The Student Room Group

Calling all access students

I'm more than halfway through the course now, and although I've done well so far in my essays, I'm starting to doubt myself.

There are a number of pieces of work coming up, and I don't feel the same sense of urgency that I felt at the beginning of the year.

What I mean is, I don't feel as nervous, and nervousness is something that I've come to equate with doing well.

I wondered if anyone else is going through a similar form of anxiety about their lack of anxiety for want of a better phrase?

I can't quite decide if I'm less nervous because I care less, or because I'm finding the work easier...

Scroll to see replies

I'm not worried at all now. I've got distinctions in every unit so far so am more than confident I'll meet the conditions of my uni offer.

However I'm struggling to motivate myself to do the research project, it's ungraded so only a pass or fail. We've got 4 ungraded units and 16 graded.
Reply 2
Ah, I wish I was like that. I have also had all distinctions so far, but never have I felt confident handing a piece of work in for marking...
Original post by JPO92
Ah, I wish I was like that. I have also had all distinctions so far, but never have I felt confident handing a piece of work in for marking...

I was at first but now I have 6 benchmarks I can at least compare my work to that I've done earlier. I can be of reasonable confidence that my work is at least as good as that I've done earlier then you should not have to worry.

As for motivation this is a little harder. You need to find an intrinsic curiosity around learning. If you can do this then motivation - at least in an educational context - should not be a problem.
Reply 4
Original post by skeptical_john
I was at first but now I have 6 benchmarks I can at least compare my work to that I've done earlier. I can be of reasonable confidence that my work is at least as good as that I've done earlier then you should not have to worry.

As for motivation this is a little harder. You need to find an intrinsic curiosity around learning. If you can do this then motivation - at least in an educational context - should not be a problem.

I find all the subjects we are covering particularly fascinating, so that's not the concern for me, but I just feel like I've moved away from where I was at the beginning of the year.

It's quite hard to explain, but it almost feels like I've lost some of my ability, or that's how it feels anyway.
Original post by JPO92
I find all the subjects we are covering particularly fascinating, so that's not the concern for me, but I just feel like I've moved away from where I was at the beginning of the year.

It's quite hard to explain, but it almost feels like I've lost some of my ability, or that's how it feels anyway.

Kind of irrelevant, but what pathway are you on?
Original post by JamesN88
I'm not worried at all now. I've got distinctions in every unit so far so am more than confident I'll meet the conditions of my uni offer.

However I'm struggling to motivate myself to do the research project, it's ungraded so only a pass or fail. We've got 4 ungraded units and 16 graded.

Oh you're hard.
Original post by Nameless Ghoul
Oh you're hard.

Are you doing Access or just trolling?
Are you doing Access or just trolling?

Does it matter if I am? The braggy nature of your post remains the same either way.
Does it matter if I am? The braggy nature of your post remains the same either way.

There's nothing boastful about it, I stated the reason for my confidence in completing the course. I'll take your answer as a no.

I'll hand it to you that's the first childish comment I've seen in the mature student section.
There's nothing boastful about it, I stated the reason for my confidence in completing the course. I'll take your answer as a no.

I'll hand it to you that's the first childish comment I've seen in the mature student section.

OP started a thread to talk their anxiety and how they weren't sure they could cope with future work. You then replied that you were doing fine because you had got straight distinctions. You ignored everything OP was saying just to announce that you were doing well. If that is not braggy, my friend, I don't know what is.

Plus not very much to brag about, to be honest. Everyone gets straight distinctions just for turning up.
OP started a thread to talk their anxiety and how they weren't sure they could cope with future work. You then replied that you were doing fine because you had got straight distinctions. You ignored everything OP was saying just to announce that you were doing well. If that is not braggy, my friend, I don't know what is.

Plus not very much to brag about, to be honest. Everyone gets straight distinctions just for turning up.

The OP thought he was slacking because he wasn't worried about the workload not that he couldn't cope with future work, which he clearly can if he's also got straight distinctions so far.

I also mentioned that I was and still am suffering from a lack of motivation on a certain aspect of my course.
The OP thought he was slacking because he wasn't worried about the workload not that he couldn't cope with future work, which he clearly can if he's also got straight distinctions so far.

I also mentioned that I was and still am suffering from a lack of motivation on a certain aspect of my course.

If they don't have the motivation to do work, with full energy, that means that it could affect future work. Simple logic, mate. As someone with all distinctions, you should be able to follow that train of thought quite easily. The prodigious intellect you posses.
If they don't have the motivation to do work, with full energy, that means that it could affect future work. Simple logic, mate. As someone with all distinctions, you should be able to follow that train of thought quite easily. The prodigious intellect you posses.

Only the second childish comment I've ever seen in the mature student section, well done.

It was me that mentioned suffering from a lack of motivation not him. He actually replied to a post from skeptical_john regarding motivation, stating that it wasn't a problem as he finds his course interesting. It appears to me based on previous posts that he's concerned about finding the course too easy which IMO isn't something to be concerned about.
Only the second childish comment I've ever seen in the mature student section, well done.

It was me that mentioned suffering from a lack of motivation not him. He actually replied to a post from skeptical_john regarding motivation, stating that it wasn't a problem as he finds his course interesting. It appears to me based on previous posts that he's concerned about finding the course too easy which IMO isn't something to be concerned about.

He replied later? Great. Do you have the ability to look into the future alongside having that intellect? You didn't know his thoughts or challenges at the time. You simply took it as an opportunity to say how well you were doing. You can disregard it as a childish comment, but ultimately there's nothing more childish than bragging about yourself, desperately grasping for any approval.

Modify your behaviour, learn from your mistakes, and move on. You're boring now, kid.
He replied later? Great. Do you have the ability to look into the future alongside having that intellect? You didn't know his thoughts or challenges at the time. You simply took it as an opportunity to say how well you were doing. You can disregard it as a childish comment, but ultimately there's nothing more childish than bragging about yourself, desperately grasping for any approval.

Modify your behaviour, learn from your mistakes, and move on. You're boring now, kid.

I'm not seeking approval from anyone, least of all someone who joins a thread for the sole purpose of starting an argument.
I'm not seeking approval from anyone, least of all someone who joins a thread for the sole purpose of starting an argument.

My sole purpose was to educate the masses. I was going to post something about my own experiences on the course a couple years back, but instead I saw your egregious attempt to needlessly brag. It's your fault this happened.
My sole purpose was to educate the masses. I was going to post something about my own experiences on the course a couple years back, but instead I saw your egregious attempt to needlessly brag. It's your fault this happened.

So it's my fault that you initially posted a playground level comment rather than shared your experiences?

I suggest you learn from your mistake and refrain from such behavior in the future, the purpose of this forum after all is to share said experiences.

I've noticed on you're profile you're a Law student, probably a very good one as you won't let this go, so despite being a stubborn fuc*ker I'll declare a truce.:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by redinthegrey
Kind of irrelevant, but what pathway are you on?

I'm doing English, History and Sociology :smile:
Original post by JPO92
I'm doing English, History and Sociology :smile:

Do they give you a set word count for essays?

We don't get one, we just get told to answer all the tasks on the assignment so I end up going OTT waffling.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending