The Student Room Group

Revision technique help?

Hi guys,
I'm just planning out my revision timetable now for the A2 exams in June. I was looking for some revision technique advice? I've always just done mindmaps and flashcards, but this year is way more important so I'm looking for the most effective techniques!

Aiming for a B grade.

-Flynn
Original post by flynnmoore 1597
Hi guys,
I'm just planning out my revision timetable now for the A2 exams in June. I was looking for some revision technique advice? I've always just done mindmaps . and flashcards, but this year is way more important so I'm looking for the most effective techniques!

Aiming for a B grade.

-Flynn

Hi. Past papers!! I knoww, everyone says that, but its true! Once you finish a topic in class, do questions on that specific topic (our teachers give us booklets, but if you don't get em, these topic based questions must be available somewhere online). Trust me, even if you feel like you 'can't' answer the questions, USE the markschemes (its not cheating!!). Eventually you'll find you don't need the markschemes for that specific topic because a certain (really high) percentage of the questions are repeats (just different numbers etc.)
And then just do whole past papers (under timed conditions if you want). Mark em and whilst you're doing that, use a different coloured pen to write down any additional points/points you didn't get that are on the MS. Read over these papers, don't chuck them away until after your exams!
Make sure you UNDERSTAND every single point on the spec sheet before your exam :smile:. And bug your teachers, thats what they're there for!! They want you to do well :redface:.
Machemguy videos on youtube are good for OCR...
Have you finished the A2 specification yet?
If you don't mind me asking, What did you get in your GCSE exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Terrificmagenta
Hi. Past papers!! I knoww, everyone says that, but its true! Once you finish a topic in class, do questions on that specific topic (our teachers give us booklets, but if you don't get em, these topic based questions must be available somewhere online). Trust me, even if you feel like you 'can't' answer the questions, USE the markschemes (its not cheating!!). Eventually you'll find you don't need the markschemes for that specific topic because a certain (really high) percentage of the questions are repeats (just different numbers etc.)
And then just do whole past papers (under timed conditions if you want). Mark em and whilst you're doing that, use a different coloured pen to write down any additional points/points you didn't get that are on the MS. Read over these papers, don't chuck them away until after your exams!
Make sure you UNDERSTAND every single point on the spec sheet before your exam :smile:. And bug your teachers, thats what they're there for!! They want you to do well :redface:.

I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING SHE SAID! ^^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by flynnmoore 1597
Hi guys,
I'm just planning out my revision timetable now for the A2 exams in June. I was looking for some revision technique advice? I've always just done mindmaps and flashcards, but this year is way more important so I'm looking for the most effective techniques!

Aiming for a B grade.

-Flynn

Make a giant flowchart of all the reactions you need to know.
Make sure you include reaction conditions, reagents, etc. :h:
Trust me, even if you feel like you 'can't' answer the questions, USE the markschemes (its not cheating!!)

I would highly recommend that you instead go over the topic in question that you can't answer questions on and then re attempt the question rather than just learning the mark scheme as you will get caught out if you don't have a proper understanding in the exam
Original post by samb1234
I would highly recommend that you instead go over the topic in question that you can't answer questions on and then re attempt the question rather than just learning the mark scheme as you will get caught out if you don't have a proper understanding in the exam

Yeah true, I have a thing where i'll never write anything down unless I understand it... But I like to see exactly what the examiners expect from you and then I find I can apply that to other questions. If you don't understand whats written in the MS ask your teachers or go over the topic :redface:
Yeah true, I have a thing where i'll never write anything down unless I understand it... But I like to see exactly what the examiners expect from you and then I find I can apply that to other questions. If you don't understand whats written in the MS ask your teachers or go over the topic :redface:

Trust me it is very easy to read mark schemes and think that you understand it but when it comes to the real thing often you actually won't
Trust me it is very easy to read mark schemes and think that you understand it but when it comes to the real thing often you actually won't

got me 100% in my AS exams though. And the practical assessments. Maybe I understood it before i seen markschemes tho, idkk.
got me 100% in my AS exams though. And the practical assessments. Maybe I understood it before i seen markschemes tho, idkk.

Fair enough then whatever works for you -my lowly 96 can't compete with that lol
Fair enough then whatever works for you -my lowly 96 can't compete with that lol

Loll, well done thats great :smile:

Thank you so much! This has really helped! Gonna print off loads of past papers!!!
Original post by Emily110921
If you don't mind me asking, What did you get in your GCSE exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me? 2A*s, 6As & 3Bs :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest