they support - the ability to physically chastise women. Why don't you condemn them and support the women? They look pretty united, to me, on this matter.

I mentioned God not to start a new debate.

Yup, distraction.
Original post by WBZ144

These women have done excellent work, but they are up against the forces of evil, and they know it. It makes sense to recognise that.

There is little we can do to help except offer good wishes and hopes for succcess. It is significant that the only people that have done so in this thread have been atheists. It says something for the power of superstition, that it clouds the judgement of educated and privileged people like you to the extent they care so little for the sufferings of fellow religionists.
Simple argument against the religious parties involved in Pakistan is that the people who argue against this bill are themselves being un-Islamic for 1. Not protecting the rights of women 2. Being divided into factions and parties, so they shouldn't exist in the first place.

Would you support a law in any Muslim-majority or Islamic state that prohibits men from physically disciplining women in any way?
Original post by Good bloke
You must have something built into your brain that takes a message - in this case, whole-hearted support for the person I was addressing - and reverses it - again, in this case, belittling it. I despair.

And you do so, again, while conspicuously failing to condemn the behaviour of the religious leaders who are blocking the changes to the law that would result in better protection for the Pakistani women.

Oh, I totally support you but nothing is going to change.

Yes yes, such wholehearted support. Give yourself a pat on the back for being such a "Good Bloke".

You clearly did not read all my posts, and I have never felt the need to prove myself to the likes of you.
Such Rot

it's the truth her country is up **** creek without a paddle and there is nothing wrong with stating this

Perhaps accepting this is the first step to fixing the problems
But as an outsider I notice you weren't even patronising enough to throw her a bone but rather went after those who did.

Of course, Pakistani women living in Pakistan and working for change within their country are not aware of the obstacles they face. Not only are these helpless women without minds of their own sitting around waiting be told by Westerners on an online forum of what needs to be done in their own country, they need to have their achievements belittled as well and told that nothing will change.

People here seem to wilfully blind themselves to some of my posts. But hey, that's none of my business. What I did was show her real support and the fact that I do believe that she can achieve what she is working to achieve.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by WBZ144
Oh, I totally support you but nothing is going to change.

Yes yes, such wholehearted support. Give yourself a pat on the back for being such a "Good Bloke".

You clearly did not read all my posts, and I have never felt the need to prove myself to the likes of you.

And still nobody who adheres to Islam will condemn the behaviour of these religious leaders who are attempting to block the passage of a law that protects women in Pakistan.

Those that might are too busy criticising the critics of Islam.

I didn't say, by the way that nothing is going to change. I said that nothing is likely to change while the mullahs have power. Do you see the difference? Religion is holding back the development of the country, and prolonging the suffering of the women.
These women have done excellent work, but they are up against the forces of evil, and they know it. It makes sense to recognise that.

There is little we can do to help except offer good wishes and hopes for succcess. It is significant that the only people that have done so in this thread have been atheists. It says something for the power of superstition, that it clouds the judgement of educated and privileged people like you to the extent they care so little for the sufferings of fellow religionists.

As all women who fought against patriarchal systems were, historically and now. That did not stop them from achieving huge victories for equality.

Many of the religious people on this thread are insincere but the same can be said for some of the Atheists, judging from what I've read.
Original post by WBZ144

People here seem to wilfully blind themselves to some of my posts. But hey, that's none of my business. What I did was show her real support and the fact that I do believe that she can achieve what she is working to achieve.

That is richly ironic, considering you ignored the operative half of one of my sentences and attacked the first part without the crucial "while" clause, eh?

You have not even replied to any of Ruby's posts, never mind supported her. You have not condemned the religious leaders, haven't expressed an opinion that the women deserve change, and haven't made one suggestion as to what needs to be done. How is that "support".
Original post by WBZ144
As all women who fought against patriarchal systems were, historically and now. That did not stop them from achieving huge victories for equality.

Many of the religious people on this thread are insincere but the same can be said for some of the Atheists, judging from what I've read.

My dislike of religion is perfectly sincere, as is my wish that the women of Pakistan get justice, and as is my belief that the main barrier to that justice is the religious leaders. Those leaders will continue to block progress, heartened by the silent support from Moslems from around the world.
That is richly ironic, considering you ignored the operative half of one of my sentences and attacked the first part without the crucial "while" clause, eh?

You have not even replied to any of Ruby's posts, never mind supported her. You have not condemned the religious leaders, haven't expressed an opinion that the women deserve change, and haven't made one suggestion as to what needs to be done. How is that "support".

It's not my fault that you did not read the whole thread. Like I said I do not feel the need to prove myself to the likes of you.
Original post by WBZ144
Of course, Pakistani women living in Pakistan and working for change within their country are not aware of the obstacles they face. Not only are these helpless women without minds of their own sitting around waiting be told by Westerners on an online forum of what needs to be done in their own country, they need to have their achievements belittled as well and told that nothing will change.

As I say you seem keen on attack those of us who would offer our support(I can't seen any reply to Ruby after her post so is this support you offered made up by by chance)

ah but I see you have issues with 'westerners' so I'll leave you to wallow
(edited 8 years ago)
AS I say you seem keen on attack those of us who would offer our support

ah but I see you have issues with 'westerners' so I'll leave you to wallow

We are western, white, male and atheist. The lowest of the low.
Original post by WBZ144
It's not my fault that you did not read the whole thread. Like I said I do not feel the need to prove myself to the likes of you.

Yet you fell he needs to prove himself to the likes of you

Odd that.
We are western, white, male and atheist. The lowest of the low.

It does seem that way

Yet oddly she is a member of the atheist society.
Yet you fell he needs to prove himself to the likes of you

Odd that.

Where did I say that he needed to prove himself? He has the choice whether to reply to me or not and he can choose how he replies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending