The Student Room Group

46% of people in England don't believe in free speech

Scroll to see replies

Original post by humanteaparty
Yeh what I meant to say at the start is stuff like racism, homophobia e.t.c. shouldn't be allowed to be said (hence I'm against freedom of speech). I didn't mean I'm against everything that makes people upset.

Ah better but still no cigar

AS long as the speech does not instigate violence against people or institutions then it should be free no matter how abhorrent some people may find it
Original post by Dinasaurus
I believe in freedom of speech to an extent, I don't think it should be used to hate on on people of races or religions or sexualities or whatever, I feel like if someone says the n word or p word or t word even if it was just a joke, I think if their employer wants to fire them or they are publically shamed their is nothing wrong with that. I think if someone makes a rude joke on twitter like I want to kill this person, even if they didn't mean it, if they are arrested, I am fine with that.

I don't think ideas should be protected though, I think hating Muslims is wrong but hating Islam isn't.

This is what I meant earlier! Thank you.
This is what I meant earlier! Thank you.

I think a lot of the 'edge-lords', what they mean is 'freedom to be offensive'.
Original post by BaconandSauce
Ah better but still no cigar

AS long as the speech does not instigate violence against people or institutions then it should be free no matter how abhorrent some people may find it

But what if that speech spreads hate mentally rather than through physical violence? I think that would still be wrong.
But what if that speech spreads hate mentally rather than through physical violence? I think that would still be wrong.

What's wrong with hating something? Or inspiring people to hate something?
(edited 8 years ago)
What's wrong with hating something?

Depends what the person is hating, if its mayonnaise than its fine. If its black people than it wouldn't be fine.
I think a lot of the 'edge-lords', what they mean is 'freedom to be offensive'.

Yes, possibly. And?
Original post by Achaea
Yes, possibly. And?

Well change in this country is favouring my view point, so sucks to be you guys.
Well change in this country is favouring my view point, so sucks to be you guys.

You believe that freedom of speech should be legally taken away from people?
Original post by Achaea
You believe that freedom of speech should be legally taken away from people?

Well it is and I am fine with that.
Depends what the person is hating, if its mayonnaise than its fine. If its black people than it wouldn't be fine.

Again who gets to decide what is right and what isn't

you keep making statements that you then need to clarify given this is a actually a grey area
Yeh what I meant to say at the start is stuff like racism, homophobia e.t.c. shouldn't be allowed to be said (hence I'm against freedom of speech). I didn't mean I'm against everything that makes people upset.

'Shouldn't be allowed to be said' - anywhere? Even in the privacy of people's own homes, in private emails, or what? What do you think should be the penalty? Who gets to decide what's racist?
Well it is and I am fine with that.

OK, then we're done here. People like you scare the heck out of me. Especially with your crowing 'Well change in this country is favouring my view point, so sucks to be you guys.' Feel like I woke up in Soviet Russia this morning.
Reply 73
Original post by Ascend
You are seriously upsetting me with what you are suggesting. Please limit your speech.

I tried to explain this to someone before, that if you take offense where it isn't intentional it's your fault, looked at me like a monster :lol:
Original post by Achaea
OK, then we're done here. People like you scare the heck out of me. Especially with your crowing 'Well change in this country is favouring my view point, so sucks to be you guys.' Feel like I woke up in Soviet Russia this morning.

If you have a problem, get together a group of racists and homophobes and make a party and hope people vote for it.
Again who gets to decide what is right and what isn't

you keep making statements that you then need to clarify given this is a actually a grey area

Man its hard putting my views into words (seems a lot clearer in my head). Looks like you win this argument. :wink:
Original post by Achaea
'Shouldn't be allowed to be said' - anywhere? Even in the privacy of people's own homes, in private emails, or what? What do you think should be the penalty? Who gets to decide what's racist?

In my perfect utopia no one would be racist, homophobic e.t.c but I realise that its probably impossible to accomplish this. So I'm saying those are my views but they're probably never going to happen.
Reply 77
Original post by PrincePaul56777
Nope.

The West is currently on top, so nearly all the latest inventions are going to be Western. That is not surprising.

But it says nothing about white people having any sort of special gift because if they did, they would have been on top for thousands of years, not just hundreds.

Sure whites have invented good stuff but at the same 99.999% of whites have invented nothing.

Your points only work during certain periods of history. In 1300 you could have made the Chinese inventor argument at the time they could have bragged that they have been the most inventive. In 1000 BC you could have made the Egyptian inventor argument.

So called western technology is not because white people are so much smarter than everyone else but because progress in science and invention is built on what has gone before.

The more science you know the more science you can discover. The more inventions you have at hand, the more new inventions you can come up with. That is why the progress is exponential. It comes from the nature of science and technology, not from the nature of white intelligence.

Yes,

Printing Press and Modern Physics which is at the heart of pretty much every invention was a Western invention, we invented the means to distribute said knowldege faster than anyone before us. The Chinese might have had a printing press but it clearly wasn't very good. Who is the Chinese Newton? Egyptian Darwin? Muslim David Hilbert?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Death Grips
I would be for religious people having limits on their free speech.

What limits? And why?

Personally I think the whole thing is ridiculous. I get why we started the concept of "hate speech" as in going up to people in the streets to abuse and harrass them which is an experience which has happened to my friends - Muslim women who wear the hijab in this case. It's very intimidating and theatening and isn't an appropriate way to act in public - free speech does not mean freedom to cause fear (the shouting fire in a crowded bulding example), directly threaten people or incite crime. It DOES most certainly mean the freedom to hold and express any opinion you so wish without repurcussion from the state, even if it is controversial, offensive and out of line with most people's thinking. Limits on what can be said about religion cross this line, and it very much worries me that we seem to be headed in that direction.
Man its hard putting my views into words (seems a lot clearer in my head). Looks like you win this argument. :wink:

No it's OK it's not about winning it's about getting you to understand it's a tricky area and statements that on one had may seem chivalrous (as yours did) fail under certain scrutiny

And I suppose that's my point as long as we are all free to discuss ideas and exchange opinions (not matter how different we find them) that it can only ever be a good thing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending