The Student Room Group

Does anyone still believe that depression is not a real illness and those that have?

it are attention seeking?

Because I would love to punch you on the face.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, I do believe that depression is a real illness. I do however believe that feeling depressed and suffering from depression are two totally different things but a lot of the time, people just lump the two together. We all feel depressed occasionally but not all of us will ever suffer from depression.
Reply 2
What is it with all your threads recently?

Please go to your GP asap. It sounds like you're really struggling and making thread after thread on a student website which will probably start some arguments is not going to help you.

EDIT: To answer the question, I am mentally ill myself so no. Depression is real.
Reply 3
il ask my dad whose been diagnosed with severe depression what his views on it are!!!!
Reply 4
Well if an illness= a disease or period of sickness affecting the body or mind.

I guess it is. I have been prescribed medication to help my mood but it doesn't seem to work anyway... I think the issue is that people swing the term around too often and they forget what depression really is.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Airmed

Please go to your GP asap. It sounds like you're really struggling and making thread after thread on a student website which will probably start some arguments is not going to help you.

EDIT: To answer the question, I am mentally ill myself so no. Depression is real.

I am just sick of it thats all. Sleep was my only escape from it now I cant even sleep. So I am tires, angry, annoyed and just want to ****ing die. I don't care if you think I am a freak for feeling like that.
Reply 6
Original post by shawtyb
you dont need to bring us all down with you though do you

How am I bring yours all down? Sorry if I am. This is why I dont want to tell anyone about it that I know.
Reply 7
Original post by illness
How am I bring yours all down? Sorry if I am. This is why I dont want to tell anyone about it that I know.

because its so depressing, theres enough depressing **** in the world, let alone seeing it daily on here
fair enough if u need help, then fine ask for advice but not depressing **** every day
try just being happy for a while
Original post by shawtyb
because its so depressing, theres enough depressing **** in the world, let alone seeing it daily on here
fair enough if u need help, then fine ask for advice but not depressing **** every day

Are you ****ing serious?
Reply 9
Original post by childofthesun
Are you ****ing serious?

yes and before u start, i have had depression
even if u dont feel happy, try
everything in life requires you to try to some degree.
thinking of positive stuff in your life
Reply 10
Original post by shawtyb

Sorry I am just overwhelmed. I cant take my mind anymore. I can on here to let of steam. No matter what I do I feel like I cant get better.
Original post by illness
Sorry I am just overwhelmed. I cant take my mind anymore. I can on here to let of steam. No matter what I do I feel like I cant get better.

go to ur drs
Original post by Airmed

Damn, can't rep this. Bloody TSR :grumble:
Reply 13
Original post by shawtyb
go to ur drs

Have to wait until Monday.
Original post by illness
Have to wait until Monday.

oh yea its friday :frown:
There are chemical changes in the brain which cause depression. Unless you don't believe in chemistry, I can't see how you think that way.
Original post by shawtyb
oh yea its friday :frown:

A 7 day nhs would be good.
Just a quick note to say I've moved this thread over to a more appropriate section. Please see your GP ASAP. :hugs:
Original post by balanced
A 7 day nhs would be good.

we have walk in centres here, there open from 8am till 8 pm every day of the year and longer during the winter
Reply 19
Original post by balanced
There are chemical changes in the brain which cause depression. Unless you don't believe in chemistry, I can't see how you think that way.

I hate my brain.

Quick Reply

Latest